HOD for preschool through highschool

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
my7angels

HOD for preschool through highschool

Post by my7angels » Fri Oct 22, 2010 10:42 pm

Hello Ladies,

A friend and I both love HOD and we are trying to make a plan on how to make HOD work for us from preschool through highschool. We both have large families with lots of little ones coming up and we want to use HOD all the way. Have any of you other clever gals thought this through and have a plan you could share on how you plan to do it.....assuming that HOD doesn't write guides for highschool (which we are certainly praying they do :) )

Thank you,
Christina
Mama to...
Dd 16 herbalist, artist, violin extrordinair
Dd 13 baby lover, baker, violin extrordinair #2
Dd 10 animal lover, energetic
DS 7 Robin Hood wanna be
Ds 5 "Afternaut" wanna be
Ds 2.5 book lover
Ds 5mo. smiley

Bramble

Re: HOD for preschool through highschool

Post by Bramble » Sat Oct 23, 2010 7:30 am

I will be watching this thread. I love HOD and would like to use it through high school. However, I am not a tweaker and really want pick up and go, so using non-high school guides for high school may pose a problem for me. This reminds me I had been meaning to ask if the guides will continue to cover higher ages w/ extensions. Does anybody know?

water2wine

Post by water2wine » Sun Oct 24, 2010 2:23 pm

I also will be watching. :D I had not completely planned out a way to stretch out the ones that are on target to have the geography guide to come hit at 8th and 9th grade. I think my plan was to pray for Carrie to write more. :D That has been my standard but this is an interesting path so I am very interested. I think I had focused so much on how to get my oldest four through with beefing up I had not looked at plan for stretching it out to work for high school with my youngest two. They are three guides behind the newest releases to come. I guess I more looked at all slowing down is fine because we have so much time but had not thought about stretching it out. I'll be watching this thread but not giving up my prayer for more HOD. :wink: Please do share ideas you all come up with though because I know there will be many of us interested. :D
All your children shall be taught by the LORD, and great shall be the peace of your children. Isaiah 54:13
~Six lovies from God~4 by blessing of adoption
-MTMM (HS), Rev to Rev, CTC, DITHR
We LOVED LHFHG/Beyond/Bigger/Preparing/CTC/RTR/Rev to Rev (HS)

Marsha

Post by Marsha » Thu Oct 28, 2010 7:51 pm

Ok, I am Christina's friend and I have come up with...
Plan A: Stretch each Core out(Little Hearts for 1st and 2nd, Beyond for 3rd and 4th, etc...or begin younger) for 2 years each and begin CTC with books to beef up for High School

Plan B: Do like normal, doing Preparing in 4th, CTC in 5th, etc..
Then repeat CTC in High School adding in the extra books and items to beef it up

Any other ideas?
Miranda 15 on July 4th
Cassandra 12
Jonathan 10
Sarah 8
Hannah 6
Rachel 4
Abigail 2
Rebecca born in Sept.

Tree House Academy

Post by Tree House Academy » Thu Oct 28, 2010 8:03 pm

Does Carrie have any plans for High School currently?
~Rebecca~

ds13(8th) - Rev to Rev w/ TT Pre-Algebra, R&S English 6, CLE Reading 8, Rosetta Stone French
ds9 (4th) - Preparing Hearts, TT Math 4, R&S English 3, CLE Reading 4, & Writeshop Jr.

We have completed LHFHG, BLHFHG, Bigger, CTC, & RTR.

water2wine

Post by water2wine » Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:41 am

Tree House Academy wrote:Does Carrie have any plans for High School currently?
Just following this thread. The official plans to this date as far as I know include a Geography program for high school but nothing beyond that is officially on the plate. You are more than welcome to join me in prayer for more. :wink:
All your children shall be taught by the LORD, and great shall be the peace of your children. Isaiah 54:13
~Six lovies from God~4 by blessing of adoption
-MTMM (HS), Rev to Rev, CTC, DITHR
We LOVED LHFHG/Beyond/Bigger/Preparing/CTC/RTR/Rev to Rev (HS)

