I wrote in my guides...

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Marsha

I wrote in my guides...

Post by Marsha » Fri Mar 21, 2008 6:36 pm

This is a biggie for me. I never write in books, but it is so much easier to use. I highlighted on every page, so now I can differentiate between each subject.
My "can't write in a book" phobia is gone.

HOD can help the parents too. :lol:
Miranda 15 on July 4th
Cassandra 12
Jonathan 10
Sarah 8
Hannah 6
Rachel 4
Abigail 2
Rebecca born in Sept.

joyfulheart

Post by joyfulheart » Fri Mar 21, 2008 6:40 pm

LOL Ok, when I read that I immediately thought, "OOOOH, she's sooo brave!"

I WANT to. I really really want to. But I'm chicken. Every time I TRY, I talk myself out of it. LOL

annaz

Post by annaz » Fri Mar 21, 2008 6:45 pm

Oh Marsha you are too funny. I write in mine too as I have an only child. I don't ever need to reuse it and I never resell, but the Olive in me has to do it in pencil!

When I was a kid, I was one of those who put all their crayons neatly back into the box according to color and never, ever, ever did I break any! :roll: So maybe if I can go back and just break some crayons and throw them in a box, I'll be able to write in pen and highlighter in my manual! Do I dare mention that my dd tears the wrappers off her crayons, throws them in a box and even will break them because she want's a smaller crayon ? :shock: Oh my....I don't think I am ready for that yet. Oh and to embarass myself even more on my psycho-ness, I also used to "save" my pencil eraser by putting one of those colored, triangular ones over the top. That way when the pencil was half way down, I still had the original eraser. :oops:

Maybe I'll wait on the highlights and ink.

Marsha

Post by Marsha » Fri Mar 21, 2008 6:50 pm

I am the same way. Everything in my house has to be in order or I can't think straight.
One of my daughters drew on the floor with a marker and it was done on linoleum. It was squares and there was cirlcles placed neatly on each corner. We knew which daughter it was. My husband always says she is just like me.
I am trying to break my habits.

I just bought a set of highlighters, took a deep breath, and started. It is much easier for my mind to follow the colors.
Also, if it does get ruined, I can buy another one. It took my mind awhile to be ok with that. The guides are very affordable, so you should use them. :D
Miranda 15 on July 4th
Cassandra 12
Jonathan 10
Sarah 8
Hannah 6
Rachel 4
Abigail 2
Rebecca born in Sept.

water2wine

Post by water2wine » Fri Mar 21, 2008 6:51 pm

I'm a pencil girl too. But it is not really anything other than finish this or check marks to mark of the blocks as we go so I can see how much is left in the day as we go. :lol: Honestly the guide does everything for me but load my dishwasher.

But I am glad you feel free to express your self and mark it however you want. :D
All your children shall be taught by the LORD, and great shall be the peace of your children. Isaiah 54:13
~Six lovies from God~4 by blessing of adoption
-MTMM (HS), Rev to Rev, CTC, DITHR
We LOVED LHFHG/Beyond/Bigger/Preparing/CTC/RTR/Rev to Rev (HS)

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Fri Mar 21, 2008 6:59 pm

water2wine wrote:I'm a pencil girl too. But it is not really anything other than finish this or check marks to mark of the blocks as we go so I can see how much is left in the day as we go. :lol: Honestly the guide does everything for me but load my dishwasher.:D
You are describing me exactly, w2w: :) I love the load the dishwasher comment - why didn't Carrie put that in somehow? And also perhaps "feed the dog"? :lol:

Marsha, you'd be so proud of me - I began checking off my boxes in pencil too now, and Annaz - the Olive in me has to use pencil too!

Julie

P.S. Annaz - I saved the pencil eraser in the same way. Really we're quite ingenious, aren't we? We could start a club "Save the erasers!"
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

water2wine

Post by water2wine » Fri Mar 21, 2008 7:08 pm

my3sons wrote: P.S. Annaz - I saved the pencil eraser in the same way. Really we're quite ingenious, aren't we? We could start a club "Save the erasers!"
I use the mechanical pencil option. Erasers are always fresh...Ahhhh! :lol:
All your children shall be taught by the LORD, and great shall be the peace of your children. Isaiah 54:13
~Six lovies from God~4 by blessing of adoption
-MTMM (HS), Rev to Rev, CTC, DITHR
We LOVED LHFHG/Beyond/Bigger/Preparing/CTC/RTR/Rev to Rev (HS)

beandip71

Post by beandip71 » Fri Mar 21, 2008 7:30 pm

Marsha wrote:I am the same way. Everything in my house has to be in order or I can't think straight. :D
Marsha, you and I could be twins!!LOL!! I always tell my kids that Mommy can't stand clutter. :shock: Seriously, my brain malfunctions and smoke comes out of my ears. You are better than I am though. I still can't bring myself to write in my guide.

Hello, my name is Gina and I am type "A" Olive who is borderline neurotic. :wink:
CTC-10 y/o (dd)
Bigger-8 y/o (ds)

Marsha

Post by Marsha » Fri Mar 21, 2008 7:35 pm

Yes, we could be twins. :D

I thought I would get better as each year passes, but now we have 6 children and I am sooo much worse.
I send about a bag of stuff out every week. I go bananas if the house is cluttered. I cannot think and my mind goes blank.

Marsha
Miranda 15 on July 4th
Cassandra 12
Jonathan 10
Sarah 8
Hannah 6
Rachel 4
Abigail 2
Rebecca born in Sept.

inHistiming

Post by inHistiming » Sat Mar 22, 2008 5:46 am

beandip71 wrote:Hello, my name is Gina and I am type "A" Olive who is borderline neurotic. :wink:
Very funny!! :lol:

Tansy

Post by Tansy » Sat Mar 22, 2008 9:29 am

This previous library worker has explained it to my mined this way... it is MY Record book. I have every right to write in it. 8)
♪♫•*¨*•.¸❤¸.•*¨*•♪♫•*¨*•.¸❤¸.•*¨*•♪♫
Dyslexics of the world Untie!
Adoptive Mom to 2 girls
http://gardenforsara.blogspot.com/
♪♫•*¨*•.¸❤¸.•*¨*•♪♫•*¨*•.¸❤¸.•*¨*•♪♫

granolamom6

Post by granolamom6 » Sat Mar 22, 2008 1:25 pm

You all crack me up! :lol:

Although I am an Olive, I have no problem writing in my manuals. But, it is in pencil and I only write the date and the child's initial in each box we finish.

I am a box checker, completely, though! I cannot wait to date each box as we finish it! :lol:

PS - to add that I, too, go crazy when there is stuff all over the place! But, that said, I truly believe the Lord has put me in the situation I am in (small house, 4 kids, a husband who has 6 or 7 guitars...) to release me from this compulsion!

I do have many days, though, when I can be found flying around the house frantically putting things back in their places and tossing things in bags to give away. :lol: I am definitely a work in progress.
Christa, wife to Sonnie since '93

ds- 13
dd - 10
dd - 7
dd - 4 — LHTH
And another blessing due in March '09.

Visit my blog: http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/granolamom6/

netpea

Post by netpea » Sat Mar 22, 2008 4:31 pm

I wish I had your problem. I am a piler, I have two piler children, and my husband is a neat freak. So we clash a bit... I don't like the look of the piles and clutter in every room but I seem unable to conquer it. If I get one room looking good then the rest of the house falls to shambles. How do you neat and orderly people do it? Is it just routines, or a different mindset???

:? :? :? :?

Marsha

Post by Marsha » Sat Mar 22, 2008 4:34 pm

Well,
If there is anything around the house that we are not using..it goes.
It gets trashed or donated.
We have a 1500 sq.ft. house and there is now 8 of us and I hate clutter.

Will it get better if we get a bigger house? :mrgreen:
Miranda 15 on July 4th
Cassandra 12
Jonathan 10
Sarah 8
Hannah 6
Rachel 4
Abigail 2
Rebecca born in Sept.

MamaMary

Post by MamaMary » Wed Mar 26, 2008 8:03 pm

Well I'm a "BETTY" with a BRIGHT PINK "B"!

I highlight and write in INK all over my manuels. I'll have to buy new ones for the younger boys, but that's ok!

I record all of our special memories right on the pages. Now If some of you beautiful Olives could just come over and show me how to organize my kitchen cabinets?!?! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Mary, Mama to 4 amazing sons and wife to one incredible husband! Come check us out on the blog: http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/MamaMary/