Anyone do Bigger in 4 days??

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
seekhimfirst

Anyone do Bigger in 4 days??

Post by seekhimfirst » Tue Dec 28, 2010 6:35 pm

I know it's definitely not ideal but just wondering if there are others who have done this and if so how they made it work. Do you do days 4 & 5 on the same day or spread everything over the 4 days? It's pretty easy to do this with LHFHG and Beyond but I know Bigger is a "big" step up. I'm just thinking and planning. :wink: Thanks!
Whatever you do, do your work heartily, as for the Lord rather than for men, knowing it is from the Lord you will receive the reward of inheritance. It is the Lord Christ whom you serve.
Col 3:23-24

11yo CTC
7yo Bigger
5yo LHFHG

LeAnna

Re: Anyone do Bigger in 4 days??

Post by LeAnna » Tue Dec 28, 2010 7:16 pm

We are actually just getting ready to start Bigger in January. My plan is to take the first 6 units at half pace and see where we are at. If all is good, then we are going to do 4 days a week until we are finished. I will just keep everything as is.... no doubling up on the 4th day.

LeAnna :D
Love my husband of 18 years this year;
Love my 3 teenagers--13, 15, and 16. They keep me young, but hanging on for dear life! :lol:
Used HOD in the earliest years with all three of them!

Busymomma1

Post by Busymomma1 » Tue Dec 28, 2010 8:48 pm

I had felt it was relatively easy to make Beyond into a 4 day program, but with Bigger, it's much more challenging. So, we do it in 4 1/2 days! :D We double up on science and storytime on Monday (days 1 and 2) and no science or storytime on Tuesdays d/t a co-op in the afternoon. That's my "main" way of doing it. But there's "more" to Bigger, so it doesn't "shorten up" as easily. Just my thoughts!
Tricia
Married for 14 great years!
Mom to DD (10)
DS #1 (9)
DS #2 (6)

MomtoJGJE

Post by MomtoJGJE » Wed Dec 29, 2010 6:33 am

We have just started Bigger, but whenever we do a program in 4 days we just do days 1-4 in one week, 5-3 the next, 4-2 the next, etc. We don't double up or combine things or anything, just start the next week where we left off.

seekhimfirst

Post by seekhimfirst » Wed Dec 29, 2010 12:05 pm

Thanks all! I didn't even think about letting the days spill over into the following weeks. The way I plan things I really like to finish a unit in a week (Friday is short review/quiz day) but it sounds like if I want to do Bigger in 4 days I may have to just let go of that or try to do it in 4 and 1/2 days! :D
Whatever you do, do your work heartily, as for the Lord rather than for men, knowing it is from the Lord you will receive the reward of inheritance. It is the Lord Christ whom you serve.
Col 3:23-24

11yo CTC
7yo Bigger
5yo LHFHG

LeAnna

Post by LeAnna » Wed Dec 29, 2010 4:11 pm

I don't usually like to spill the unit over into another week, either. But, I'm trying to let go of that. :lol:

LeAnna :D
Love my husband of 18 years this year;
Love my 3 teenagers--13, 15, and 16. They keep me young, but hanging on for dear life! :lol:
Used HOD in the earliest years with all three of them!

moedertje

Post by moedertje » Thu Dec 30, 2010 3:22 pm

I had to :lol: when I read the not spilling over thing. I think you will get used to 1 unit spilling over into the next week. I would recommend against doing all of Bigger in just 4 days unless you have a child beyond 4th grade doing it and are trying to catch them up to get into Preparing.
We are enjoying Bigger at half pace: Last year when ds was in 1st grade, we took 2 weeks to do a unit. Meaning 2 school day per 1 unit day.
Now we do 1 unit day in 1 school day. We try to do 3 days of the unit the first week and do just 3 R's (english, math, dictation, Independent reading) the rest of the week. We have co-op on Wednesday and piano of Thursday and sometimes field trips, so it always works out.
We do not want to be in Preparing before we get to 3rd grade!!!! This gives me the time to work on training ds to become more independent. Bigger has been a meaty, challenging, but very fun educational manual and we have grown into it and fallen in love with it. With each guide we appreciate Carrie and all who help her more and more... :D :D Hope this makes sense and does not bring any confusion. :) :? :(
Success and I hope you and your dc will enjoy Bigger as we are in our home:!:
Raising Arrows; Psalms 127:4
ds17, Class of 2020, now at IHOPU
ds 15, WH
dd 13, MTMM
In year 1 of homeschooling it all started with LHTH for us.