clueless for DITHOR day 13 "theme" discussion for non-fictio

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
jenntracy

clueless for DITHOR day 13 "theme" discussion for non-fictio

Post by jenntracy » Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:37 pm

Today in DITHOR it was reviewing main idea and introducing theme for the non-fiction genre.
We sorta came up with a theme, but I wasn't explaining it well and don't think I really understood in myself. Then there were 3 questions that all seemed like they were asking the same thing. We could only really think of one theme and, really, it seemed like the main idea of our book, too.
Help!
My son is reading If You Lived in Colonial Times...

thanks

Jenn D.
Mom to 4 Blessings
DS 14.5 yrs World Geography
DD 13 yrs MTMM
DD 10 yrs CTC
DS 7 yrs Bigger

jenntracy

Re: clueless for DITHOR day 13 "theme" discussion for non-fictio

Post by jenntracy » Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:33 pm

bump
Mom to 4 Blessings
DS 14.5 yrs World Geography
DD 13 yrs MTMM
DD 10 yrs CTC
DS 7 yrs Bigger

my3sons

Re: clueless for DITHOR day 13 "theme" discussion for non-fictio

Post by my3sons » Wed Feb 23, 2011 2:23 pm

jenntracy wrote:Today in DITHOR it was reviewing main idea and introducing theme for the non-fiction genre.
We sorta came up with a theme, but I wasn't explaining it well and don't think I really understood in myself. Then there were 3 questions that all seemed like they were asking the same thing. We could only really think of one theme and, really, it seemed like the main idea of our book, too.
Help!
My son is reading If You Lived in Colonial Times...

thanks

Jenn D.
That is a great book, and I remember chatting about you using it. :D I still think it's a good idea, but I'd say because of the layout of the book (one question and its answer at a time, as opposed to one long flowing story), the discussion about theme and main idea may be a little different. I'd say the theme of the book in this case pretty much has to be its title, and the main idea has to pretty much be each page's question, or a group of questions (i.e. living conditions within Colonial times, etc.). HTH! :D

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie