LHTH Math

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
erin.kate

LHTH Math

Post by erin.kate » Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:43 am

Good morning,

After talking to many of you wonderful mamas, to Mike, and to Carrie ... we have a plan. :D

So, first, thank you!

Question about LHTH math ...

What is the math like? Is there much of it for preschoolers? What are the early math skills my kids will be learning? The reason I ask is my son (who is 5ish and will be newly from Ethiopia) will be doing LHTH while my dd5 will be doing LHTH with him plus the right side of LHFHG. I wonder if the math skills are too young for my son, and if I should buy Singapore K for him, too.

Maybe it's just a wait-and-see thing for him, but since I'm placing my order, I thought I'd save on some shipping if possible. :wink:

Thank you!
Erin Kate
♥erin kate
mae 9, viola 6, james 5, jack 4
http://www.beautifulblur.com♥

MomtoJGJE

Re: LHTH Math

Post by MomtoJGJE » Fri Jan 28, 2011 12:05 pm

Well... I'd go ahead and order it. You know you'll need it sometime, whether he needs it now or not.

daybreaking

Post by daybreaking » Fri Jan 28, 2011 12:06 pm

It sounds like your son is not here, yet, from Ethiopia? Do you have any information about his literacy or past learning? The reason I ask is that my niece has adopted four children from Ethiopia. About five years ago she adopted two boys (1 & 4) and at the end of last year, she adopted two girls (a baby and a 13 year old). None of them knew any English at all when they arrived in America and it took months before they were able to communicate well in English. Although It wouldn't hurt to go ahead and order the Singapore math books, since you'll be using them down the road, anyhow, I think it would be very difficult to work on math before your son is fluent in English.

Wife to one amazing husband and mother to two precious blessings from above:
ds21 & dd16

erin.kate

Post by erin.kate » Fri Jan 28, 2011 12:28 pm

daybreaking wrote:It sounds like your son is not here, yet, from Ethiopia? Do you have any information about his literacy or past learning? The reason I ask is that my niece has adopted four children from Ethiopia. About five years ago she adopted two boys (1 & 4) and at the end of last year, she adopted two girls (a baby and a 13 year old). None of them knew any English at all when they arrived in America and it took months before they were able to communicate well in English. Although It wouldn't hurt to go ahead and order the Singapore math books, since you'll be using them down the road, anyhow, I think it would be very difficult to work on math before your son is fluent in English.
He will be home in June. He is getting very basic preschool at his orphanage ... he knows his letters, not sounds, and is learning very basic English words and we are learning ASL to ease our communication. You are completely right that he will not be on par with our other 5-year-old, but we have so many adoptive friends who say that their kids absolutely blossom in the first 6-8 months and at his age they are putting their kids in Kinder, which I know that he will not be ready for, both academically and emotionally. I just want to have my bases covered. :)

It's probably better to order it to have it on hand and if I find he can handle it and would enjoy it then I am ready to offer that new level of learning.

Thank you for replying!
Erin Kate
♥erin kate

erin.kate

Post by erin.kate » Fri Jan 28, 2011 12:28 pm

daybreaking wrote:It sounds like your son is not here, yet, from Ethiopia? Do you have any information about his literacy or past learning? The reason I ask is that my niece has adopted four children from Ethiopia. About five years ago she adopted two boys (1 & 4) and at the end of last year, she adopted two girls (a baby and a 13 year old). None of them knew any English at all when they arrived in America and it took months before they were able to communicate well in English. Although It wouldn't hurt to go ahead and order the Singapore math books, since you'll be using them down the road, anyhow, I think it would be very difficult to work on math before your son is fluent in English.
He will be home in June. He is getting very basic preschool at his orphanage ... he knows his letters, not sounds, and is learning very basic English words and we are learning ASL to ease our communication. You are completely right that he will not be on par with our other 5-year-old, but we have so many adoptive friends who say that their kids absolutely blossom in the first 6-8 months and at his age they are putting their kids in Kinder, which I know that he will not be ready for, both academically and emotionally. I just want to have my bases covered. :)

It's probably better to order it to have it on hand and if I find he can handle it and would enjoy it then I am ready to offer that new level of learning.

Thank you for replying!
Erin Kate
♥erin kate

Samuel'sMommy

Post by Samuel'sMommy » Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:20 pm

If you look at the intro to LHTH here http://www.heartofdakota.com/pdf/little-hands-intro.pdf and scroll down to the last page, it has the scope and sequence for what math skills are introduced. Also, I know that on many of them there will be an older and younger option so if it's a skill that he doesn't know at all you could use the younger option, but if its one he's somewhat familiar with you could use the older option to make it a little more challenging even if he's not quite ready for Earlybird Math. Does that make sense?
Stephanie
Wife to Adam for 25 years
Mom to Samuel (18 - freshman in college), Isaiah (8), and Judah (4) through the miracle of adoption
Using and loving LHTH & BLHFHG

Loved using LHTH, LHFHG, BLHFHG, BHFHG, PHFHG, CTC, & RTR!

Mom4Him

Post by Mom4Him » Fri Jan 28, 2011 3:45 pm

The Math in LHTH is gentle & sweet & perfect for my 4-year old right now. :D It also made for an easy transition into the K-level math in LHFHG for my 2 daughters! :D
I say, if you can, get it now- & if he is ready for it- go for it, & if he needs a little more time- then you have it for later. :D
Jessica

erin.kate

Post by erin.kate » Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:43 pm

Samuel'sMommy wrote:If you look at the intro to LHTH here http://www.heartofdakota.com/pdf/little-hands-intro.pdf and scroll down to the last page, it has the scope and sequence for what math skills are introduced. Also, I know that on many of them there will be an older and younger option so if it's a skill that he doesn't know at all you could use the younger option, but if its one he's somewhat familiar with you could use the older option to make it a little more challenging even if he's not quite ready for Earlybird Math. Does that make sense?
Thank you so much! Why didn't I think of reading this first. :roll:

Super helpful, yes! I think that LHTH will be just what he needs, but over time he might need a little more umph. Perfect.

Many thanks!
♥erin kate

erin.kate

Post by erin.kate » Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:45 pm

Mom4Him wrote:The Math in LHTH is gentle & sweet & perfect for my 4-year old right now. :D It also made for an easy transition into the K-level math in LHFHG for my 2 daughters! :D
I say, if you can, get it now- & if he is ready for it- go for it, & if he needs a little more time- then you have it for later. :D
Jessica
Hi Jessica,

You are quite right. I should have it on hand so that I am ready when he is ready, but I'll let him learn and absorb and wonder at his own pace. Everything, including math, will be so new to him.

So thankful for your reply,
Erin Kate
♥erin kate