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Tue Nov 02, 2010 2:45 pm

Christina,

What an interesting discussion! You ladies are planners after my own heart. :D We continue to be in prayer over HOD for high school and are hoping to have more clarity on this as our own oldest son progresses through high school. He is currently a freshman, and we are busily ponders his options for next year already. We are looking at having him do a one-year overview of world history next as a 10th grader and deeply desire for him to do it using a living books approach. This is definitely easier said than done, yet we are moving toward some clarity there. We also want to be sure that there is a need for further HOD programs and that the Lord wills for us to go in that direction prior to making any commitments beyond the one-year geography guide. :D

Our hearts are open to his leading, and we are amazed at the response to our middle school guides. If you feel led to pray for us, we would be humbled to be lifted up in that way. :D

Blessings,
Carrie

John'smom

Post by John'smom » Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:05 am

Carrie wrote:Our hearts are open to his leading, and we are amazed at the response to our middle school guides. If you feel led to pray for us, we would be humbled to be lifted up in that way. :D

Blessings,
Carrie
Just wanted to say that I am praying for leading and the Lord's will to be very clear for you and your dh. This is our first year with HOD and just wanted to say, we are on week 9, and it's the first school year I'm not second guessing our decision by now. Love it!!! Also my first year in homeschooling that I'm not stressed most of the time. Before I planned and prepared so much on my own, I didn't have much energy to actually teach everything I had planned. It's also the first year I'm not online looking around for that perfect curriculum. I can however be found, on the HOD website looking at Bigger and feeling very eager to buy it. I can also be caught thinking about Bigger extensions (even though ds wouldn't technically need them) and how I want them for myself. :lol: Really, I think I may get them and do them as a read aloud for both my dc. They just look too good to pass up. Again praying for clarity.
Edwena
*Married to my best friend for 16 yrs
*Mom to ds (15), dd (13), dd #2(3)
*Combining my dc in WG (2017-2018)
*Completed and absolutely loved BLHFHG through MTMM

mrskturner

Post by mrskturner » Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:30 am

Carrie,
I am also praying that God will lead you to write HOD through highschool. Your curriculum has allowed me to fall in love with learning all over again, to truly enjoy teaching my kids. My kids are growing so much spiritually, which was not the case our first year doing homeschool. Even my two year old is growing spiritually! We have PEACE in our home because of HOD. I am not stressed out planning stuff and I love doing school with my kids. I can not stress enough how important HOD is to our family. I am in a huge home school group and women are always searching for new curriculum....and I always take a HOD catalog and just hand it to them and say my search ended last year, this is what I use and LOVE! Our family is so grateful for HOD and I pray that you will continue to write the curriculum.
Kirsten
Aly - age 10 (dyslexia)- BHFHG w/ Apologia Zoology 2
Jackson - age 7 (mild dyslexia and adhd) - BHFHG w/ Apologia Zoology 2
Grayson - age 2 - LHTH

http://keyschristianacademy.blogspot.com/

my7angels

Post by my7angels » Wed Nov 03, 2010 1:59 pm

Carrie, thank you for letting us know where you are at with the high school issue. You can be sure that we will be praying for more HOD high school guides. :) We are having a wonderful year using your guides and I'm already looking forward to next year with HOD. How delighted I would be for my children to have the opportunity to use Christ centered Charlotte Mason methods clear through HS with out burning out Mama!!! I, and I'm sure others here, do see the need for more of your fabulous guides!! So, while we pray...you just keep on writing! :D

Blessings,
Christina
Mama to...
Dd 16 herbalist, artist, violin extrordinair
Dd 13 baby lover, baker, violin extrordinair #2
Dd 10 animal lover, energetic
DS 7 Robin Hood wanna be
Ds 5 "Afternaut" wanna be
Ds 2.5 book lover
Ds 5mo. smiley

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Sun Nov 07, 2010 4:31 pm

Ladies,

You are so gracious to consider uplifting us in prayer and to bring our decisions before the Lord. We are thankful to each of you and feel blessed to have you on this board. :D We always pray for the Lord to bring those to HOD who will be blessed by what we have to offer. He is always faithful. :D

In Christ,
Carrie