TRL cd rom

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
deltagal

TRL cd rom

Post by deltagal » Thu Sep 23, 2010 8:22 pm

Hi all,

I'm using TRL with my soon to be 6yo, but we are not using the cd-rom. I'm considering adding that in. Do any of you feel that it is an asset to the program?
With Joy!
Florence

My blog: http://florencebrooks.com/

Began HOD 1/2009
Currently using: Bigger, RTR, Rev to Rev and MTMM

3xblessed

Re: TRL cd rom

Post by 3xblessed » Thu Sep 23, 2010 8:35 pm

This is the first time we have used this book... but I do enjoy watching my daughter play with the CD :) Those days where I feel like she's not paying close attention, the CD reinforces everything we went over. My oldest daughter and younger son enjoy watching while she plays also. She doesn't play it everyday, but I am glad to have it for the days that she does want to use it. Hope that helps.
Tiffany
Excited about 1st year with HOD.
HS'ing mom to:
DD (8) Bigger Hearts
DD (5) Little Hearts
DS (3) working on letters, shapes, etc

HappyMama

Post by HappyMama » Fri Sep 24, 2010 7:40 am

I used TRL last year with my 6-year old successfully without the cd. I thought about getting it, but it seemed expensive and I guess I was too cheap, lol. :lol: Not saying that it wouldn't have been fun to have and my ds couldn't have benefitted from it.... I just wanted you to know that he did just fine without it and he's on to the Emerging Readers now and doing great. If you want a little something extra to reinforce the lessons without spending the $30, you could try Starfall (it's free). :)

rayjenl

Post by rayjenl » Fri Sep 24, 2010 2:41 pm

Hi there,
I bought the cd with the book, and my dd5 loves it. We are half way through chap. 6 doing about 2 pages a day. In the beginning when everything was really new and we were getting our groove the cd came in handy for the days she was struggling. I also used it as an incentive to get a page done. Now that she's doing so well getting through the pages we use the cd for fun, she's learning while having fun, and not even realizing it. It isn't necessary, but it just seems to enhance the program and help with getting over the bumps when she gets frustrated.
God Bless,
Jennifer
married 18 wonderful years
DD2005 - PHFHG
DS2007 - BHFHG
DD2008 - LHTH
DD2010 - mine, mine, mine
**Homeschooling is a blessing, thank you Lord for giving me peace thru HOD**

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Mon Sep 27, 2010 10:14 am

For what it's worth, we have many families at book fairs that used TRL with the CD the previous year that say the CD was an excellent component to the program as it reinforced what was taught in a fairly independent, very fun way. If you have the funds, I'd get it. If not, it works without it too. HTH! :D

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie