Poetry in RTR

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
basesloaded

Poetry in RTR

Post by basesloaded » Thu Oct 07, 2010 2:58 pm

Just wondering if someone could tell me if there is poetry memorization in RTR?
Thanks!
Suzy in Eastern NC
Momma of boys 11th grade, 9th & 4th
HS World History, HS Geo & Preparing

Allison TX

Re: Poetry in RTR

Post by Allison TX » Fri Oct 08, 2010 9:17 am

Yes, there is. One day each week is devoted to reading/studying one of Emily Dickinson's poems. Then, every 7 weeks or so, there are two weeks dedicated to memorizing one of the poems you have studied. I don't have my guide in front of me so I can't be specific on which weeks are set aside for memorizing. Hope this helps! :)

Allison

basesloaded

Post by basesloaded » Fri Oct 08, 2010 10:47 am

:D Thank You! That's just what I needed to know!
Suzy in Eastern NC
Momma of boys 11th grade, 9th & 4th
HS World History, HS Geo & Preparing

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Tue Oct 12, 2010 2:12 pm

We are really enjoying the Emily Dickinson poetry in RTR. It's been a blessing to see my ds's interest in poetry grow and grow over the years of doing HOD's poetry. Our discussions about the poetry we are reading show he has a good grasp of understanding the underlying meaning of poems that is often much less obvious than the literal meaning of them. I think it's because of the poetic devices we studied in the various HOD guides we've done, as well as the neat discussions we've had about various poets and their poems. He was floored that Emily Dickinson did not title her poems, and he thinks it is amazing that she wrote such detailed poems about places she'd never been and things she'd never really seen. :D Anyway, I just had to share that this has been a joy to do, as the workload increases as dc get older, doing poetry with my ds is just pure fun. :D

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie