Little Hearts Handwriting Question

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Tukata

Little Hearts Handwriting Question

Post by Tukata » Sat Nov 06, 2010 3:04 pm

My dd5 is doing Little Hearts for her K year. What should my expectations be as far as handwriting? She is a really good reader, but writing is harder for her. She can do the work in the workbooks (we're using italics), but outside of that, she doesn't necessarily always form the letters correctly. For example, today we had to write something for Peter Cottontail. (Just her name and two words) She wrote her name, mixing capital and lowercase letters, and then didn't want to write the two words because she said it's too hard. Is this something I should just give her time to understand/grow into, or do I add in extra writing practice? She's my oldest so I don't have anyone to compare her to...maybe she's doing just right for a 5yo?
Thanks!
Erin
Mama to
dd 5
dd 3
ds 1
All three growing up way too fast!!

Mommamo

Re: Little Hearts Handwriting Question

Post by Mommamo » Sat Nov 06, 2010 5:32 pm

My oldest didn't like writing for a long time either. I think those fine motor skills sometimes take a while for the kiddos to develop. I don't think I would add extra handwriting practice. Just do what's scheduled, and then give her plenty of time to work on those skills with play-doh, stringing beads, coloring, cutting, etc. All of that will help her with those skills. Also, consistent practice over time will help her to build up to that. I think balking at writing is pretty normal for that age, though.
Momma to my 4 sweeties:
DD 14 - MTMM and DITHOR (completed LHFHG, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, took a couple years off, and now she's back!)
DS 11 and DD 9 - Preparing(completed 2 rounds of LHTH, LHFHG, Beyond, and Bigger)
DD 6 - LHFHG

amethyst rain

Post by amethyst rain » Sat Nov 06, 2010 6:39 pm

At that point we work up to the point right before frustration and call it quits. As long as my ds gave it his best that is. :D IMO there's no reason to force them to do it before they are ready. It will come eventually and pushing them will just make it a battle. Handwriting is not a battle I'm willing to have with my children.

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Sun Nov 07, 2010 5:02 pm

She sounds like she's doing just fine. :D It helped me to write my dc's answers for activities assigned in LHFHG on a markerboard so they could do them as copywork. Also, keeping an alphabet chart handy as well as a number chart for easy reference helped my ds. If dd does make an error, I'd model on a markeboard how it should be written correctly, and then have her erase it and fix it. Doing this immediately keeps poor habits from forming, and helps dc understand that when writing is done for school, it must be done properly or fixed until it's right. She sounds very normal for 5 yo to me though!!! :D

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:49 pm

Erin,

I agree with the ladies' wise advice that I wouldn't add more handwriting. :D One thing that really helped my son with the handwriting exercises like the one for Peter Rabbit, was for me to write the part I was supposed to write on paper and then to make a dotted outline of each letter in the words my son was supposed to write for him to trace over. I also made a darker or larger dot on each letter at the point where he should place his pencil to begin tracing each letter. This made writing the words more fun, helped him understand when he should use a capital letter and when he should use a small letter, guided him on where to start each letter, and made forming the letter much easier. Yet, he was still building the muscles and fine motor skills needed for forming the letters. :wink: We honestly did that for all of my third son's LHFHG year. :D As he moved into Beyond, we were able to move away from the dotted outlines toward just doing it more on a markerboard for him to copy. :D

Hope that helps!

Blessings,
Carrie

Tukata

Post by Tukata » Tue Nov 16, 2010 1:28 pm

Thanks everyone for your replies. They were very helpful and made me feel more confident that she is right where she needs to be.
:D Erin
Mama to
dd 5
dd 3
ds 1
All three growing up way too fast!!

twoxcell

Post by twoxcell » Tue Nov 16, 2010 4:05 pm

That is very normal. Just keep working at it but not to the point of frustration. Dry erase boards, finger tracing, and even playdoh are good ways to strengthen hand muscles.
ds 12 RevtoRev
dd 9 Preparing
dd 7 Beyond
ds 5 Little Hearts
dd due September 20th