Biblical Philosophy and Goals in HOD

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
abrightmom

Re: Biblical Philosophy and Goals in HOD

Post by abrightmom » Mon Feb 07, 2011 7:42 pm

I agree with Bramble! This is a fantastic thread and Carrie's responses are phenomenal! Thank-you Carrie for carving out precious, precious time and energy to share your heart. I cannot say enough how thankful my family is for Heart of Dakota. :D
Katrina 8) Wife to Ben, husband extraordinaire! God is so good!
2019-2020 plans
Jax DS17 HOD subjects: US1 Lit + US2 LL + IPC
Logan DS15 MtMM + extensions
Chloe DD13 MtMM
Levi DS10 PHFHG

pjdobro

Post by pjdobro » Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:05 pm

I would also like to say "thank you" Carrie for your wonderful response. It brought tears to my eyes to read your goals and philosophy for our dc. What a wonderful ministry you have! I feel very blessed to have found HOD! :D
Patty in NC

b/g twins '02 Rev2Rev 2014/15
previously enjoyed LHFHG, BLHFHG, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, RTR
Nisi Dominus Frusta (Without God, frustration)
Unless the LORD builds the house, its builders labor in vain. Psalm 127:1

Candice

Post by Candice » Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:07 pm

I wanted to say thank you to Kathy for bringing this important topic up and thank you Carrie for your very thoughtful and informative responses.

Candice

Heidi in AK

Post by Heidi in AK » Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:04 pm

What a fantastic response, Carrie. Thanks for sharing your HEART. I am ever so much more excited about continuing down this path. I can tell you that I bypassed other living-books curricula because they don't put the condition of the heart at the HEART of this curriculum like you did.
Heidi
loving teaching my rewards!!!
Girlie (dd7) - Beyond, 4 days/week
Boy-o (ds4), LHTH, along for the ride!!! (all boy, whatever he can get his hands on, FULL OF ENERGY!)
Psalm 78:3-7

http://heidihovan.blogspot.com

JoyinIndo

Post by JoyinIndo » Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:25 am

I just wanted to chime in to say how GRATEFUL I am for Carrie's heart and wise response. As a missionary living overseas, I sometimes get discouraged when people think that overseas missionaries are the only "real" missionaries. I SO agree with Carrie, in that, we are called to proclaim the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and honor and bring Him glory in whatever task He has given us to do. Anything from garbage collecting, sewing, doctoring, staying at home with kiddos, or writing amazing homeschool curriculum! It makes my heart glad that THIS is the heart of HOD curriculum!!
I have a friend that used a one year curriculum with her children focusing on missions around the world, and at the end of it, her kids actually felt sad and discouraged because they were not missionaries living overseas. I think that when we put overseas missions on a pedestal instead of teaching children that missions is wherever you are (and that overseas missionaries are just regular, fallen, sinful people), we run the risk of miseducating our children.

So, thank you for taking that stance Carrie!!!

"Wherever you are, be all there. Live to the hilt every situation you believe to be the will of God." - Jim Elliot

Blessings!
JoyinIndo

Samuel'sMommy

Post by Samuel'sMommy » Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:06 pm

I also just wanted to say thank you Carrie for taking the time to answer our questions even in the midst of a busy writing season! I don't know of any other author who is so involved in the message boards and so willing to take the time out to answer things. I love what you said about missions being wherever you are and am so excited about continuing through the guides with my son!
Stephanie
Wife to Adam for 25 years
Mom to Samuel (18 - freshman in college), Isaiah (8), and Judah (4) through the miracle of adoption
Using and loving LHTH & BLHFHG

Loved using LHTH, LHFHG, BLHFHG, BHFHG, PHFHG, CTC, & RTR!

water2wine

Post by water2wine » Tue Feb 08, 2011 4:12 pm

Heidi in AK wrote:What a fantastic response, Carrie. Thanks for sharing your HEART. I am ever so much more excited about continuing down this path. I can tell you that I bypassed other living-books curricula because they don't put the condition of the heart at the HEART of this curriculum like you did.
Ditto! And agreeing with Stephanie. Nobody takes this kind of time. It is way beyond what I'd expect form anyone other than HOD. :D And praise God we have it.
All your children shall be taught by the LORD, and great shall be the peace of your children. Isaiah 54:13
~Six lovies from God~4 by blessing of adoption
-MTMM (HS), Rev to Rev, CTC, DITHR
We LOVED LHFHG/Beyond/Bigger/Preparing/CTC/RTR/Rev to Rev (HS)

Heart_Mom

Post by Heart_Mom » Tue Feb 08, 2011 4:29 pm

water2wine wrote:
Heidi in AK wrote:What a fantastic response, Carrie. Thanks for sharing your HEART. I am ever so much more excited about continuing down this path. I can tell you that I bypassed other living-books curricula because they don't put the condition of the heart at the HEART of this curriculum like you did.
Ditto! And agreeing with Stephanie. Nobody takes this kind of time. It is way beyond what I'd expect form anyone other than HOD. :D And praise God we have it.
Agreeing here also! I'm so thankful to have found this curriculum this year . . . and I'm planning on using it for many years to come! :D

"Above all else guard your heart, for it is the wellspring of life."
Blessings,
Elisabeth

ds - 17
dd - 14
dd - 12
ds - 9
dd - 5 (Little Hearts for His Glory)

Proverbs 4:23 "Above all else, guard your heart, for it is the wellspring of life."

tjswaine

Post by tjswaine » Wed Feb 09, 2011 6:37 pm

Thank you, Carrie and Julie, for your dedication, commitment and love shown to this board and to HOD. It is greatly appreciated!
In Him,
{Jess}
2012-2013:
Logan ds {10} ~ Preparing, SM 4A, DGP, McGuffey, etc.
Connor ds {8} ~ Preparing. SM 2B, DGP, McGuffey, etc.
Charlene dd {4} ~ The Reading Lesson, SM Earlybird, C-rods, Verbal Math Lesson, etc.
Evan ds {1}
Quinn dd {0}

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Fri Feb 11, 2011 4:35 pm

Kathy,

Thanks so much for coming back to clarify a bit more what your thoughts have been and what you're pondering. It helps me to have a bit of insight into your thinking, and I appreciate it so much that you've shared it with us! :D The Lord knows what you need, and He will answer you!

Blessings,
Carrie

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Fri Feb 11, 2011 4:40 pm

Ladies,

Thank you so much for the gracious outpouring of love that you have provided on this thread. It did my heart so much good to read, as at times I truly am not sure where to put my time. I know you all have demands on your time, as I do too. So, it filled my cup to know that this thread has been helpful to so many of you. :D I honestly lost my second post on the thread, after I had it all typed out and had to start from scratch again, which contributed even greater to the time it took to respond. :shock: Yet, God knows best and knew typing it all over and thinking through it one more time would clarify it all even better in my own mind. So, I am sure that the post you read is the one He desired! :D

Blessings,
Carrie