Half Pace is my friend!

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Lynnw

Half Pace is my friend!

Post by Lynnw » Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:01 am

We went half pace for the first unit and saw how great everything was and decided to go full pace - which we did for the next two units. Whew! At the end of that my house was a wreck and the 2nd Friday saw us working until 3 or 4:00 (late start, off schedule, winging it.... didn't work well, LOL). So, acknowledging that we are not "scheduled - trained" yet, that we have a very full load of extra activities, that I don't want my house to get any worse than it already is (and 3 appointments fell into this week!) .... we went back to half pace this week. Ahhhhhh.... it feels so nice! Actually my little ones can do LHFHG full pace. But having Bigger and RTR half pace is great right now. (Still doing math and LA everyday!)

Just wanted to share :D
Lynn
Married 19 years to Dh, Detective and Army Reservist: 1 tour in Iraq, 1 tour in Afghanistan
ds 12.5 (7th grade) RevtoRev
ds 9.5 (4th grade) Preparing

dd 8 (3rd grade) Beyond
ds 6 (K/1st grade) Beyond
dd 3

GinainMD

Re: Half Pace is my friend!

Post by GinainMD » Wed Sep 22, 2010 2:42 pm

I love having that flexibility! We started out full speed with Beyond but take every day as it comes. We ended up taking a couple of days at half speed due to a cold. I love being able to slow down when things get busy one of the real joys of homeschooling with HOD.
Gina
married to dh 2000
dd 12/01 Bigger
dd 08/03 Bigger
dd 03/07 LHTH
dd 06/08 LHTH

Tree House Academy

Post by Tree House Academy » Wed Sep 22, 2010 3:16 pm

That is wonderful! I am glad you found what works for you and your dear children. :)
~Rebecca~

ds13(8th) - Rev to Rev w/ TT Pre-Algebra, R&S English 6, CLE Reading 8, Rosetta Stone French
ds9 (4th) - Preparing Hearts, TT Math 4, R&S English 3, CLE Reading 4, & Writeshop Jr.

We have completed LHFHG, BLHFHG, Bigger, CTC, & RTR.

Mommamo

Post by Mommamo » Wed Sep 22, 2010 8:37 pm

That's great to hear!

We've always done HOD full pace (with LHFHG and Beyond) but now that we're about to start Bigger we're going to give half pace a try for a while too. It's so nice that HOD is incredibly easy to make fit your own lifestyle.
Momma to my 4 sweeties:
DD 14 - MTMM and DITHOR (completed LHFHG, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, took a couple years off, and now she's back!)
DS 11 and DD 9 - Preparing(completed 2 rounds of LHTH, LHFHG, Beyond, and Bigger)
DD 6 - LHFHG

brenm37

Post by brenm37 » Thu Sep 23, 2010 9:40 am

I am enjoying CTC half pace with one daughter, while the other goes at it full speed! Flexibility is awesome! :D
Brenda

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Wed Sep 29, 2010 3:51 pm

Lynn,

I agree that it is so nice to be able to flex within a curriculum to find the best fit for YOUR family, without losing the steady progress forward. :D We are enjoying full-speed right now with a highschooler, a sixth grader in RTR, a second grader just finishing Beyond, and a 4 year old in full-speed LHTH. However, last year, we did half-speed LHTH, 4 day a week Beyond, full-speed CTC, and full-speed RTR. I love being able to find the right fit that each new year brings with its special circumstances and needs, yet being able to find that fit within the HOD guides we're using at the time! It gives me structured flexibility. :D

Blessings,
Carrie