Kindergarten or 1st?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Mercy

Kindergarten or 1st?

Post by Mercy » Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:42 pm

So, my daughter will be 6 years old. She is not reading, so we would be going through the phonics lessons. She writes really well. She loves to write and has gone through the Happy Handwriting workbook. She also has been working through horizons math k and zoomed through her workbooks. She is in the second one now. So, when I purchase Little Hearts for His Glory, would I want to purchase the Kindergarten or 1st? What is the difference between them?

I will probably have more questions here soon...
Thank you for bearing with me!

Mercy
Mercy
14yob- World Geo Guide
8yog- BHFHG
5yob- LHFHG

Melena

Re: Kindergarten or 1st?

Post by Melena » Thu Jan 13, 2011 6:46 pm

I am brand new to HOD. I just purchased LHFHG for my 6 y/o daughter. She is similar to your daughter in all aspects. She has completed Making Math Meaningful K. I looked on the Singapore website's placement tests and decided to place her in Primary 1A. There were a few areas in the K test in which I knew we had not covered, but I know they will be taught another time or I can teach them on my own. I also bought a used copy of the Singapore Primary 1A Home Instructor's Guide. It looks helpful. HTH Marie

cirons

Post by cirons » Thu Jan 13, 2011 7:23 pm

It sounds like she would handle Singapore 1A just fine, but have you tried their placement test? This would be the best indication of how she would go. My son is half way through 1A at the moment and it is quite simple adding and subtracting....recognising word numbers and ordinal numbers etc. You will love HOD!!!
Homeschooling 2 dc since Feb, 2008
Preparing with dd 9
Beyond with ds 7

MelInKansas

Post by MelInKansas » Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:06 pm

The differences are:
The fine motor skills workbooks
The math books (but if you're doing Primary 1A and 1B some people recommend buying the Beyond guide in order to have the extra activities that go along with the workbook pages. I have to say that the extra activities with Earlybird Kindergarten Mathematics are really great, and Carrie has changed things where the book was obviously written for a school classroom).

Everything else is the same. Reading/Phonics is just a block on the page each day, and Handwriting is scheduled 2 days a week (the fine motor workbooks also work on handwriting and reasoning). You would have your own program for your child's needs anyway.

Does that make sense? So if LHFHG is the guide your child should be in (which it sounds like it is) then I don't think it really matters. I guess if you're buying the package it matters. Since she's done a lot of handwriting, the more advanced fine motor books might be just fine for her. I know the K ones are a little easy for my daughter quite honestly. But I don't mind. She'd do cutting and pasting, coloring, matching, etc all day long if she could. Or if you get them and find the fine motor skills books are too difficult, you can always go back and buy the K fine motor skills books, and then do the pages scheduled for that in LHFHG.
Melissa
"The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases
His mercies never come to an end"

DD12 - Rev to Rev + DITHOR 6/7/8
DD10 - CTC + DITHOR 2/3
DD7 - Bigger + ERs
DS5 - LHFHG
DD2 - ABC123
2 babies in heaven

creativemommy

Post by creativemommy » Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:33 am

For my son we did LHFHG when he was 6 choosing the 1st grade options. It was a perfect fit for him. :)

Going into the school year, he already knew how to form all his letters, was almost done with his reading instruction and placed in Singapore 1A. He used Thinking Skills, Our Father's World, Singapore 1A and for handwriting, I had him write the memory verse each week. He finished his reading instruction early in the year (we used 100 EZ lessons) and read through the Emerging Readers. It was a sucessful year.

If you choose to use Singapore 1A for math, I would recommend buying the Beyond Guide as Carrie has written great math plans for the pages. In the back of the LHFHG guide the page numbers are scheduled for 1A and 1B, but her activities in the Beyond Guide are so much fun to use. :wink:
~Beth
Used & Loved LHTH, LHFHG, BLHFHG, & Bigger

MomtoJGJE

Post by MomtoJGJE » Fri Jan 14, 2011 5:07 pm

We are using LHFHG using 1st grade options with my second DD who just turned 6. We started it a couple of weeks before she turned 6 because they were all itching to start. She is doing an awesome job. We are currently going full speed 6 days a week (or 5 days a week with an extra half day added on) because I want to distance her from #3 who will begin LHFHG with K options in November.

If you have them placed right in each section then it'll be no issue... the problem will come if they aren't ready to be in that level. And I would think it would be ok to do K level in some things and 1st level in others......

Mercy

Post by Mercy » Sun Jan 16, 2011 4:52 pm

When you say to by the beyond guide, you mean buy the beyond little hearts for his glory?

Thank you for all the help!
Mercy
Mercy
14yob- World Geo Guide
8yog- BHFHG
5yob- LHFHG

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:55 pm

Mercy wrote:When you say to by the beyond guide, you mean buy the beyond little hearts for his glory?

Thank you for all the help!
Mercy
Yes, that's what they mean. HOD has awesome hands-on math lessons written for 1A/1B in the Beyond Little Hearts for His Glory guide. We used them and enjoyed them very much. I also felt that they did a good job first of helping my dc easily do the accompanying workbook pages independently, and second, they seemed to make the later transition into less and less hands-on/manipulatives easy because they taught strategies the dc eventually did mentally on their own. :D

The LHFHG guide does have a schedule for 1A/1B Textbook and Workbook in the back of the guide. "Beyond Little Hearts..." has the hands-on lessons written to be used to teach the material, so if you get the "Beyond..." guide you don't need the 1A/1B Textbooks, you'd instead only need the 1A/1B Workbooks then. :wink:

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie