R&S English in CTC

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
mothergooseofthree

R&S English in CTC

Post by mothergooseofthree » Mon Sep 13, 2010 1:55 pm

We are doing CTC and loving it. Ds did CLE LA last year, but we switched to R&S 4 as scheduled in CTC. I think it will mostly be a review, but CLE was rigorous for us last year and I like this approach better.

I see that the entire book is not scheduled in CTC. Do you just continue with it next year? Do you just stop at the end of the year and move on to 5 next year? Since it is a review, should I just pick up the pace and try to finish 4 this year and then move on to 5 next year?

How do most handle this?

Carrie
Site Admin

Re: R&S English in CTC

Post by Carrie » Tue Sep 14, 2010 1:53 pm

mothergooseofthree,

I'm so glad that you're getting a chance to use CTC! We pray it will be a blessing to your family. :D

As far as the English goes, CTC plans for you to do the first half only of your choice of English 4 or 5. Then, RTR picks up where CTC left off and finishes the last half of the English level you selected in CTC. The reason we do this is because the additional writing scheduled in CTC and RTR is plenty without a full grammar schedule daily (with writing lessons) on top of it! :D

So, with that in mind, I would lean toward doing the grammar lessons as scheduled in order to keep the written work in balance for your daughter. If you feel that she is beyond English 4, you could go the English 5 route (over two years instead). :D How old is your daughter and/or what grade would you consider her to be in this year? If she's a 5th grader, we would typically recommend she do English 4. :D

Blessings,
Carrie

my3sons

Re: R&S English in CTC

Post by my3sons » Sat Sep 18, 2010 8:56 am

I like your user name - too fun! :D Do you also live in a shoe? :lol: Anyway, Carrie already answered so well, but I'll just add that we did CTC last year, and we found doing R & S English 4 two times a week was perfect when paired with the rest of the writing in CTC. We loved CTC - have you started? I think you'll love it too. We liked the schedule of alternating 2 days of R & S English with 2 days of "Write with the Best". I think it helped my ds give "Write with the Best" his all. :D Along with the written narrations, copywork, dictation, history notebooking, science lab sheet, etc. in CTC, the writing was varied enough to be kept interesting while rigorous enough to be academically sound. HTH!

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie