Can I go from MOH vol. 1 to HoD RtR? (science & history ?'s)

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
athomemom

Can I go from MOH vol. 1 to HoD RtR? (science & history ?'s)

Post by athomemom » Tue Nov 09, 2010 9:47 am

We are using MOH vol. 1 this year, I like it okay, but it lacks something for us....

I am really interested in HOD RtR and am really considering this after we finish MOH. However, will we be any history be missing if we make the switch? Or do we need to cover MOH vol. 2 before going into HOD RtR?

My children are 6th/7th grade levels. I have looked at the placement charts and I feel that this level and work load will be fine for them. Also, I'd like to know more about HOD science and the readers. I'm kind of confused. Do I purchase both the history read alouds and the extension packet?

I also posted a question under the topic HOD RtR...but only received a couple of responses. I have questions and need help! :D

Thanks for all replies!
Kim

Sharon

Re: Can I go from MOH vol. 1 to HoD RtR? (science & history ?'s)

Post by Sharon » Tue Nov 09, 2010 12:02 pm

I don't think you need to do MOH 2 before you start HOD RTR.

MOH 1 ends with Christs death and resurrection.
MOH 2 - The first 4 lessons are Pentecost, Paul and his jouneys, and Nero. These were covered in the last few lessons on CTC...if my memory serves me( my guide is packed away for 2nd dd.) The 5th lesson of MOH 2 covers the church martyrs and that is where RTR starts with Justin and Polycarp.

The curriculums are going to cover some of the same topics but not all the same. RTR goes into more depth with church history and the lives of the early church fathers than MOH 2 that I remember, but I think you will be fine just starting with RTR. You can cover Pentecost and Paul just using the bible if you like. You should be able to compare the table of contents for both and see what you are missing which isn't very much!

In the intro to RTR it says the Extension Package is best suited for mature seventh and eighth graders who are strong readers. For sensitive seventh and eighth graders, or for those who are not yet strong readers, the Basic Package should be used instead of the Extension Package.

Hope that helps you out a bit!
Wife to Jesse,
Mom to Michelle, Dawn, Rose, Marie
DD14 Rev to Rev, MTMM in the Fall
Enjoyed Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, RTR, RevtoRev, and World Geo.

4Hispraise

Post by 4Hispraise » Tue Nov 09, 2010 1:43 pm

Hi Kim! I think that pp answered your questions about MOH and RTR pretty thoroughly. :D I am a guide behind RTR, but I will tell you how the science is laid out...as I think all the guides have a similar flow. Typically, the child will read an assigned portion and complete one of the following activities: answer questions about the reading, an experiment (with common household things - we always have what the guide calls for :D ), orally narrate, science notebooking. Each activity is usually scheduled once weekly. The science experiment is laid out to include all the steps in the scientific method, even though they are not labeled as such. Instead, it is "Question," "Guess," "Procedure," and "Conclusion." Oh, and Science is very independent...not a lot of Mom help needed.

As for the readers and the extension package, I am going to look at the catalog again. I think at this level you use both, but am not sure. We are for CTC, which is one level behind RTR. I am checking to see how it is worded...or maybe someone who is actually doing RTR will chime in :D

I am sorry that I can't be more specific for you..but I am not there yet :D
Shelly- bride of 22 yrs. to My Hero
Mom to 2 treasures on earth, and 2 treasures in Heaven
DS - 16
DS - 7 Bigger Hearts For His Glory

athomemom

Post by athomemom » Tue Nov 09, 2010 2:43 pm

4Hispraise wrote:Hi Kim! I think that pp answered your questions about MOH and RTR pretty thoroughly. :D I am a guide behind RTR, but I will tell you how the science is laid out...as I think all the guides have a similar flow. Typically, the child will read an assigned portion and complete one of the following activities: answer questions about the reading, an experiment (with common household things - we always have what the guide calls for :D ), orally narrate, science notebooking. Each activity is usually scheduled once weekly. The science experiment is laid out to include all the steps in the scientific method, even though they are not labeled as such. Instead, it is "Question," "Guess," "Procedure," and "Conclusion." Oh, and Science is very independent...not a lot of Mom help needed.

As for the readers and the extension package, I am going to look at the catalog again. I think at this level you use both, but am not sure. We are for CTC, which is one level behind RTR. I am checking to see how it is worded...or maybe someone who is actually doing RTR will chime in :D

I am sorry that I can't be more specific for you..but I am not there yet :D
Thanks for the info on science. Are there notebooking pages for science as well?

athomemom

Post by athomemom » Tue Nov 09, 2010 2:45 pm

Sharon wrote:I don't think you need to do MOH 2 before you start HOD RTR.

MOH 1 ends with Christs death and resurrection.
MOH 2 - The first 4 lessons are Pentecost, Paul and his jouneys, and Nero. These were covered in the last few lessons on CTC...if my memory serves me( my guide is packed away for 2nd dd.) The 5th lesson of MOH 2 covers the church martyrs and that is where RTR starts with Justin and Polycarp.

The curriculums are going to cover some of the same topics but not all the same. RTR goes into more depth with church history and the lives of the early church fathers than MOH 2 that I remember, but I think you will be fine just starting with RTR. You can cover Pentecost and Paul just using the bible if you like. You should be able to compare the table of contents for both and see what you are missing which isn't very much!

In the intro to RTR it says the Extension Package is best suited for mature seventh and eighth graders who are strong readers. For sensitive seventh and eighth graders, or for those who are not yet strong readers, the Basic Package should be used instead of the Extension Package.

Yes, this is very helpful to me. Thanks!

About the Extension Package...do I purchase it instead of the Basic Package or both?

Sharon

Post by Sharon » Tue Nov 09, 2010 2:55 pm

athomemom wrote:
Sharon wrote: In the intro to RTR it says the Extension Package is best suited for mature seventh and eighth graders who are strong readers. For sensitive seventh and eighth graders, or for those who are not yet strong readers, the Basic Package should be used instead of the Extension Package.

Yes, this is very helpful to me. Thanks!

About the Extension Package...do I purchase it instead of the Basic Package or both?
You will purchase the Basic Package. Only purchase the Extension Package if you want to add more reading for your 7th grader/ 8th grader.
Wife to Jesse,

athomemom

Post by athomemom » Tue Nov 09, 2010 2:58 pm

Sharon wrote:
athomemom wrote:
Sharon wrote: You will purchase the Basic Package. Only purchase the Extension Package if you want to add more reading for your 7th grader/ 8th grader.
Is there a schedule for both packages? And if I add the additional readers, do I still do read alouds, or do I have the children do all the reading on their own? (I hope I'm making sense!)

Thanks a bunch! :D

Sharon

Post by Sharon » Tue Nov 09, 2010 3:09 pm

There is a schedule for the extensions in the back of the Manual and the Basic package in scheduled in the weekly schedule in the Storytime box...so it's all there!

I was looking at the Science trying to answer your ? about that, we are using something else for science. There are not any notebooking pages to buy like for history. The students will create their own as they follow the activities and assignments in the guide. I do note that for Option 2 the God's Design Teachers Supplement is available and it is a supply list, answer key and worksheets, so there are some worksheets there that you may want if you choose Option 2 for science!

You can always call HOD and they will help you place your order! They are very nice and have alway been so helpful...give them a call before you order and they will get it all straight for you!!!
Wife to Jesse,

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Sat Nov 13, 2010 11:44 am

Kim,

The ladies have done a great job of answering your questions. If you have other questions, ask away. We're glad to help! :D I am in and out of the board during the week too and can help too, but the ladies will give you a more immediate response.

Blessings,
Carrie