If you used Rod and Staff 1...

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Rwandalove

If you used Rod and Staff 1...

Post by Rwandalove » Sun Nov 21, 2010 3:56 pm

Did you go straight to the emergent reader's book list or did you do Rod and Staff 2 after that for more phonics? I feel like she can read pretty well, yet at the same time, I'm not sure if she should have more phonics. We are using Beyond next year and I am trying to decide what to do with phonics/reading. Thanks!
Last edited by Rwandalove on Mon Nov 22, 2010 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Amanda

Jaden (10) CTC
Raeya (7) BLHFHG
Malaika (4)

daybreaking

Re: If you used Rod and Staff 1...

Post by daybreaking » Sun Nov 21, 2010 10:09 pm

Our situation is very similar to yours. Last year, we did Rod and Staff Reading and Phonics for Grade 1, and this year we are doing Beyond. When my ds finished R&S 1, he was more than ready to begin the ERS, but I wanted him to finish R&S's phonics program, so even though he was testing at a 3rd/4th grade reading level when we started Beyond, we chose to do both the ERS and R&S Phonics 2. My ds probably would have been fine with DITHOR, but I really wanted him to complete the phonics and I thought it'd be too much to try to do the phonics with DITHOR, plus I wanted him to have the extra year with the ERS to strengthen his reading ability and confidence. We should finish R&S Phonics 2 about the same time we finish the ERS, so at that time I'll move on to DITHOR. Now that we're almost done with unit 2 of the phonics, I can say it has definitely been worthwhile for us to finish out the program.

Wife to one amazing husband and mother to two precious blessings from above:
ds21 & dd17

Rwandalove

Re: If you used Rod and Staff 1...

Post by Rwandalove » Mon Nov 22, 2010 10:44 am

Great! That answers my question! Thank you!
Amanda

Jaden (10) CTC
Raeya (7) BLHFHG
Malaika (4)