Magic Tree House Books???

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
LeAnna

Magic Tree House Books???

Post by LeAnna » Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:31 pm

I'm looking for a series for my kids to read with DITHOR and free read, but can't think of a good series to get them started on. Someone mentioned to me The Magic Tree House books, but I don't know anything about them. Is there anything questionable in them? Things I should be aware of? I would really appreciate it!

Thanks!
LeAnna :D
Love my husband of 18 years this year;
Love my 3 teenagers--13, 15, and 16. They keep me young, but hanging on for dear life! :lol:
Used HOD in the earliest years with all three of them!

frankesense

Re: Magic Tree House Books???

Post by frankesense » Fri Nov 05, 2010 9:43 pm

The Magic Tree House books are about a brother and sister who find a magic tree house that takes them back in time to certain times in history where they experience what was happening at that time in that place. And usually they have certain tasks to accomplish while there or something they have to get while there to bring back home with them.

Depending on the child and parent, I think that they could be a good transition from emerging readers to longer chapter books. What bothered me the most in them was the occasional reference to evolution (like saying dinosaurs lived millions of years ago). We've talked about these things quite a bit in my house and my kids talk with me quite a bit about what they read so we were able to talk about it when it was mentioned and talk about what the Bible says about it.

They were o.k. but not my favorite. I had a difficult time finding an alternative when my son was at that reading stage. My son has read lots of them. We live in a small town and don't have that big of a library and don't have many options to choose from. And we don't have a lot of money to buy a lot of books. I asked lots of other moms for other book ideas and sometimes they either weren't available at our library or they were still too difficult or too long. The books were really interesting to him though, as he loves learning about science and history things. And it's where his reading really took off and where he fell in love with reading. Now, he can pretty much read anything and I have a difficult time getting enough books for him to read.
Wife to the most awesome man for 18 years
Mother to ds - 15 yrs. and dd - 13 yrs.
using World Geography

Tansy

Post by Tansy » Fri Nov 05, 2010 11:00 pm

I can recommend
Ursula K. Le Guin's Catwings series 3 books in all. (As long as you don't mind animals talking.)
I also loved the bat poet by Randall Jarrell.

A friend that collects children's books sent all of these to me and even I reread them at least once a year. I just love them! They get the coveted Not Twaddle award.
♪♫•*¨*•.¸❤¸.•*¨*•♪♫•*¨*•.¸❤¸.•*¨*•♪♫
Dyslexics of the world Untie!
Adoptive Mom to 2 girls
http://gardenforsara.blogspot.com/

mrsrandolph

Post by mrsrandolph » Sun Nov 07, 2010 12:47 pm

I vote thumbs down on Magic Tree House books. :(

The children in the books sneak away from their home and are deceptive to their parents. Also, books based on dinosaurs and Amazon themes (to name a few) are based in evolutionary theory.

Sorry. :D
Shannon Randolph LOVING HOD & Running 4 Guides & DITHOR
Mommy to 4 Precious Blessings
Cassie (15- World Geography),
Will (14- Rev2Rev,
Ellie (12- Res2Ref), and
Jack (10- CTC)

LeAnna

Post by LeAnna » Sun Nov 07, 2010 12:57 pm

Okay, thanks everyone! That is what I wanted to know! Moving on:)

Thanks!
LeAnna :D
Love my 3 teenagers--13, 15, and 16. They keep me young, but hanging on for dear life! :lol:

Tree House Academy

Post by Tree House Academy » Sun Nov 07, 2010 4:15 pm

My son loves the MTH books and has read a good majority of them (my 7 y/o, that is...my 11 year old was never interested in them).

Here is how I feel about books (fictional ones at least): They are fiction. My kids have to know that not everything they hear, see, or read is real or the truth. I allowed my older son to read the Percy Jackson series (about mythical gods and goddesses). He knew and we discussed how those were fiction/fantasy books and he would often compare something the books said with something he knew to be truth and tell me how absurd the beliefs in the book seemed. The books opened up wonderful conversation for us. I also, myself, read the Harry Potter series (and Twilight). I know there are mixed feelings on these books, but they did not, in any way, sway my faith in God nor make me question it. The world is going to throw a lot of beliefs at us and at our children and they have to be ready to stand firm in their faith. My son's verse this week in beyond was Psalm 143:10 which says, "Teach me to do your will for you are my God. May your gracious spirit lead me forward on a firm footing." We are to do His will and stand firm in our faith at all times - even when something tries to shake our ground. Right now, books are something the children can come to me and discuss if there is something questionable. Later, when they face the real-life giants, they may not have that luxury.
~Rebecca~

ds13(8th) - Rev to Rev w/ TT Pre-Algebra, R&S English 6, CLE Reading 8, Rosetta Stone French
ds9 (4th) - Preparing Hearts, TT Math 4, R&S English 3, CLE Reading 4, & Writeshop Jr.

We have completed LHFHG, BLHFHG, Bigger, CTC, & RTR.

mrsrandolph

Post by mrsrandolph » Sun Nov 07, 2010 10:42 pm

The Bible also tells us undoubtedly to avoid any association with the occult, and that would include reading books that make it look harmless (ie Twilight).

When we place our minds on things above, and not on earthly things, what are we going to spend out time reading?

just something to think about.
Shannon Randolph LOVING HOD & Running 4 Guides & DITHOR
Mommy to 4 Precious Blessings
Cassie (15- World Geography),
Will (14- Rev2Rev,
Ellie (12- Res2Ref), and
Jack (10- CTC)

Tree House Academy

Post by Tree House Academy » Mon Nov 08, 2010 5:53 pm

mrsrandolph wrote:The Bible also tells us undoubtedly to avoid any association with the occult, and that would include reading books that make it look harmless (ie Twilight).

When we place our minds on things above, and not on earthly things, what are we going to spend out time reading?

just something to think about.
I appreciate this advice. However, I will also assure you that I am confident in my decision to read these books. FWIW, My pastor and his daughter have read these books.

Particularly to your above bolded statement: Reading a book about vampires is NOT setting my sights on earthly things. Vampires are fictional characters in a book.
I do NOT believe that "Twilight" makes the occult look "harmless." If anything, it makes it look tragic and sad. When you do not read a series of books, you really can't speak honestly to the content.
~Rebecca~

ds13(8th) - Rev to Rev w/ TT Pre-Algebra, R&S English 6, CLE Reading 8, Rosetta Stone French
ds9 (4th) - Preparing Hearts, TT Math 4, R&S English 3, CLE Reading 4, & Writeshop Jr.

amethyst rain

Post by amethyst rain » Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:16 am

Tree House Academy wrote:My son loves the MTH books and has read a good majority of them (my 7 y/o, that is...my 11 year old was never interested in them).

Here is how I feel about books (fictional ones at least): They are fiction. My kids have to know that not everything they hear, see, or read is real or the truth. I allowed my older son to read the Percy Jackson series (about mythical gods and goddesses). He knew and we discussed how those were fiction/fantasy books and he would often compare something the books said with something he knew to be truth and tell me how absurd the beliefs in the book seemed. The books opened up wonderful conversation for us. I also, myself, read the Harry Potter series (and Twilight). I know there are mixed feelings on these books, but they did not, in any way, sway my faith in God nor make me question it. The world is going to throw a lot of beliefs at us and at our children and they have to be ready to stand firm in their faith. My son's verse this week in beyond was Psalm 143:10 which says, "Teach me to do your will for you are my God. May your gracious spirit lead me forward on a firm footing." We are to do His will and stand firm in our faith at all times - even when something tries to shake our ground. Right now, books are something the children can come to me and discuss if there is something questionable. Later, when they face the real-life giants, they may not have that luxury.

I have to agree with this. My kids love listening to the MTH cd's we get at the library. They understand the difference between fiction and non fiction.

