Poll: For grades 3 on up, do you prefer to have read-alouds

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Carrie
Site Admin

Poll: For grades 3 on up, do you prefer to have read-alouds

Post by Carrie » Mon Oct 22, 2007 11:55 am

that generally coordinate with the historical time period you are studying or read-alouds that are just considered "good literature" but are not specifically related to history?

I am in the process of writing "Preparing Hearts for His Glory" and have been back and forth on this issue quite a few times. We have done it both ways in our home, and I'm just interested in hearing what the rest of you think.

Blessings,
Carrie

mom2boys030507

Post by mom2boys030507 » Mon Oct 22, 2007 12:48 pm

I am a few years off from this, however I think I would like a mixture of both or the ability to choose which read aloud to do. That would make more work on your part as the curriculum would have 2 read alouds with questions and the parents and/or students choose which ones to read.

HTH
Karen - mom to Bryce 02/03, Micah 03/05, and Matthew 05/07

Tansy

Post by Tansy » Mon Oct 22, 2007 9:07 pm

Is it possible to do a few that are related to history and a few that are just good Lit? I remember Phantom toll booth from 3rd grade quiet well but not much else... :wink:

The beauty of your cirruculum is that the parent can choose to do your choice or not. I think that if you have really good "fits" to read along with history go for it and if they are "so so fits" to chuck history and just have good Lit.

I think tho the suggestion of writing 2 sets of questions would be confusing. I do like the general questions about concepts/character like those in "beyond" are great! I can formulate my own who, what, where, questions. Sometimes I did not use the sugested read alouds but since the read aloud question were about concepts/character they usually worked just fine.

My2cents
♪♫•*¨*•.¸❤¸.•*¨*•♪♫•*¨*•.¸❤¸.•*¨*•♪♫
Dyslexics of the world Untie!
Adoptive Mom to 2 girls
http://gardenforsara.blogspot.com/
♪♫•*¨*•.¸❤¸.•*¨*•♪♫•*¨*•.¸❤¸.•*¨*•♪♫

ds4home

Post by ds4home » Mon Oct 22, 2007 11:00 pm

I tend to lean toward relating our read alouds with history. Every once in a while I'll switch gears and read something different, but the majority of them will be set in the time period we are studying.

Dawn
Mom to Amber (15), Carmen (12), Nathan (9), and Bethany (3)
Using Drawn into the Heart of Reading and Little Hands to Heaven

blessedmomof4

preparing hearts for his glory

Post by blessedmomof4 » Tue Oct 23, 2007 12:03 am

Boy am I looking forward to this one being completed :D Personally, I would be happy if you wrote it with historical read-alouds-in my family, historical literature always helps bring history to life and embeds it in our memories. It would be so helpful to have that written into the curriculum. As for "just good literature", there are loads of resources out there to help parents to add that on if they choose.

Melanie

Post by Melanie » Tue Oct 23, 2007 2:39 pm

This is a toughy, but I tend to agree with the above post. It's a lot easier to find a "good literature" book to read on your own than to try to find historical literature that fits. So I guess my vote would be to match up the historical literature and we can each add our own extra literature.

We just finished Pippi Longstocking as an "extra" and my kids LOVED it!
Using LHFHG with
ds - '00
dd - '00
dd - '02

Ronda

Post by Ronda » Tue Oct 23, 2007 4:12 pm

We, too, prefer to have historical literature to match up with the history.
Thanks for asking our opinions!!
Blessings,
Ronda

netpea

I vote historical / biographical

Post by netpea » Wed Oct 24, 2007 9:20 am

We like the historical or biographical books. Anytime we read something my kids ask if it's a "REAL" story. We are currently reading Benjamin West and Gladys Aylward. They are really into Gladys. We've only read 2 chapters, but my 4yo keeps asking if a wolf is going to eat Gladys as she sleeps on the railroad tracks.

Like others have said, we can add in other classics easily. But I don't know of good historical books to read off the top of my head. And I especially don't know about the books on Missionaries and other Christian heroes. I am so glad you mentioned Gladys Aylward in your program's reading list, I want to read more books about Christian heroes.

THANKS,

inHistiming

Read Alouds

Post by inHistiming » Fri Oct 26, 2007 12:09 pm

I like the read alouds to go along with the History lesson. My kids notice when something comes up that we've mentioned in another area of study. They thinki it's cool to relate the two, and they also remember it more easily. We choose books from the library that we like to read aloud at night that don't have anything to do with "school".

Susan

Post by Susan » Sat Oct 27, 2007 7:09 pm

I like any "good literature" for read alouds. It has more to do with my daughter. She likes variety, animals, comical books, etc. I'm pretty familiar with historical fiction, because I've homeschooled for a LONG time. I like having more ideas for all kinds of literature for read alouds. I love the way you are helping us teach our kids to narrate by helping them ease into it!
Susan

Matt'sMom

Post by Matt'sMom » Sun Oct 28, 2007 8:48 pm

Carrie,
This is my first post and I have very mixed emotions on this. I read aloud with my oldest all the way through the 8th grade. We did both just reading of good books and reading historical fiction that fit in with our studies. She and I gained untold knowledge from each. I enjoyed them both so much I could not imagine choosing one over the other. I would like to see a mixture. I did not read alot when I was in school and the read alouds that I did with my daughter as she got older were truly a blessing. We are using " Bigger" with our 8 year old this year and so far the book suggestions are great. Keep up the good work.

Durea

6timeboymom

Post by 6timeboymom » Wed Oct 31, 2007 10:41 pm

I like to have the stories line up with the history simply because I have so many that are on different levels!
I used to use a literature-based curriculum, and we used the history books for our read alouds and the "read alouds" for our "maybe if we get time this is our fun reading" category.
Maybe a history list and a literature list? So we could pick and chose? or a history list, a science list, etc.
I do have one boy who gets too disjointed when the stories don't "match" the learning. He usually kind of sits out when we read together because he says it gets too jumbled in his head what's what. :-)
Darci
mom to 6 great boys-"they've got me surrounded!!"
using: as much HOD as possible! :wink:

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Tue Nov 06, 2007 5:37 pm

Thanks so much to everyone who responded to the poll. It is so helpful to hear from others what your preferences are for read-alouds. For our new book "Preparing Hearts for His Glory", we are planning to have the "Economy Package" consist of the minimum items needed to make the program function. Then, the "Basic Package" will consist of read-alouds scheduled to go along with and enhance the historical time period. I also think I will include the list of good read-alouds from "Beyond..." and "Bigger" in the Appendix, in case everyone hasn't had time to read all of those (I know I haven't yet).

We also plan to have a schedule of books for the kiddos to read on their own that will match the history as well. This will be independent reading and will be considered the "Deluxe Package" for those who want the option of coordinating independent reading material for their students with their history. At this point it looks like there will be 2 levels, one for the newly independent reader and one for the very independent reader.

The choice items for the program will become grammar, math, and literature study with your choice of following our suggestions or using your own. Grammar and math will be scheduled for you to follow if you choose our suggestions. "Drawn into the Heart..." will be our suggestion for literature study.

Thanks for weighing in on this topic!

Blessings,
Carrie