supplementing Kindergarten and 1st Grade Math

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
grandsophy

supplementing Kindergarten and 1st Grade Math

Post by grandsophy » Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:38 pm

Singapore math doesn't offer review every day. I come from an ABeka background, so math without daily review is something new to me.
My 1st grader doesn't know her addition facts yet. We took a step back and we've been working on the last kindergarten math book, but so far there aren't any reminders to drill math facts or help kids learn those facts. We've played with manipulatives a lot, so she knows HOW addition works, she just doesn't retain the facts.

What are y'all doing to supplement Singapore math?
There are a few simple suggestions in the HOD guide we are using, but so far they haven't helped her retain facts.
My kindergartner is way ahead in math, and the 1st grader is way behind, so finding which page in the guide is for today's math pages is difficult.
3 Daughters
4th grader: Teaching Textbooks, Portraits of American Girlhood, Queen Language & CLE Science
Kindergarten & 1st Grader: Little Hearts for His Glory, CLE Math, CLE Language

countrymom

Re: supplementing Kindergarten and 1st Grade Math

Post by countrymom » Thu Nov 04, 2010 4:57 am

We worked entirely through the kindergarten Singapore math with all activities as written in HOD, we are now a little more than 1/2 way through 1A with all HOD activities, and my son doesn't have a single math equation memorized (maybe 1 + 1 and 2 + 2). However, he fully understands the principles and what we are doing. If I show him 4 blocks and tell him there are 10 blocks total, he knows how to figure out how many blocks are under the basket. He may use his fingers, but he knows how to work a story problem. For me, that is way more important at this point. I do believe as the kiddos progress with the workbooks and HOD activities they will eventually memorize the facts. I think in kinder and 1st grade memorization is not top priority, as it is too easy for them to substitute the memorization for thinking through a problem. However, if you are satisfied he fully understands you could just drill with some flashcards everyday to begin the memorization process.
Countrymom
Wife to J
Big J - LHFHG, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, R2R, Rev to Rev, Modern Missions, beginning parts of World Geography
Little J - LHTH, LHFHG, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, working in CTC

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Sun Nov 07, 2010 3:29 pm

My dc both learned their addition facts around 2A, and subtraction facts more around 2B. This is later than other programs, but I have found they know their facts extremely well then, rarely if ever make computation errors, and most importantly - they know so much more than just their facts - they know the "why" behind the "how" of solving problems. The mental math dc learn in Singapore grows right along with their fact memorization, and it is common for dc to do multiple step word problems from an early age in Singapore. So, if your child is progressing nicely with her math and is in Singapore 1A/1B, I'd just give her counters or let her use her fingers for awhile. The facts do come. If she doesn't have them down by 2A/2B, I'd add flashcards. You are right that drill of math facts is not included in Singapore. This is because it usually comes with use of Singapore over time. But if it doesn't by 2A/2B, then drill of facts is easy to add at that point. :D However, if you are wanting to add it earlier, it can easily be done too as there are a ton of math fact drill options out there! :D

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

twoxcell

Post by twoxcell » Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:42 am

If you have the SM HIG's they do remind you, and give ideas how to drill math facts. I find it very easy to add in math fact practice with games, flash cards etc. We have several computer games that practice math facts.
ds 12 RevtoRev
dd 9 Preparing
dd 7 Beyond
ds 5 Little Hearts
dd due September 20th

grandsophy

Post by grandsophy » Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:25 pm

twoxcell wrote:If you have the SM HIG's they do remind you, and give ideas how to drill math facts. I find it very easy to add in math fact practice with games, flash cards etc. We have several computer games that practice math facts.
Which computer games do you have?
3 Daughters
4th grader: Teaching Textbooks, Portraits of American Girlhood, Queen Language & CLE Science
Kindergarten & 1st Grader: Little Hearts for His Glory, CLE Math, CLE Language

twoxcell

Post by twoxcell » Thu Apr 07, 2011 7:35 pm

We have a bunch of reader rabbit, and Jumpstart games. We also have Rainbow rock, and a bunch of games I have reviewed this year(Big IQ Kids, Math Rider, Math Facts Now, etc.). My ds also enjoys Fun 4 the brain it is an online math game site.
ds 12 RevtoRev
dd 9 Preparing
dd 7 Beyond
ds 5 Little Hearts
dd due September 20th