Science in RTR.....

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
pjdobro

Re: Science in RTR.....

Post by pjdobro » Fri Sep 24, 2010 2:01 pm

I really think it may come down to loneliness. My dh is deployed, we are no longer in a co-op that we have been in the last three years. I think that these two oldest sons maybe just need to do school together and that my oldest needs more interaction with me with his school work - not because of ability/level/placement - but just because he does.
It's understandable that life in general would be more of a challenge. I'm sure you all miss your dh terribly, but it can be especially hard on the older boys. Thank you and your family for your sacrifice for our country!!!
Patty in NC

b/g twins '02 Rev2Rev 2014/15
previously enjoyed LHFHG, BLHFHG, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, RTR
Nisi Dominus Frusta (Without God, frustration)
Unless the LORD builds the house, its builders labor in vain. Psalm 127:1

1shortmomof4

Post by 1shortmomof4 » Fri Sep 24, 2010 5:28 pm

Lynn - no need to worry about acknowledging me - you've got a lot on your plate and I just wanted to offer up a few suggestions - especially since RTR is the new program this year so those of us using it are learning new things, too this year.

I have a feeling that your last post was a peek into a mother's heart that perhaps it is not so much the academics at issue but the situation that your family is in right now - Dad being far away and living day-to-day wondering about his safety, and more. He may be 11.5 but he is still a little boy at heart and I'm sure that he is providing a lot of support to you as you tend to the youngers - it is just how that goes. I'm married to a Law Enforcement officer and I understand many of the strains (although not all because my dh was deployed in the first Gulf War and we had no children back then) but I've got 3 boys and I know how hard it would be on them if their dad was gone for so long. I'm so glad that someone mentioned combining the boys both into Bigger. One of my ds is 11 and he is doing Bigger - with some extensions but he is not a strong reader just yet - but I'm sure your son would enjoy this program just as much. It is encouraging when siblings can work together - worth more than the education itself so even if it is a bit on the easy side - it is just one year of focusing on other important things and perhaps by next school year Dad will be back and your family will have more security and normalcy. I have found with HOD (and with other programs) that my kids get the most out of a program and really engage in the learning when they are at the upper end of the program - more bang for the buck, so to speak.

I know there are no easy answers - but just wanted to encourage you.

Heidi
Heidi - LEO wife for over 21 years
Mom to 4 - ds 21 (college), ds (RTR), ds (visual-spatial learner who needs to see the big picture first) and future educator dd 18 (college)

Lynnw

Post by Lynnw » Sat Sep 25, 2010 3:55 am

Heidi,
We have a lot in common! You have hit the nail on the head and reading your post this morning has really blessed me! It breaks my heart a bit to set aside RTR (it is SO good! there are so many parts we are loving - notebooking, shakespeare, some of the projects, really all of it!) and my pride will take a blow if I confess to homeschool friends here that I have changed my plans again. But none of that matters as much as the hearts of my children and I'm praying the Lord will give me a peace about setting RTR aside if that is the right thing to do.

Thank you again!
Lynn
Married 19 years to Dh, Detective and Army Reservist: 1 tour in Iraq, 1 tour in Afghanistan
ds 12.5 (7th grade) RevtoRev
ds 9.5 (4th grade) Preparing

dd 8 (3rd grade) Beyond
ds 6 (K/1st grade) Beyond
dd 3