substituting books

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Mercy

substituting books

Post by Mercy » Sat Jan 15, 2011 8:11 pm

So I'm looking at Preparing Hearts for His Glory. We have read Hero Tales before. Any ideas for substituting? We have also read through "Finding Constellations" before & it was an AWESOME book! So, we might just read that again & really try to memorize them this time...maybe? Unless anyone has a better suggestion?

Anyway, just wondering if anyone has any ideas.

Thank you,
Mercy
Mercy
14yob- World Geo Guide
8yog- BHFHG
5yob- LHFHG

arstephia

Re: substituting books

Post by arstephia » Sat Jan 15, 2011 8:41 pm

As for the Constellation book, I would just reread it. Carrie has you doing activities with it so you would need it. It is worth repeating. As for the Hero Tales book, we'd read it a few years ago but enjoyed rereading it as well. If you've read it recently, maybe just swap it out with Hero Tales vol 2? You'd have to discuss it a little differently, but it would still likely be a valuable read.
I've done all the guides now with at least one child and still feeling the HOD LOVE. LOL!
DD 9- Preparing
DD 13- Rev 2 Rev
DS 15- Geography

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Tue Jan 18, 2011 4:32 pm

We'd read the "Hero Tales" several times before and still loved it again. The activities make it feel different, and the best loved books are meant to be read again. After we finished it, my ds took it back to his room to read again. :lol: I'd just enjoy them again, but you can always sub if you want.

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

Mercy

Post by Mercy » Tue Jan 18, 2011 5:02 pm

Thank you both so much!

I think you are right, that we should just repeat both of books.
It's been a few years anyway, so they might not even remember!
I really appreciate the opinions here on the board! :D

Mercy
Mercy
14yob- World Geo Guide
8yog- BHFHG
5yob- LHFHG

netpea

Post by netpea » Thu Jun 23, 2011 8:40 am

I was wondering about this too. We just completed MFW's ECC which has Hero Tales Vol. 1 in it but doesn't have any activities with it other than copying the character trait. So Preparing has activities to go along with it? If that's the case, I won't worry about reading it again when we get to Preparing.

I'm thinking of selling off my MFW stuff so I'm going through all the HOD programs to see which books I should hold onto and which ones I can sell.
Lee Ann
DD3 - LHTH
DD10 - no longer schooled at home
DS12 - no longer schooled at home

Have used LHTH, LHFHG, BLHFHG, and BHFHG
http://netpea.blogspot.com

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:27 am

[quote="netpea"...So Preparing has activities to go along with it?...[/quote]

Yes, it does have activities, discussions, research, etc. that all coordinate with it. :D In fact, on a day that you read "Hero Tales" the entire "Learning Through History" left side of the plans will coordinate with the reading. :D I think this is why my dc remember what we've read so much better, because each of their history follow-ups went along with the day's reading. HTH! :D

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie