Using the HOD three days a week

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
yayadaisy

Using the HOD three days a week

Post by yayadaisy » Sun Mar 30, 2008 6:39 pm

Hi all I am so excited tomorrow will be my first day using BHFHG with my 8 yr. and 6yr. I can't wait. Although I have an awful cold I am hoping it will be better tomorrow so we will all enjoy HOD. I have a question? Has anyone used any of the HOD's programs three days a week? I would like to do that for my kids and just take it kind of slow. I have a very busy household and don't want to feel like we are rushing through things just to get it done. My oldest has a LD so it might be better for him and my 6 yr. started K this year I hope BLHFHG isn't to much for her we haven't really had a set program for her just doing this and that. But she does well in writing and loves school. We will do three days a week all year long starting now (may take a week off here and there in the summer). That is the plan but as a mom I know that may not work out that way. Just woundering if any others have tried it and how it worked for them?

Sheila
mom to five great kiddo's :P

Tansy

Post by Tansy » Sun Mar 30, 2008 6:50 pm

Confessions of a HODie...

Ok lets face it I have lots and lots of stuff to get done during the day! I have so many appointments. Some days School just doesn't flow and its to full of discipline to get anything done. So yes you can do HOD 3 days a week!

I love how day one is :arrow: NOT Monday for us. Be free! I plan on doing school every day but it doesn't always happen that way. And I have found out it is just fine. We can play Monday and Tuesday then do school Wed, Thurs, Fri. or any combination of days you like. we have even been known to double up on days for one week so she could go to Grandma's the next week. Gotta love flexiblity!
♪♫•*¨*•.¸❤¸.•*¨*•♪♫•*¨*•.¸❤¸.•*¨*•♪♫
Dyslexics of the world Untie!
Adoptive Mom to 2 girls
http://gardenforsara.blogspot.com/
♪♫•*¨*•.¸❤¸.•*¨*•♪♫•*¨*•.¸❤¸.•*¨*•♪♫

paliz

Post by paliz » Sun Mar 30, 2008 6:50 pm

I think it will be fine for the most part. My concer would be drawing the storytime out that long. Since you read a story for 20 to spead that out of that time frame may cause some forgetfulness. Other than that I don't see any problems. I know with Little Heart Carrie has said that you could do one side of the book one day and do the other side the next. I guess what you want to do wouldn't be that different.

yayadaisy

Post by yayadaisy » Mon Mar 31, 2008 11:30 am

Thanks so much ladies! I did my first day today and it went pretty well. I never thought of the story time, but we could read that everyday still and we may do just one page a day or both we will see I guess. I will probably go slow for now and just play it by ear. Thanks again!

Sheila

momof2n2

Post by momof2n2 » Mon Mar 31, 2008 11:36 am

We normally only do HOD three days a week.
We don't do it on Wednesday for 30 weeks a year nor on Friday 20 weeks a year.
It works just fine AND we usually end up getting to read TWO books of each genre, because we read the books even on the days we don't do the curriculum. We just do extra retelling, or something, on those days. We love it!
I will likely not get the entired curriculum done this year, and haven't figured out yet what to do.

Fall 2015
DS 17 -gr.12 full time college student
DS 15- gr. 10 favorites from World Geo and World Hx.
DD 13- gr. 8 Rev to Rev
DD 11- gr. 6 CTC
DD 7 - gr. 2 Beyond
DD 4 - pre-K Rod & Staff and Phonics Pathways