?about using two guides?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
twoxcell

?about using two guides?

Post by twoxcell » Tue Sep 14, 2010 3:01 pm

Ok so I was trying to combine my two dc with Beyond, but I felt like dd was missing out on too much, and she would have a really tough time with Bigger next year. I ended up getting Little Hearts for her and now we are doing two guides. It is going great and the kids are both doing well. They do their seat work separately but when it comes to storytime, and history reading I just read both of theirs in a row on the couch. They also end up doing each others activities most days. What I'm wondering is will dd be bored with Beyond next year since she is hearing and doing most of it along with Little Hearts. Does anyone have any experience with this? I know I can switch up the storytime selections next year, and she will be doing the right side of Beyond.
ds 12 RevtoRev
dd 9 Preparing
dd 7 Beyond
ds 5 Little Hearts
dd due September 20th

HappyMama

Re: ?about using two guides?

Post by HappyMama » Tue Sep 14, 2010 5:27 pm

Hmmm.....this is a really good question! My younger ds also listens in on his brother's history and storytime. Mine are 2 years apart, so I'm not doing guides back-to-back like you are. But still, I've wondered the same thing.....

Sorry I have no advice, but I'm going to be watching this thread! :)

twoxcell

Post by twoxcell » Tue Sep 14, 2010 6:10 pm

Mine are actually two years apart too, but dd is advanced for her age. She technically wouldn't be in K until next fall because her b-day is in Oct. We will see how the year goes, but I'm wondering if I should do something for her between LHFHG and BLHFHG.
ds 12 RevtoRev
dd 9 Preparing
dd 7 Beyond
ds 5 Little Hearts
dd due September 20th

Tree House Academy

Post by Tree House Academy » Tue Sep 14, 2010 7:59 pm

I don't think it will bother her to hear the stories...but I would probably try to seperate the History readings and only do the Storytime together. You can actually pick ONE book for storytime and read it to both kids (saving you precious time). For instance, pick one biography, read it to both children, and have them go back and do the activity in their own guide (or orally narrate working together, etc). By doing history readings seperately, you can make sure that neither of them get confused too. Beyond is early Pioneer History and Little Hearts is back in Bible days. I would definitely try to keep them seperate.

We are doing two guides too, but do not face what you do - my older is in CTC and younger is in Beyond (so essentially 2 years before I repeat a guide). Because of the age differences and History differences, I actually do read my older son the Storytime History readers scheduled in the guide and I read my younger son the storytime books recommended in his guide. It is worth it for me to take that extra time each day just so I know that each child is getting what he needs on his level. With kids so close together (like yours) I am sure it can be tough.
~Rebecca~

ds13(8th) - Rev to Rev w/ TT Pre-Algebra, R&S English 6, CLE Reading 8, Rosetta Stone French
ds9 (4th) - Preparing Hearts, TT Math 4, R&S English 3, CLE Reading 4, & Writeshop Jr.

We have completed LHFHG, BLHFHG, Bigger, CTC, & RTR.

twoxcell

Post by twoxcell » Tue Sep 14, 2010 8:29 pm

LHFHG uses the Burgess books so storytime is not by genre. The amount of time I spend reading doesn't bother me at all. The funniest part is my ds did History for Little Pilgrims last year, but he still wants to hear it again, so maybe this really isn't gonna be an issue for her.
ds 12 RevtoRev
dd 9 Preparing
dd 7 Beyond
ds 5 Little Hearts
dd due September 20th

amethyst rain

Post by amethyst rain » Wed Sep 15, 2010 7:02 am

What I've noticed with myself is that I tend to overthink these things. I would recomend just continuing on with what you are doing now. Then, when next year comes try her out in Beyond and see what happens. You may or may not need to change a thing. :D

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Thu Sep 16, 2010 7:36 pm

I'd probably have them do their Storytimes together, but not their history and activities - but that's just me. :wink: It's probably not a big deal right now, but later everyone doing everything from everyone else's guides adds soooo much time to the day - and can cause everyone to head for burnout (especially mom as the day goes on and on). If you just did their history readings separate, and had them do their separate activities but alongside each other, you'd not have to worry about repeating anything the next year. :) If you think you are going to be worried about repeating things next year (and I do think that's a valid concern, as dc are not inspired to read the same things and do the same activities 2 years in a row), and you might end up feeling like you have to place younger dd in Bigger Hearts (which she will not be ready for) with older sibling because of it, I'd just go to doing the Storytimes together now. I've found its actually very special to have some one-on-one time with each child during school, especially for character and Biblical discussions. But, I know things are going well, so you'll have to decide what's best to do! :wink:

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie