2 guides? LHFHG and Beyond schedule?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
mae357

2 guides? LHFHG and Beyond schedule?

Post by mae357 » Fri Feb 25, 2011 8:19 am

I'm about to start my dd in K and I have my other dd currently in Beyond. I'm a little nervous to start running 2 guides at once. How do you mama's schedule 2 guides? For history do you read aloud for both? Just combine and not read aloud for both? Any thoughts, experience and suggestions are very much appreciated!

jenntracy

Re: 2 guides? LHFHG and Beyond schedule?

Post by jenntracy » Fri Feb 25, 2011 9:39 am

These are exactly the guides and grades i am doing this year.
I try to have my son do his independent work while doing things with my daughter in LHFHG. Or he will play with his 3 yr old sister. It does help that he can read well. He can read directions and if he doesn't understand he will ask. He can do his math, copywork and some other wkbks on his own.
LHFHG is shorter, so it goes by fast.
I would say our phonics takes the longest (with daughter). And she needs me to be right there with math and some days she is lazy and not focusing on it.
they each have their own storytimes, history, etc. the younger is not ready for the olders history or storytime. she will listen in on parts sometimes but that is all she is doing.
Sometimes they will join in on each other's science but i still do one that is required for each kid. My daughter would not pay attention to everything in my son's guide if I required her to do that instead. That is why the seperate guides.
sometimes we take turns with stuff and sometimes we do all of one kids and then the other kid's.
I do have little laminated charts for each kid that I (or my son) will mark off each subject to keep us on track. Sometimes it depends on the certain projects for the day whether we do them at the end or the beginning of the lessons.
We don't have a specific subject order.
I do try to get my daughter's done fisrt b/c it is shorter and she melts faster in the afternoon than her brother. Really if i ccould get it all done in morning i would. I am preggo and it just hasn't been happening the way i would like it too.
Funny, i just added my 3yr old into the mix yesterday with LHTH. She loved it! and it didn't take long. she has been asking for school and is just now ready for this. She is happy to have school like brother and sister.
Don't know if this helps much, but it can be done :) The kids like having their own guide books.

Jenn D.
Mom to 4 Blessings
DS 14.5 yrs World Geography
DD 13 yrs MTMM
DD 10 yrs CTC
DS 7 yrs Bigger

my3sons

Re: 2 guides? LHFHG and Beyond schedule?

Post by my3sons » Sun Feb 27, 2011 3:16 pm

mae357 wrote:I'm about to start my dd in K and I have my other dd currently in Beyond. I'm a little nervous to start running 2 guides at once. How do you mama's schedule 2 guides? For history do you read aloud for both? Just combine and not read aloud for both? Any thoughts, experience and suggestions are very much appreciated!
Have you looked at the placement chart? That will help you know if dc should be combined or if it would be better if they were not. How old are each of your dc, and can you share a little about your K dd's placement according to the first page of the placement chart? Then we can see if it's a good idea for her to join her older sister or not. We are currently doing 3 HOD guides and enjoying our year so much - so don't worry about doing 2 guides - but do spend some time thinking about proper placement. That's worth the effort! :D
http://www.heartofdakota.com/placing-your-child.php

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie