Starting CTC 1/2 way through from another program

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Gwenny

Starting CTC 1/2 way through from another program

Post by Gwenny » Tue Feb 15, 2011 12:40 pm

My oldest daughter is doing another program that is from creation to the fall of Rome. I'm not liking it, and I'm so excited about HOD and the CTC looks so incredible. I am thinking about starting her in CTC, but not at the beginning because I would hate to make here go all the way back and start again, even though in some ways I would like to. However, I would like to be able to move her on in time. :). Right now she is at the time of Homer. If I do this, and tell me if I'm nuts or what, would I need The Story of the Ancient World? She could do most of this program by herself, but I would love for her to work on the skills that HOD offers that she really hasn't done, even though she is so old. (16)
Ideas?
Thanks,
Nancy
Nancy
Dd29 married (w/2 sons 1/2/14, 5/24/16), ds27, dd25 married (w/dd born 8/9/16), dd25, dd22
Dd 19 HS in special ed
Dd14 RevtoRev
Ds12 RevtoRev
Ds 9 Preparing
Dd 5 LHFHG

pjdobro

Re: Where does The Story of the Ancient World end?

Post by pjdobro » Tue Feb 15, 2011 1:45 pm

We aren't to CTC yet, but here are a couple of things that I found that might help:

First the website of the publisher of The Story of the Ancient World says this, "The Story of the Ancient World covers history from Creation at 4004 BC through the conquest of Persia by Alexander the Great at 300 BC.

Second, I found on a timeline that Homer was roughly in the 800 BC time frame. So that would be close to the time of Elisha which would be around unit 13 of CTC.

I'm thinking in looking through the Table of Contents of CTC and looking at the time frame that The Story of the Ancient World covers that it would be used up to about Unit 21 in CTC. Hopefully someone using CTC, can answer this specifically, but hopefully that will give you a rough idea of how much time that book might be used. HTH! :D
Patty in NC

b/g twins '02 Rev2Rev 2014/15
previously enjoyed LHFHG, BLHFHG, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, RTR
Nisi Dominus Frusta (Without God, frustration)
Unless the LORD builds the house, its builders labor in vain. Psalm 127:1

Gwenny

Re: Starting CTC 1/2 way through from another program

Post by Gwenny » Tue Feb 15, 2011 1:57 pm

That so helps, you are amazing to find that for me. I was just looking at the sample week again, it looks so incredible. I think she would think it was fun even though she's so old, the drawing, etc. looks great. She could probably do it way faster since she is more advanced. She's been reading old classics for years and loves The Scottish Chiefs, Gene Stratton-Porter books, and a million more. We just haven't done much writing and not any narration or dictation. Unless you count that we just talk about things we do and books we read in general life. :)
Am I nuts?
Nancy
Nancy
Dd29 married (w/2 sons 1/2/14, 5/24/16), ds27, dd25 married (w/dd born 8/9/16), dd25, dd22
Dd 19 HS in special ed
Dd14 RevtoRev
Ds12 RevtoRev
Ds 9 Preparing
Dd 5 LHFHG

pjdobro

Post by pjdobro » Tue Feb 15, 2011 2:02 pm

Gwenny wrote:That so helps, you are amazing to find that for me. I was just looking at the sample week again, it looks so incredible. I think she would think it was fun even though she's so old, the drawing, etc. looks great. She could probably do it way faster since she is more advanced. She's been reading old classics for years and loves The Scottish Chiefs, Gene Stratton-Porter books, and a million more. We just haven't done much writing and not any narration or dictation. Unless you count that we just talk about things we do and books we read in general life. :)
Am I nuts?
Nancy
I don't think you're nuts at all. If I had time, I think I would try to do all of the programs myself! :D Actually, lucky for me, I eventually probably will make it through all of the programs with my dc. I think the programs are fun and interesting so I'm sure your dd would enjoy it. I guess if you are considering actually using it fully for high school in place of your other program though, you would need to look at those threads where they talk about using these programs for high school credit.
Patty in NC

b/g twins '02 Rev2Rev 2014/15
previously enjoyed LHFHG, BLHFHG, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, RTR
Nisi Dominus Frusta (Without God, frustration)
Unless the LORD builds the house, its builders labor in vain. Psalm 127:1

seekhimfirst

Post by seekhimfirst » Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:53 pm

Took a quick look through our CTC guide and it appears that The Story of the Ancient World is finished in Unit 18. HTH! :D
Whatever you do, do your work heartily, as for the Lord rather than for men, knowing it is from the Lord you will receive the reward of inheritance. It is the Lord Christ whom you serve.
Col 3:23-24

11yo CTC
7yo Bigger
5yo LHFHG

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:55 pm

You are not nuts at all. Who could resist CTC? I wanted to do it all - even the drawing and the writing and especially the reading of the fabulous books right along with my ds last year! I think you could definitely begin where you left off in history with the other program, especially as you are thinking to start her in RTR next year anyway, why not give her a jump start on all those Charlotte Mason style LA skills, as well as get her having some FUN with CTC?!?

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

Gwenny

Post by Gwenny » Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:20 pm

Oh good, I was hoping you would agree because I really want to do it....I mean, HER to do it. :)haha
I'm ordering now!!! I'm so excited that this is just what we need.

Nancy
Nancy
Dd 19 HS in special ed
Dd14 RevtoRev
Ds12 RevtoRev
Ds 9 Preparing
Dd 5 LHFHG

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:34 pm

Well, hooray! Let the fun begin. :D You'll have to share your "box day" with us - we love those days!
In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

Gwenny

Post by Gwenny » Wed Feb 16, 2011 4:10 pm

Yes I will share! I actually got a box on Friday with some of the manuals to look at. They are just as fantastic as I thought. I'm going crazy because I have a big box of HOD waiting unopened for me at home. I'm in Florida with my kiddos until next Wednesday. I can't wait to get back. What will be fun though is that I'm placing another order while I'm here and I'll have 2 boxes to open! Then we'll get started!! :)
Thanks for all the help and wisdom. I'm excited that you all helped me figure out not to do preparing with my 14 yo but to combine with the 8.5 yo in Bigger w/extensions. I know that's best.

Blessings,
Nancy
Nancy
Dd 19 HS in special ed
Dd14 RevtoRev
Ds12 RevtoRev
Ds 9 Preparing
Dd 5 LHFHG