OT: Having a hard time getting back into school

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Lynnw

OT: Having a hard time getting back into school

Post by Lynnw » Sat Nov 20, 2010 12:29 pm

Some of you may remember my dh was home for two weeks of leave a couple weeks ago. Thank you for your prayers. He had several delayed flights on the way home and a wonderful gentleman gave up his seat for his last flight here after our very specific prayer for someone to give him his seat! We had a great two weeks together. He left two Saturdays ago and we jumped back into school on that Monday. Whew! I had no idea it would be so hard. Even *I* didn't feel like doing it, and I'm sure the kids picked up on that as well. We tried for a couple days, and then honestly I set aside all our HOD stuff and just did the basics for the rest of the week and for last week. They've listened to stories on cds, watched science experiments on dvd, kept up with spelling, grammar, math, reading, etc. I'm not real sure where we go from here. I love our HOD guides and they saved my life when the school year began because I couldn't make decisions about what to do and was so relieved to have an open and go plan I had confidence in. But now, I just don't know if I can keep 3 guides going. My oldest needs time with me, he's not as independent as RTR would assume he should be, but Bigger w/ extensions wasn't a good fit either.

So, I'm not at all complaining about HOD (I think it is SO well done!), but all school seems boring and sad after we've said goodbye to dh. I guess I'm asking for prayer, explaining my absence here, and expressing my gratitude for HOD regardless of where we go from here.

Thanks ladies!
Lynn
Married 19 years to Dh, Detective and Army Reservist: 1 tour in Iraq, 1 tour in Afghanistan
ds 12.5 (7th grade) RevtoRev
ds 9.5 (4th grade) Preparing

dd 8 (3rd grade) Beyond
ds 6 (K/1st grade) Beyond
dd 3

GinainMD

Re: OT: Having a hard time getting back into school

Post by GinainMD » Sat Nov 20, 2010 3:29 pm

Lynn, praying for you, your dh and dc. At this point could you just consider this a holiday break? I know that we often follow a lighter schedule during this time of the year and sometimes take the entire month of December off. Maybe after the holidays everyone will be ready to get back to work. I know that we actually look forward to starting again after a break even when we thoroughly enjoy the break. I like to spend this time of the year really focusing on my relationship with my dc. We do a lot of reading aloud, cookie baking, gingerbread house making, visiting with extended family etc. I will continue to pray for you and your family during this separation.
Gina
married to dh 2000
dd 12/01 Bigger
dd 08/03 Bigger
dd 03/07 LHTH
dd 06/08 LHTH

4Hispraise

Post by 4Hispraise » Sat Nov 20, 2010 7:13 pm

Lynn, I am so thankful that you and the dc had a special time with dh. What an incredible blessing. I can only imagine that having him leave again has been sooo difficult - on everyone. This time of year, with all the other interruptions and breaks, you could just do the basics or go half pace until after Christmas - just the routine may help. Maybe do some fun holiday activities with the kids (carolling to widows, making crafts, baking cookies, creating a thankfulness tree, etc.). I know that when we were in a tough place emotionally, some one suggested we do school half pace...and before we knew it (this was weeks), we were back to full speed. So maybe you could try that. Give all of you the time you need as you miss dh and dad again. Not having been where you are, I can only imagine that perhaps the house seems a little empty, and the every day stuff seems like it isn't as important or as pressing as it once was.

My prayers are with you as you try to figure all this out. May the Lord grant you wisdom and peace as you enter this season. May He show you what is right for you and your dc in homeschooling and in daily living. May He comfort you all as you miss dh and dc miss their dad. And, may He guard dh and keep him safe!
Shelly- bride of 22 yrs. to My Hero
Mom to 2 treasures on earth, and 2 treasures in Heaven
DS - 16
DS - 7 Bigger Hearts For His Glory

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Sun Nov 21, 2010 4:28 pm

Lynn - I'm so sorry you are missing your dh, and that it is tough to get back into doing school. I can totally see feeling this way - I am sure I would too. :( I think that you should completely stop school and take some time off for other things, for at least a week or two. I would focus on finding a way to find some joy right now, because I know that is going to be hard as you adjust to dh being away. My dh travels a lot, though I am not in any way saying that this is the same as your dh being gone as much as he is. Some things that help me are to get out with the kids and get an ice cream cone, go visit the cousins, watch a movie together and pop some popcorn, do a house project together like go through the whole basement, etc. It also helps me to have someone else be with the dc while I do something with a friend once a week or so. Though money is tight, that is worth it, as I look forward to it all week. Could you do some house projects, go on some field trips you've been wanting to, do some cooking projects together to give to others, visit some family, make some Christmas plans, etc.? Maybe you could let each member of your family choose one thing they want to do (you included). Then you could do one thing a day. These don't have to be things that cost (much or any) money, they can be...
*trip to the library
*picnic at the park
*hot cocoa while you drive around and look at Christmas lights
*playing with some friends
*play at a different park
*afternoon matinee movie
*pick your favorite donut at the bakery and eat it there
*500 piece puzzle to complete as a family
*family hide and seek outside
*dinner on a picnic blanket inside as you watch a movie together
*cookie at Barnes and Noble while you check out the books\
*family obstacle course outside you run through

I think if you get your mind off it for a bit, you'll ease back into life and it won't be so hard then to go back to doing school. I don't think switching programs will do anything to change what's really causing you to feel the way you do. I do think giving yourself permission to be sad, to take some time to find other things to take your mind off it and give you some joy, and to give yourself time to readjust are all things that you deserve to do, and that if you do them, you will then be able to ease back into school and find a good rhythm with it once again. I've just found when I'm lonely if I get out and about a lot and stay busy, busy, busy, that eventually I drag myself home and am so very, very, very happy to be there again homeschooling in my own home. HTH- but I'm praying for you too.

Love in Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

Samuel'sMommy

Post by Samuel'sMommy » Sun Nov 21, 2010 6:41 pm

I think all the ladies have already given great advice. So, I'm just going to let you know I will be praying for you and your family. I'm sure it's especially hard to be apart with the holidays coming up.
Stephanie
Wife to Adam for 25 years
Mom to Samuel (18 - freshman in college), Isaiah (8), and Judah (4) through the miracle of adoption
Using and loving LHTH & BLHFHG

Loved using LHTH, LHFHG, BLHFHG, BHFHG, PHFHG, CTC, & RTR!

mommadonna

Post by mommadonna » Sun Nov 21, 2010 10:49 pm

Praying for you, your dc and your dh during this difficult time. I would be sooo lost without my hubby! My heart hurts for you. Take some time and like Julie said, maybe try to find some joy in this Christmas season. God Bless!
Donna
ds7 Beyond
dd4 listening in, consuming workbooks, TRL and some of LHFHG
ds2 making us all laugh and eating erasers

moedertje

Post by moedertje » Mon Nov 22, 2010 2:24 pm

I am very glad for you that your family had such a wonderful time with Daddy home. :D :D :D PTL. Now I will pray for God's grace for you and the kiddo's for this time and during the holidays. Also for God's protection on your husband while he is gone.
I know only God will be able to sustain you from day to day while your hubby is gone :!: :!: Continue approaching His throne of grace daily!

What a blessed thing that you have HOD curriculum that is easy to follow and continue with your kiddo's and mind you can have very uplifting conversations through the scriptures :!: :!:
Raising Arrows; Psalms 127:4
ds17, Class of 2020, now at IHOPU
ds 15, WH
dd 13, MTMM
In year 1 of homeschooling it all started with LHTH for us.