Placement - LHTH?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
krazzymommy

Placement - LHTH?

Post by krazzymommy » Wed Oct 27, 2010 2:20 pm

Next year my daughter will be 4. She already knows all of her letter names and sounds and is just about ready to start reading. I had planned on doing LHTH with her next year. (My son fits very nicely into Beyond.) My only concern is - is the program's emphasis on learning letter names & sounds or is it on Bible stories? Are the activities mostly letter-type activities or do they have to do with the Bible stories? I have been doing letter of the week type crafts for the last 3-4 years. I don't want something that's going to be more letter crafts. I don't want to go through and make each letter of the alphabet. :oops: I have gotten the impression that the crafts in LHTH are more Bible based, is that correct? I don't really want to put her in Little Hearts for His Glory yet. I think the history will be over her head. She fits nicely into the right side of LHFHG, but that's mostly our own curricula - language arts & math. (We don't use Singapore.)

A friend of mine is combining her two kids (of similar age to mine) in Little Hearts, but I really think my son places beyond it, so I don't think I'm interested in doing that.

I'd appreciate feedback on LHTH. :)
~Monica
DD8 - Bigger
DS10 - CtC

We've enjoyed: Little Hands to Heaven, Little Hearts for His Glory, Beyond Little Hearts for His Glory, and Bigger Hearts for His Glory - took a break from HOD for awhile; excited to get back into it!

countrymom

Re: Placement - LHTH?

Post by countrymom » Wed Oct 27, 2010 4:24 pm

The art activities in LHTH are based on the Bible story. There is a letter activity each day, but you could do Little Hands with the right side of Little Hearts using the kindergarten materials.
Countrymom
Wife to J
Big J - LHFHG, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, R2R, Rev to Rev, Modern Missions, beginning parts of World Geography
Little J - LHTH, LHFHG, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, working in CTC

krazzymommy

Post by krazzymommy » Wed Oct 27, 2010 11:00 pm

Thank you!
~Monica
DD8 - Bigger
DS10 - CtC

We've enjoyed: Little Hands to Heaven, Little Hearts for His Glory, Beyond Little Hearts for His Glory, and Bigger Hearts for His Glory - took a break from HOD for awhile; excited to get back into it!

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:24 am

We have enjoyed the Bible-based nature of LHTH so much. You will want to get the 4/5 Package for LHTH, as that will fit your dd well. The questions in the "New Bible in Pictures" are great for building comprehension. The devotional is a springboard for excellent talks about God. :D There are letter activities, but they are short and fun. There are many Bible-based activities as well. My ds is learning much from the step-by-step directions of some of the drawing ones especially. As the pp wisely suggested, you can easily do the right side of LHFHG Kindergarten choices with your dd along with LHTH. This would include the Fine Motor Skills box (R & S Workbooks, a Handwriting book), phonics of your choice, hands-on math activities (wonderful whether you do Singapore or not). I think I'd wait on the Storytime books for LHFHG, as they are so nice to do with LHFHG. I did Beyond and LHTH years back at the same time, and had a great year! The learning gap between my dc is just too wide to be able to combine, but HOD makes it easy to do several guides at once. Have fun with LHTH - it is a delight to teach! :D

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie