RtR Science Ordering ??s

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
4Hispraise

RtR Science Ordering ??s

Post by 4Hispraise » Thu Dec 30, 2010 9:39 pm

Hello Ladies! Just need a little advice as I prepare to order RtR. We have already completed Exploring Creation and Weather and Water. In addition, we have read several of the other books. I am wondering about skipping RtR Science and moving into the following guide's science? We would still complete RtR as written for other subjects. My 11 yo will then be 12 yo. and in 7th grade. Currently he is completing CtC with extensions. He is able to complete everything on his own in CtC thoroughly and correctly. I am just wondering if he will be able to do the work? Is it difficult to combine guides in this manner? Has anyone else ever done anything similar with other guides?? Could really use some of your wisdom and experience. Thanks!!
Shelly- bride of 22 yrs. to My Hero
Mom to 2 treasures on earth, and 2 treasures in Heaven
DS - 16
DS - 7 Bigger Hearts For His Glory

1shortmomof4

Re: RtR Science Ordering ??s

Post by 1shortmomof4 » Fri Dec 31, 2010 9:51 am

If you are planning on using the next guide, why not just use something different for this year in place of the science - I currently juggle 3 guides (1 I'm going to have to drop or I'm going to go crazy) and since everything is correlated to the time frame/history I'd be inclined to wait and use when you use that guide. Since the focus is on astronomy, you could either use some supplements (Signs and Seasons maybe? HandsofaChild makes an upper level astronomy lapbook) and then work in some earth science or just select an entirely different stand-alone program for science just for one year? I think if you look at the focus of what the science is teaching - i.e., more written narration and learning to write lab reports (to name a few) - you could focus on these type of skills over the year so that when you start the next guide, those skills are in place. I have found with HOD's program - science, history, LA - the skills acquired are what grow over the year - the content is awesome but that is what is used to acquire those skills. If you skip to the next guide's science (which won't be out until next August/Sept), your child may or may not have the skills needed to do those assignments - regardless of the subject content? kwim? Apologia's general science book I believe helps teach the process of lab report writing (I could be wrong -- my one high schooler was unable to do that GS level and we went with something else). Just a few rambling thoughts.
Heidi
Heidi - LEO wife for over 21 years
Mom to 4 - ds 21 (college), ds (RTR), ds (visual-spatial learner who needs to see the big picture first) and future educator dd 18 (college)

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Tue Jan 04, 2011 2:27 pm

The science loosely correlates with the history in the guides, and of course it's convenient to have it all be in one guide. But, I have talked with ladies at conventions who (for various reasons) used a different HOD's science guide and really enjoyed it. So, I think it is very possible to do this, but it is nice to use the guide intact if at all possible. Would Science Option #1 work? We have really enjoyed that option with RTR this year. I also love the experiments tie in so nicely as well. If it's that you're not sure about the living books option approach, it has been wonderful IMO! :D Which books have you used besides "Exploring Creation..."? Maybe we can figure out a way you can still use the RTR guide for it together - or maybe you have your heart set on using Rev to Rev's science for whatever reasons - in which case, that could work too. I hope something here helps!

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

4Hispraise

Post by 4Hispraise » Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:05 am

my3sons wrote:..."? Maybe we can figure out a way you can still use the RTR guide for it together - or maybe you have your heart set on using Rev to Rev's science for whatever reasons - in which case, that could work too. I hope something here helps!
Thanks. Actually, I didn't have my heart set on anything. I am just trying to figure out what I am doing, muddling through. I think I am leaning towards using the science as written in the guide b/c , although we have thoroughly completed Exploring Creation, we have not used A Child's Geography. We are loving vol 2 this year, so I don't want to miss it next year. I am sure everything, even what we have done previously, will be scheduled in a fresh, new way. So, after much prayer, that is where I am right now...and bonus...it will be cheaper because I already have most of the books. :D :D

And, thanks to pp who reminded me that the guides build skills, so although he may have the content down, he may be missing skills. I would have told others the same thing! :D So, I guess that about decides it for me!

Thanks!!
Shelly- bride of 22 yrs. to My Hero
Mom to 2 treasures on earth, and 2 treasures in Heaven
DS - 16
DS - 7 Bigger Hearts For His Glory