A little schedule change, and WOW

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
my3sons

A little schedule change, and WOW

Post by my3sons » Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:21 pm

In January, I always do a little reflecting and see if the schedule/routine could work better another way. School has been going very, very well overall, and we've been finishing by lunch time. But, thinking about each of my dc - my oldest was struggling doing his LA last in the school day with me, my middle ds has become much more independent with Bigger Hearts, and my youngest ds is ready for more LHTH and some very gentle phonics. Also, my middle ds and youngest ds have begun to love to play together, and they do it well. So...

I decided to try those 2 starting their day with a 45 minute playtime, and do my oldest LA first. WOW! It worked well. :D

I also have said before how a schedule is something I use to begin with, but then after about a month, it's more of a routine. I find explaining the flexibility the "routine" then gives me hard to put into words. I retyped my day (mainly because I'll have my parents here doing school occasionally during book fair season), but I was thinking it might help someone else see how blocks of time can be scheduled, but the order of what's done within those blocks can be flexible. Likewise, a block of time works well because it's not time specific for each thing that is done, but rather for a chunk of boxes. My teaching blocks of time are for teaching, and teaching only, especially for my oldest ds. I have found that it is a waste of my time and an annoyance to them when I am sitting near them watching them finish out independently the end of what I just taught, so for this reason it works well to end a teaching block time with something they are finishing out. An independent block of time works well next then, and for the youngers (BHFHG and even PHFHG at first) a markerboard with what needs to be done next and the order is very helpful. It allows the order of the work to be flexible, but keeps the general routine of independent work steady. It's also important for me to check work as time permits during the school day, and for the older guides (CTC on up), I schedule a time to check all work done up to that point and meet with ds to help him with any needed changes (much better than interrupting his work time for this change or that throughout the morning. :wink: I've been doing this routine off a legal pad of scrawled notes, so I hope I typed it correctly and didn't forget anything. Anyway, in case it might help someone, here it is...

I wanted to add that ending for each ds with a time that he can just have free time if he's done is very motivating. Likewise, ending the school day with independent things has allowed me to exercise again. I need to do this for my thyroid condition especially, and it fills my cup to have that time that's a little more for me in the day too. :D HTH someone else on this homeschool journey somehow! :D

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

mindywp

Re: A little schedule change, and WOW

Post by mindywp » Thu Jan 20, 2011 2:08 pm

Hi Julie!

Thank you for sharing your schedule, I enjoy seeing how others spend their "school" time. I also have a question....I notice for your ds using RTR, you schedule a block for the teacher instructed subjects. Do you go over the teacher instructed boxes, then have him do the subjects on his own? For example, I go over Math with my dd, then she does her lesson, then I go over R&S Grammar with her, then she does her lesson, etc. So, I am basically working with her from about 8:30 until we complete all the Teacher instructed boxes (usually around 3 1/2 hours, sometimes more!), then she does her independent work. I have a feeling I am not using my time wisely. My dd also tends to draw things out & loses focus, so I have to work pretty hard to keep her on a timed schedule. She could do school all day & not care. :shock: I usually end up doing school with ds 4 at the end of the day.

I would love any additional advice on our school day. I have a feeling it could be a lot better! :)

Thank you!
Mindy
Married to Brian & the mother of two beautiful blessings:
dd 13 yrs, RTR, Rod & Staff math, La Clase Divertida 2
ds 5 yrs, LHTH, La Clase Divertida Spanish 1, Handle on the Arts

Mercy

Post by Mercy » Thu Jan 20, 2011 5:00 pm

Totally encouraged by your schedule!
I sat and wrote out my plan for when I start HOD after reading yours.

Sort of did a similar thing...won't post the whole thing here, but just wanted to share bits & pieces. ;o)

3yo LHTH, 6yo LHFHG, 11yo PHFHG (11yo working mostly independent, hopefully)

7:00 -Mom wake, get dressed, tidy up room
7:30- Mom pray & read, all three kids are getting dressed & tidying their room(s).
8:00-Mom check laundry, make breakfast & prep lunch/dinner, Children doing their morning chores
8:30-Breakfast then Mom prep for day, children table chores
9:00-Mom school with 3yo, 6yo join, 11yo bible quiet time
9:30-Mom school w 11yo at table (bible q's, dictation, english), 3yo "rug time" play, 6yo fine motor skills & math at table
10:00-Mom school w 11yo (poetry, reading q's from history & story time - which he will do independently), 3yo & 6yo playtime
10:30-Snack Time, 6yo phonics w mom, 11yo math
10:45-Mom tuck in 3yo for nap, 6yo phonics cd, 11yo independent work (History, Science, Projects, Reading, etc.)
11:00-Mom school w 6yo - bible, rhymes, history, science, story, 11yo continue independent
12:30-School Done! Lunch Time, Table chores...
1:00 -Free Play ;o)

I actually shared most of it except chores. oops! Of course times are totally variable, but these are the goals. Also, keep in mind this is totally a plan still - I haven't gotten the curriculum yet, so...What do you think?
Mercy
14yob- World Geo Guide
8yog- BHFHG
5yob- LHFHG

psreit

Post by psreit » Thu Jan 20, 2011 7:13 pm

Mercy -Sounds great!

I wish I could follow a schedule. :roll: And I only school one with a baby. :? Old habits die hard. I just turned 49 and I have never followed a schedule in the home. :oops: Can it be done? There are days I really want to try and then I give up. :cry: I sort of try to follow a routine in certain aspects of the schooling and with the baby, but that is all. It's so hard to even get a regular bedtime. :( But this post is inspiring me to get at least a general schedule together. :wink:

Julie- Thanks for posting this and encouraging me. I can't do all the detailed scheduling, but I can do something to make our day run smoother and more efficiently. :D I begin tonight by getting the girls to bed earlier. :)
I have no greater joy than to hear that my children walk in truth. III John 4
Pam
dh 33 yrs
ds29 church planter in MA
dd27 SAH mom
dd26
dd 12
3 dgs(5,2, & born 6/15) & 2 dgd(3 & born 2/15)

John'smom

Post by John'smom » Thu Jan 20, 2011 7:40 pm

psreit wrote:Mercy -Sounds great!

I wish I could follow a schedule. :roll: And I only school one with a baby. :? Old habits die hard. I just turned 49 and I have never followed a schedule in the home. :oops: Can it be done? There are days I really want to try and then I give up. :cry: I sort of try to follow a routine in certain aspects of the schooling and with the baby, but that is all. It's so hard to even get a regular bedtime. :( But this post is inspiring me to get at least a general schedule together. :wink:

Julie- Thanks for posting this and encouraging me. I can't do all the detailed scheduling, but I can do something to make our day run smoother and more efficiently. :D I begin tonight by getting the girls to bed earlier. :)
I was just going to suggest that maybe you could start your morning with say 3 things that you always do as soon as you get up (whatever time), say Bible, Shower, Start Laundry. Whatever the 3 may be, it would be a start where you're using a routine. KWIM? Later you could add another 2 things, then eventually have a afternoon, then an evening one. Just start slow if it's something you desire. :)
Edwena
*Married to my best friend for 16 yrs
*Mom to ds (15), dd (13), dd #2(3)
*Combining my dc in WG (2017-2018)
*Completed and absolutely loved BLHFHG through MTMM

Mercy

Post by Mercy » Thu Jan 20, 2011 7:43 pm

Oh, I love to MAKE schedules!
Following them...um...not so much. LOL!

I HAVE gotten to the point (a few times now, finally!) that the schedule is a blessing, instead of always feeling guilty about not being able to follow it. I can totally relate!

I am saying this to say - it really is possible to have a plan that really DOES work!!

It started by revolving around our meals.
Before breakfast goals and before lunch goals...that is a schedule! :)
You are probably in more of a schedule than you know actually!
The difference is you are trying to tweak what IS working for you so that you can accomplish your goals, if that makes sense?

For us, I just gave up on trying to get my kiddos in bed early...it just wasn't happening. My husband is a bit of a night owl and I would always get discouraged that my children were staying up so late. Then one day I realized - Why not? If my husband wants to go out for donuts at 9pm on a tuesday night - why fight it? That is one thing that is a blessing about homeschooling. If we sleep in late, we just use our schedule as a "to do list." Peace comes sometimes by just surrendering to the way life flows instead of fighting it.

Not saying that you shouldn't have your children in bed at a decent time. Every home & situation is different. But, the concept can be applied also to any part of the schedule. For awhile my 2yo was constantly getting in the kitchen, digging around. Then, one day it hit me...well, duh! He's hungry! He just needed more snacks than I was giving him. :roll: So, I started doing more snack times to be more in control. I was prepared already knowing that he would be wanting to eat at certain times. :lol:

Or, if you know at certain times you are more tired or have more energy, etc. that will affect whatever schedule you make, kwim?

You prob. weren't looking for advice, but I just wanted to share my experiences & tell you I totally relate to your feelings about schedules!!

Mercy
Mercy
14yob- World Geo Guide
8yog- BHFHG
5yob- LHFHG

Mercy

Post by Mercy » Thu Jan 20, 2011 7:46 pm

I was just going to suggest that maybe you could start your morning with say 3 things that you always do as soon as you get up (whatever time), say Bible, Shower, Start Laundry. Whatever the 3 may be, it would be a start where you're using a routine. KWIM? Later you could add another 2 things, then eventually have a afternoon, then an evening one. Just start slow if it's something you desire.
I cannot believe you said that. I totally wrote almost the exact thing, then I just said what I said...which was sort of the same thing. WHOA! LOL!!

Just thought that was funny.
But, so true. That's exactly how I started scheduling...just 3 goals at a time until I could add some more. ;)
Mercy
14yob- World Geo Guide
8yog- BHFHG
5yob- LHFHG

psreit

Post by psreit » Thu Jan 20, 2011 8:23 pm

Yes, just starting a few at a time would be a big help. I was thinking today, , maybe even before Julie posted this, that I actually do have somewhat of a routine, at least to start my day. The baby gets up first, so I change and feed her, then I put her down to play with her mobile play gym, then I have some time to myself to do other things, devotions, laundry, breakfast, etc., before dd(7) gets up. We also follow a basic routine with HOD to start - History/Bible, verse and song, then storytime. The other things aren't necessarily part of the routine. That is where we fall apart. I need to really make the rest of the boxes a routine or schedule. We get side-tracked and then the rest of school sometimes gets sporadic. I need to make sure it is getting done early, because dd works best early in the day.
Pam
dh 33 yrs
dd27 SAH mom
dd26
dd 12

Bramble

Post by Bramble » Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:12 pm

Mindy,
I'm not Julie but I wanted to share what I do with my 9 yo son in Bigger Hearts. We sit on the couch and go through the guide. As we come to an assignment, I write it in his assignment notebook and explain it. After we've gone through all subjects, I send him to his desk to complete the list of assignments. He knows he can always come to me with questions, but mostly he doesn't ever need me after we've been through things. I highly recommend this way instead of what you are currently doing. Give it a try!

mindywp

Post by mindywp » Fri Jan 21, 2011 7:34 am

Thank you so much for your suggestion. I have been brainstorming all night on how to revamp our day & your suggestion is pretty close to what I was thinking. I will try it today...do you have a time limit for each subject or an overall completion time for the day?

Thanks,
Mindy
Married to Brian & the mother of two beautiful blessings:
dd 13 yrs, RTR, Rod & Staff math, La Clase Divertida 2
ds 5 yrs, LHTH, La Clase Divertida Spanish 1, Handle on the Arts

daybreaking

Post by daybreaking » Fri Jan 21, 2011 8:04 am

I love the idea of having a shorter school day and how HOD is designed to be able to be completed in a few hours. I just wish there were some way I could make that work for us. Unfortunately, we live in "regulation heavy" New York and are required to homeschool for an average of five hours a day at the 1-6 grade level and five and a half hours a day for the 7-12 grade level (i.e., 900 or 990 hours a school year). I was looking at Riley's schedule and oh, would my 8yo ds love a schedule like that! I do include my ds's violin practice and nighttime reading as part of our hours, plus we do some homeschooling over the summer, but even with that, he still seems to have quite a long day. :( Perhaps I'm too careful about what I include for hours. For instance, both of my dc take an hour quiet time in the afternoon, where they listen to audiobooks of (what I consider to be) good literature, plus both enjoy an occasional educational video. I've never considered them as part of our hours. I'd love some suggestions for being able to use HOD, while also abiding with state regulations for required hours.

Wife to one amazing husband and mother to two precious blessings from above:
ds21 & dd17

psreit

Post by psreit » Fri Jan 21, 2011 8:41 am

daybreaking- I guess New York is a little worse than PA, but I would think you could count your audiobooks (that wouldn't be any different than storytime in HOD) and also good educational videos should count. Any extra reading they do should count. Count some of their physical activities for fitness, even if it is just jumping on a trampoline, riding bike, etc. I know with the cold weather, it may be harder to do fitness, depending where you live. We got a mini trampoline for dd to put in the basement, so she can burn some energy. I don't have to record time until this fall when dd is 8, but I will count that for fitness. Fortunately PA lets us count hours OR days. So, in the past with my olders, I have gone the day route. :) Hours would be harder to record. You could let you dc help in preparing meals, if you plant a garden in the spring, let them learn a little about gardening, etc. That should count for science. You could take the science topic from HOD, the storytime book, etc. and have the children do a simple lapbook. It is cutting, coloring and pasting, which may be fun for youngers. You can find websites with printouts for the lapbook. The best one I have found is www.homeschoolshare.com. They have LOTS of topics or book titles. I just share this to give you ways to extend your hours using HOD. Hope something helps.
Pam
dh 33 yrs
dd27 SAH mom
dd26
dd 12

christina101902

Post by christina101902 » Fri Jan 21, 2011 12:03 pm

daybreaking- you may want to consider their quiet time to go under what we know as Study Hall. It should totally count toward their hours, as well as things like outdoor play should be considered PE.

Christina
Christina

Desiree 5-LHFHG K
2- 1yr olds- dancing and singing along

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Sat Jan 22, 2011 9:32 am

mindywp wrote:...I notice for your ds using RTR, you schedule a block for the teacher instructed subjects. Do you go over the teacher instructed boxes, then have him do the subjects on his own? For example, I go over Math with my dd, then she does her lesson, then I go over R&S Grammar with her, then she does her lesson, etc. So, I am basically working with her from about 8:30 until we complete all the Teacher instructed boxes (usually around 3 1/2 hours, sometimes more!), then she does her independent work. I have a feeling I am not using my time wisely. My dd also tends to draw things out & loses focus, so I have to work pretty hard to keep her on a timed schedule. She could do school all day & not care. :shock: I usually end up doing school with ds 4 at the end of the day.

I would love any additional advice on our school day. I have a feeling it could be a lot better! :)

Thank you!
Mindy
HI Mindy! The description you gave of what you are doing with your dd (teacher part, stay and monitor student part, teacher part, stay and monitor student part) is necessary for a period of time. I should make clear that this routine I am sharing I am now able to do in the MIDDLE of our year. At the start of this year, I needed to follow our other schedule because my dc were "in training". :wink: So, what you are doing with your dd is important training that after an adequate amount of time can result in you being able to change YOUR part of the routine. So, for instance, I did just what you did for the first 1/3 of RTR with my oldest ds. Then, my part of things changed by me doing the teaching of say math, and then him looking over his independent math workbook, trying a problem from any section he thought he may need more guidance on first, and then setting aside the rest for him to finish later. Likewise, with R & S English, I do my teaching part, and assign him a section or few problems from each section to do independently, have him just number his notebook page according to what I want him to do independently, ask if he has questions about how to do any of it, and then we add that to the independent pile to be done along with the math. Same with Medieval-History Based writing lessons. I go through the teacher's part, we look over his student part together. I ask if he any questions, he sometimes wants me to help him get started and he sometimes does not want me to help him at all because he "gets it" ("I get it, Mom, I'm fine with this" is usually what he says, I believe, and quite firmly too sometimes. :lol: ) Then that gets added to the independent pile of math and English. DITHOR is the same way. I do my teacher's part, go over any Student Book questions he may have, listen to him read a page or two at the start, and then he sets his Student Book and his book to finish reading on the independent pile to do later.

