Copywork...

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Marsha

Copywork...

Post by Marsha » Sat Oct 09, 2010 10:57 am

I need a good resource for daily copywork. My fourth grader has terrible handwriting and is in Beyond.
I would like to find a good book that has handwriting that he can choose what to copy.
I am thinking of getting Draw Write Now set or George Washington's Rules of Civility.

Any ideas?
Miranda 15 on July 4th
Cassandra 12
Jonathan 10
Sarah 8
Hannah 6
Rachel 4
Abigail 2
Rebecca born in Sept.

HappyMama

Re: Copywork...

Post by HappyMama » Sat Oct 09, 2010 11:57 am

Beyond schedules daily copywork where the kids copy part of the poem. Have you tried that? My older ds is also doing Beyond this year and he is really enjoying the copywork. I've also noticed his handwriting has really imporoved from last year! :)

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Sat Oct 09, 2010 4:11 pm

The copywork of the poetry in Beyond really improved my ds's writing. We also had our ds do "A Reason for Handwriting A" along with it when he did Beyond, just because he needed it. These 2 things together really helped improve our ds's writing. The copywork of the poem is a wonderful idea, as they are classic, and therefore very worthy words to copy, and they also tie into the rest of the guide's theme, so there not just an extra add-on that has nothing to do with what else is being learned. If you are doing the daily copywork of the poem and feel ds needs more copywork, I'd have him copy his Bible verse he's memorizing, or a short quote from his history or science book each day, as these will also be more meaningful copywork than a separate book. HTH!

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

jenntracy

Post by jenntracy » Wed Oct 13, 2010 7:04 am

We are doing Beyond this year and the poems are fine this year.
Last year i had my son copy quotes that related to what we were studying or a phrase from a book we were reading. i found a pict of Frog and Toad for one and it matched the book we were reading so he copied a part from that page that matched in the book. He really like that one.
Currclick sometimes will have free or really cheap copywork sets online.

jenn D.
Mom to 4 Blessings
DS 14.5 yrs World Geography
DD 13 yrs MTMM
DD 10 yrs CTC
DS 7 yrs Bigger

rainsong

Post by rainsong » Wed Oct 13, 2010 8:04 pm

we have used draw write now and it is pretty nice. What about just letting him pick what to copy (from any book) on handwriting paper? We have done copywork on a whiteboard before too. There is also a series called Draw..then write that my son has enjoyed.
^^Rainsong^^
homeschool mama to
9 yo DS Scouter BLHFHG
5 yo DS Suntop LHFHG
working to bring home 5 yo ds Strongbow and 2 yo ds Redlance