Picture Study?...how to incorporate

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Blessed with seven

Picture Study?...how to incorporate

Post by Blessed with seven » Tue Oct 05, 2010 3:51 pm

Hi,

Well..still deciding about Bigger or Preparing...whew! I got my Queen Language Lessons and you know what? I really love the picture study in a workbook form, w/ questions etc..BUT...I think that is all I would use of these workbooks because poetry and dictation are covered in the HOD Guides correct?

Any ideas how to incorporate the beautiful art work, like those in LL books? I can't see spending $23 a workbook just for the picture study but I love how it is all in the workbook w/ the questions etc...

Thanks again,

Kim

mamanlait

Re: Picture Study?...how to incorporate

Post by mamanlait » Wed Oct 06, 2010 4:18 pm

We go the cheap route with Picture Studies...

We go to our closet Art Museum at least once a year and take 6-12 pictures of the art work (ours allows this without a flash). We then go home and look the art up, learn about it, talk about it, study it visually for 4 weeks or so (I usually print it out and hang it up or at least have it on my computer but I recently purchased a book with all the art in it from the Gift Shop). We get specific artist's books at the library and read them. It is all done very informally but my kids can point out artists like Vermeer, Picasso, Monet, Cassatt, Van Gogh, and Degas just from doing this over the past few years.

Amy

dd9
dd5
Currently:
dd 16 AH1 -bits & pieces (previously used Bigger, Preparing, CtC, RtR, Rev, MMtM, WG, WH)
dd 12 REV (previously used LHTH, LHfHG, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CtC, & RtR)

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Sun Oct 10, 2010 1:15 pm

Picture study is included in RTR, just so you have that to look forward to! :D We used "Smart about Art" books years ago for picture study and enjoyed that. :D

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

Lynnw

Post by Lynnw » Sun Oct 10, 2010 1:39 pm

You might check your library for the "Come Look With Me...." series (there's a book on landscapes, children, animals, etc.). Each book has several prints to look at with a few questions for each one.
Married 19 years to Dh, Detective and Army Reservist: 1 tour in Iraq, 1 tour in Afghanistan
ds 12.5 (7th grade) RevtoRev
ds 9.5 (4th grade) Preparing

dd 8 (3rd grade) Beyond
ds 6 (K/1st grade) Beyond
dd 3