Tansy

Post by Tansy » Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:57 pm

Ladies down down... :wink:
Yes we should focus our hearts and minds on things above, yet we need to be able to relate to those around us as well. That balancing act of head in heaven feet on earth can only be achieved by a close walk with the Lord. I love that book "Grace Awakening" where the Author tells us we are all in different places and we need to extend grace to each other as well as grace being extended to us.

God created us to be unique hence our walks are unique. As we guide our children we do it from our own walk and experience, what works for one child, often will not work for another.

My dd1 wanted to read The Diary of the Wimpy kid. Its a pretty yucky twaddlish book. I got it for her birthday, my parents were horrified. We commenced to read it together. Wanna know something.. half way through it, she lost interest.. the characters were boring and stupid, mean, Mom this is a dumb book. She stopped asking Me to read it, and now tells other kids that boy is like so mean, I don't like him.

To me that is a triumph!! She made the choice to stop reading a book that was not edifying. I think this is exactly what God wants us to teach our children. Yet we all will do it in our own way though our own walk. Let us encourage one another to strive to make good choices but for some children that means allowing them to see/experience the poor choice, for others its protecting them from those choices.

lets also remember we don't see vocal inflections or how the person is truly expressing them selves in typed responses.
Now hug and make up or spanking and time outs (your choice) will abound. (JOKING!) :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Dyslexics of the world Untie!
Adoptive Mom to 2 girls
http://gardenforsara.blogspot.com/

frankesense

Post by frankesense » Thu Nov 11, 2010 1:52 pm

You can find several different threads on the board that give suggestions for other books or series that other moms do recommend. I have found many new books for my kids to read on this board.
Wife to the most awesome man for 18 years
Mother to ds - 15 yrs. and dd - 13 yrs.
using World Geography

moedertje

Post by moedertje » Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:02 pm

LeAnna,

If you can get your hands on "The American Adventure Series" by Barbour Publishing, those are great books and so far nothing objectionable or pointing away from the gospel. They are historical fiction books. They are out of print however. :(
I also have my son read ABeka Readers a grade ahead of his and he has devoured the Pathway Readers, but those are not series :D . The other place to check for wholesome books and Carrie has some of them already on her reading lists, is Bob Jones. :D
I pray the Lord will guide you in choosing books for you kiddo's that are acceptable in His sight :!:
Success....
Raising Arrows; Psalms 127:4
ds17, Class of 2020, now at IHOPU
ds 15, WH
dd 13, MTMM
In year 1 of homeschooling it all started with LHTH for us.

LeAnna

Post by LeAnna » Fri Nov 12, 2010 8:31 am

Thanks you! :D

I really want wholesome books for my children, and don't want to have to worry about anything questionable in them. Thank you, Carrie for already going through and picking such wonderful books for our kids!..... Know I guess I better get that book list! :)

LeAnna

Tree House Academy

Post by Tree House Academy » Fri Nov 12, 2010 3:18 pm

Just wanted to clarify that I was not angry at anyone. Part of life is realizing you have differing opinions. I have prayed about my choices many times over the years and feel comfortable in them. I pray that each and every one of you also find books that make you feel comfortable and happy! Reading is a wonderful blessing. :)

Rebecca
~Rebecca~

jenntracy

Post by jenntracy » Mon Nov 15, 2010 12:26 pm

I have to agree from this standpoint as well. My husband and I pray for discernment especially in areas like this. The Holy Spirit lets us know what we should or should not use for OUR family.

Jenn D.
amethyst rain wrote:
Tree House Academy wrote:My son loves the MTH books and has read a good majority of them (my 7 y/o, that is...my 11 year old was never interested in them).

I have to agree with this. My kids love listening to the MTH cd's we get at the library. They understand the difference between fiction and non fiction.
Mom to 4 Blessings
DS 14.5 yrs World Geography
DD 13 yrs MTMM
DD 10 yrs CTC
DS 7 yrs Bigger