O/T Does anyone else do Foreign Language before high school?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Tree House Academy

O/T Does anyone else do Foreign Language before high school?

Post by Tree House Academy » Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:24 am

The only thing we add to HOD is French. I am about fed up with my French curriculum choice this year and was wondering if anyone here had any suggestions. My older ds is in 6th grade.
~Rebecca~

ds13(8th) - Rev to Rev w/ TT Pre-Algebra, R&S English 6, CLE Reading 8, Rosetta Stone French
ds9 (4th) - Preparing Hearts, TT Math 4, R&S English 3, CLE Reading 4, & Writeshop Jr.

We have completed LHFHG, BLHFHG, Bigger, CTC, & RTR.

momtofive

Re: O/T Does anyone else do Foreign Language before high school?

Post by momtofive » Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:33 am

Hi Rebecca! :D

I asked a (sort of) similar question recently. I read a reply Carrie gave to someone else where she mentioned that they are doing Spanish with their ninth grader. She went on to mention that they have been teaching all their children Greek, as well. So I directed my questions more to her specifically, but basicly have the same question as you do! :wink:

I'll be watching, too, to see what others have to say!

(By the way, I love seeing the week in review posts of your son's work. They're doing great! :D We, too, are having a great school year with HOD. There has been such a blessed change in our school days, that only the Lord could give! He's using this curriculum in mighty ways. Congrat's on such a wonderful year with HOD! :D )

In Christ,

Lisa

Tree House Academy

Post by Tree House Academy » Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:53 am

Aww..thank you Lisa. I have enjoyed posting our updates. I make it a personal goal each week to report our progress - as much for US as for others to see. :mrgreen: I love looking back through the pictures I have taken, the activities that we have done, and remembering the fun we have had learning with HOD this year. We are very excited to continue on to Bigger and RTR next fall too! :)
~Rebecca~

ds13(8th) - Rev to Rev w/ TT Pre-Algebra, R&S English 6, CLE Reading 8, Rosetta Stone French
ds9 (4th) - Preparing Hearts, TT Math 4, R&S English 3, CLE Reading 4, & Writeshop Jr.

Tree House Academy

Post by Tree House Academy » Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:07 pm

Bump
~Rebecca~

aprilmd

Post by aprilmd » Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:56 pm

We have added spanish. All my children are using Rosetta Stone two days a week for twenty minutes each day. I figure by the time my children get to high school they will have a basic understanding.
April - BHFHG, CTC, RTR, RevtoRev, MTMM, WG & now WORLD HIST
2014-2015
DD 16- World Hist, Chemistry, R&S Eng. 7, Saxon Adv Math
DD 15- World Hist, Bio, R&S Eng. 7, Saxon Adv Math
DD 13- MTMM/ext, finish R&S Eng. 6, Saxon Alg 1

homeforhim

Post by homeforhim » Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:37 pm

Hi Rebecca,

I use Mission Monde and really like it. Because I am in Canada, I start French in grade 3. With my oldest who is in grade 6 (same as yours), I actually have him in the same level as his younger sibling (grade 4) because I hopped around too much with French curriculums in his first two years. I have heard that learning a foreign language is best done with more than one student and I believe it to be true. I have used Mission Monde for two years now and have them both in level 2. It begins with level 1 for grade 3 and goes up to level 6 for grade 8.

It is best used if you are involved in the program. I love teaching French so this wasn't an issue for me. You would have to evaluate that for your situation. The theme is a mission family in French speaking countries like France, Quebec, and then an African country (Burundi?), etc. and this adds an element of interest. There is an audio CD, teacher's manual (with games and flashcards included), and consumable workbook. I do stretch each of her lessons to about 3 lessons as we like to keep French to about 15 minutes. Also, I just review as much as I want until I am sure they have it before the unit is finished (5 units). You can purchase it through the Learning House in Goderich, Ontario (just google Learning House).

Another good one in French Essentials and it has a DVD component. I just found that it was lacking in review.

I hope that helps! :D

Rachael
DS 15 M2MM
DS 12 M2MM
Enjoyed Preparing, CTC, Res2Ref, & Rev2Rev

birchbark

Post by birchbark » Fri Feb 04, 2011 3:38 pm

We're on our second year of Spanish, using La Clase Divertida. Can't help you with French though! :D
Married to a wonderful man since 1995
DS
DS
DD
DS

Mommamo

Post by Mommamo » Fri Feb 04, 2011 3:47 pm

We are also in the 2nd level of La Clase Divertida. It says it's for pre-k - 6th grade, but I think it's better geared towards older kids. I'm not thrilled with it. I prefer a more immersion based curriculum for language learning and really don't like how it's taught. So basically we are trying to go with just reading a lot of books in Spanish to the kids for now and watching Sesame Street in Spanish. It's working alright.
Momma to my 4 sweeties:
DD 14 - MTMM and DITHOR (completed LHFHG, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, took a couple years off, and now she's back!)
DS 11 and DD 9 - Preparing(completed 2 rounds of LHTH, LHFHG, Beyond, and Bigger)
DD 6 - LHFHG

4Hispraise

Post by 4Hispraise » Fri Feb 04, 2011 9:28 pm

I've taught my kiddos Spanish since birth. :wink: We don't use a curriculum, just daily conversation. I read a lot of books in Spanish, speak as we accomplish daily activities, and print some worksheets occasionally. I have coloring books in Spanish for the 2yo. Both kids love to hear books in Spanish....it is especially helpful if they are familiar with the book in English. Sorry, not much help here with a curriculum. We have tried many, but have found learning happens best in context of life. :D
Shelly- bride of 22 yrs. to My Hero
Mom to 2 treasures on earth, and 2 treasures in Heaven
DS - 16
DS - 7 Bigger Hearts For His Glory