We then enjoy our rotating teaching box time together at a leisurely pace. I LOVE this time together and do not rush it. If ever I draw something out within my teaching time, it is that box because it gets to the heart and the mind. This year with "Boyhood and Beyond", Poetry study, and Art Appreciation, we are really enjoying this time together so much. I feel like I've gained the time by doing the independent work piling to really take time with my ds during this other time. It has been wonderful. I have really shared my faith with him so personally so many times, and he shares his growing faith with me. It seems like a special gift from God for me. It fills my cup, and it is the connection I have with my oldest ds right now. :D :D :D

Then, when we finish, added to the independent pile is his copywork of "Boyhood and Beyond", and he is off to do his independent pile of work. The rest of the guide is independent already, so this just is a time saver for me. Because I have 3 very different ages of sons with 3 very different levels of placement needed, this frees up time for me to work with Riley, my second ds. :D

This kind of independent work piling looks very different for younger aged dc like Riley, who is almost 8 yo and doing BHFHG. This was not possible for him in any way, shape, or form at the start of BHFHG. But, since we did half-speed for many months, and now full-speed, he now understands the routine and what he is expected to do. So, for him, I need 2 teacher directed times, and then a marker board with a list for him to finish out anything he can independently. I still oversee more of his work than Wyatt's work in RTR, but he is taking on more responsibility and I am not needing to "hover" as much as I used to. :D

My LHTH ds is now entering the stage where he will need me 100%. :D So, because HOD has written guides so more independence can be gained each year because of skills being taught incrementally, and because boxes of plans in the guides follow predictable routines, my oldest will need me the least, my middle ds will need me about half the time, and my youngest all of the time. Perfect! :D I love this part of HOD because I feel like it "grows" with dc and lets them mature (which they really want to do even if we don't want them to so much :wink: ). It's a healthy thing.

This kind of time saving tip of "independent work piling" is only possible after we have put in our time teaching our dc the routine of a guide, and of course, accurate placement is key. I hope something here helps you out, Mindy! I would say that if your dd knows the routine, you can easily try this with her now and not be sitting next to her for her independent work. Let me know how it goes! :D It is my prayer it saves you time and helps dd enjoy the newfound independence getting older affords. :)

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Sister to Carrie

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Sat Jan 22, 2011 9:42 am

daybreaking wrote:I love the idea of having a shorter school day and how HOD is designed to be able to be completed in a few hours. I just wish there were some way I could make that work for us. Unfortunately, we live in "regulation heavy" New York and are required to homeschool for an average of five hours a day at the 1-6 grade level and five and a half hours a day for the 7-12 grade level (i.e., 900 or 990 hours a school year). I was looking at Riley's schedule and oh, would my 8yo ds love a schedule like that! I do include my ds's violin practice and nighttime reading as part of our hours, plus we do some homeschooling over the summer, but even with that, he still seems to have quite a long day. :( Perhaps I'm too careful about what I include for hours. For instance, both of my dc take an hour quiet time in the afternoon, where they listen to audiobooks of (what I consider to be) good literature, plus both enjoy an occasional educational video. I've never considered them as part of our hours. I'd love some suggestions for being able to use HOD, while also abiding with state regulations for required hours.
I would be glad to help you out with this, so here is a past thread with good tips about this very thing! :D
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=6114&p=44730

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Sister to Carrie