wampum belt (Unit 8 BHFHG)

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
3xblessed

wampum belt (Unit 8 BHFHG)

Post by 3xblessed » Tue Oct 19, 2010 1:03 pm

We attempted the wampum belt today and just could not seem to get everything to work correctly. We even tried just drawing some squares and circles on the 2nd attempt to get the idea. The 2nd one did turn out better, and we switched to a glue stick on this one. I was wondering if anyone had another tip or was willing to share a picture of the one you did.

Thanks,
Tiffany
Tiffany
Excited about 1st year with HOD.
HS'ing mom to:
DD (8) Bigger Hearts
DD (5) Little Hearts
DS (3) working on letters, shapes, etc

Tansy

Re: wampum belt (Unit 8 BHFHG)

Post by Tansy » Tue Oct 19, 2010 3:38 pm

Himmm I just bought white rice so we could do this... (I used up the last of it last night oops) I'll update you tomorrow on how it goes for us. But I'd be into tips or tricks right now before I attempt it :wink: Anyone????
♪♫•*¨*•.¸❤¸.•*¨*•♪♫•*¨*•.¸❤¸.•*¨*•♪♫
Dyslexics of the world Untie!
Adoptive Mom to 2 girls
http://gardenforsara.blogspot.com/

Tree House Academy

Post by Tree House Academy » Tue Oct 19, 2010 4:38 pm

Our wampum belt was done last year, but we loved it. It did take a bit to get the rice to stick just where ds wanted it. After it was finished, we put clear packing tape over it for storage and then put it down into a clear page protector for keeping it safe in storage. I still have it, though. It was one of my son's most favorite projects.

~Rebecca~

ds13(8th) - Rev to Rev w/ TT Pre-Algebra, R&S English 6, CLE Reading 8, Rosetta Stone French
ds9 (4th) - Preparing Hearts, TT Math 4, R&S English 3, CLE Reading 4, & Writeshop Jr.

We have completed LHFHG, BLHFHG, Bigger, CTC, & RTR.

moedertje

Post by moedertje » Tue Oct 19, 2010 5:37 pm

To keep it in place I actually used Elmers glue after ds was done, since the rice was not sticking. :? It became a drippy mess, :| but dried up very nicely.. :P I was a little worried especially because my ds had done such a great job. He is not the natural artist :D :mrgreen: :D All went well and it dried up nicely and is stored away in his art book. :D

Raising Arrows; Psalms 127:4
ds17, Class of 2020, now at IHOPU
ds 15, WH
dd 13, MTMM
In year 1 of homeschooling it all started with LHTH for us.

3xblessed

Post by 3xblessed » Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:32 pm

Thanks everyone! Your belts look wonderful! I'll have to show these to my DD and try again :D

Moedertje, so you used glue and did not water it down (in the end)??
Tiffany
Excited about 1st year with HOD.
HS'ing mom to:
DD (8) Bigger Hearts
DD (5) Little Hearts
DS (3) working on letters, shapes, etc

moedertje

Post by moedertje » Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:45 pm

Correct I used non watered down glue. I probably should have used a little less. I got glue happy :D I have used Modge Podge on things before and it seems to be much thicker, so if you have some just use it sparingly and put your art work on plastic to dry, so you can cut it off if it gets stuck. Success and please show us your end result!
ds 15, WH
dd 13, MTMM

kvmck

Post by kvmck » Wed Oct 20, 2010 6:34 pm

We used Elmer's glue and thick water color painting paper. The kids "painted" the glue on with fingers and paintbrushes. They did the purple rice figures first and then went back and added the white rice after the purple was dry. They had a great time (I didn't help them at all!) and didn't even make too much of a mess. They really loved this project.
Kristen

ds '00 PHFHG, Latin for Children
dd '02 BHFHG, Latin for Children
dd '07 LHTH

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Thu Oct 21, 2010 6:09 pm

Here's Riley's wampum belt:

I didn't water down the Elmer's glue much either. I also helped him spread out the purple rice a bit and shake it off, and then finished with the white. His wampum belt looks quite different from his older brother's back from when he did it years back - but then, I guess that's what I like about the projects. They have each child's own "personality" in them. However it turns out, they made it - I suppose there were even Native Americans way back whose wampum belts didn't turn out so lovely, right? :lol: Have fun seeing your kiddo's creation - I bet it'll be different from everybody's here anyway - but that's the beauty of it! :D

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

Tansy

Post by Tansy » Fri Oct 22, 2010 8:15 pm

We finally did this today :-) It turned out really good.. except my purple rice wouldn't turn purple. Gel food coloring did not work well. but i had the blue and it looks really cool. we used straight Glue and a nice wide belt so she could draw big. If I find the camera I'll add a Pic.
we did blue then while it was still wet we did the white but didn't shake it off till it was dry. Looks great! what fun!
Dyslexics of the world Untie!
Adoptive Mom to 2 girls
http://gardenforsara.blogspot.com/

moedertje

Post by moedertje » Fri Oct 22, 2010 8:57 pm

yeah...I am so glad.. Hope you find the camera to share the belt with us! :D
ds 15, WH
dd 13, MTMM