? About SRA reading system for Carrie or anyone

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
psreit

? About SRA reading system for Carrie or anyone

Post by psreit » Sun Sep 19, 2010 9:37 pm

I have been using TRL with dd. I like it, but I'm not sure we are gaining the desired results. DD has some difficulties that I feel may require some specialized training when it come to reading. After discussing some of dd's issues with another mom in our homeschool group who has a son who struggles with some of the same issues, I have learned about SRA Reading Mastery. This is a special program used in public schools with students who have some learning disabilities. My cousin teaches in one of those special classes and said that is what they use. I am not trying to downplay HOD's choices, or trying to endorse something else. I just feel I'm in a unique situation with my dd when it comes to reading, so I want to make sure i am utilizing resources that will help with some of dd's struggles. I was wondering if Carrie or anyone else is familiar with SRA. It is a very expensive program, but my cousin said I could probably use one of the school's teacher books. The other mom who used it said it really helped her son, after trying other reading programs. I'm just not sure which way to go. It sounds like a good option, but if anyone can give me more insight to help make a decision, I'd really appreciate it.
I have no greater joy than to hear that my children walk in truth. III John 4
Pam
dh 33 yrs
ds29 church planter in MA
dd27 SAH mom
dd26
dd 12
3 dgs(5,2, & born 6/15) & 2 dgd(3 & born 2/15)

MomtoJGJE

Re: ? About SRA reading system for Carrie or anyone

Post by MomtoJGJE » Mon Sep 20, 2010 5:46 am

I haven't thought about SRA in years, so I don't really remember much about it. BUT I do want to say it's not just for kids who are behind! I was WAY advanced in reading in school... in elementary I was way advanced in everything except handwriting :) But we had SRA packets in our rooms... when we got finished with our work AND our homework we could go and do some of the packets for extra credit. I remember it being SO MUCH FUN!

Now that I think about it though, it might have been fun because it was so easy and I was getting credit for it? But it was still fun and I'm sure it didn't hurt me at all to do it! :)

juliekay

Re: ? About SRA reading system for Carrie or anyone

Post by juliekay » Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:04 pm

When it comes to reading and phonics I say use whatever works for your child! This Mama uses SRA. We work between the 100 Easy Lessons (SRA) and the SRA Phonics 1 workbook by McGraw Hill. These are not expensive materials. We work with the 100 Easy lessons schedule that introduces the letter m, a, s sounds first so we skip around the workbook pages to coordinate the letter review to our reading lesson. It's been a proven method with 3 of my kiddos and # 4 is working on this schedule right now! :)
Julie
2010-2011
ds 13 RTR plus
ds 12 RTR plus
ds 8 RTR
dd 5
ds 2
We loved using Bigger & Preparing