Fish out of Water

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Marcee

Fish out of Water

Post by Marcee » Sun Sep 12, 2010 9:40 am

I'm starting to feel a bit of panic set in. I feel like I spend more time trying to figure out what we are doing for the current day than "doing" school. Constantly flipping back and forth (thanks ladies for the ideas in my previous post regarding this). Granted, I've only been using the guide for 4 days, but I just feel so disorganized. I tought that we would just fly by the seat of our pants for a couple of weeks and see how things played out to get an idea of what a "natural" schedule would be for us. I don't thnk that is going to work! I just need to create one :shock: Let's just say, this is not my strong suit! I have read the wonderful thread on scheduling-I just have no idea what would work for us. (I'm paniking more as I write this because tmw is school) :shock:

Each day with HOD, I realize I don't have what I need! What mom doesn't have construction paper or paints!? What mom doesn't have a globe or world map? Thank God I had a laundry basket and some socks :oops: I can't stand being disorganized, but at the same time I haven't had the forethougt to pepare!?

I have no clue how to school two kids! I've been doing DD first and then DS. By the time we start the day and I get DD done, DS has no interest in schooling becasue he has been playing all day.

Ok-I'm just blabbering! Thanks for letting me vent :cry:

grandsophy

Re: Fish out of Water

Post by grandsophy » Sun Sep 12, 2010 10:33 am

I look through the week on Sunday to see if I need any materials.

I put post-it flags on the poem of the week, the 1st grade math schedule, etc.

In the curriculum guide, I draw a little line in the margin by all the activities we're going to do. Then as we do them, I put an x on the little line so I can see at a glance what we still need to do.

I do not follow a rigid schedule of what time we do what. That would make me panic, fall behind schedule, and feel like a failure. We start school about the same time every day, and when we're done, we're done.

We start with my oldest's math, then we do the active stuff from the younger ones' HOD book, then we sit down at the table and do all the workbook stuff, usually starting with handwriting because they're all using similar books.

When the workbook stuff is done, we take a break. The kids run around outside, I have some tea.

Then at lunch I read the history and devotions to the kids. If they're done with their lunch, they draw while I read.
In the afternoon my oldest does her independent reading.

It's a very vague schedule, but anything more concrete is very panic-inducing.
Remember, this is your homeschool and it doesn't have to (and probably shouldn't!) look like anyone else's homeschool. This is the beauty of homeschooling. Make it fit you.
3 Daughters
4th grader: Teaching Textbooks, Portraits of American Girlhood, Queen Language & CLE Science
Kindergarten & 1st Grader: Little Hearts for His Glory, CLE Math, CLE Language

HollyS

Post by HollyS » Sun Sep 12, 2010 12:47 pm

This is our first year with HOD. I started in July and it took us 6 weeks to finish 3 units. I was wondering how we were going to finish before they left for college. :lol: Once we hit week 4, it clicked for all of us and I was finally able to finish a unit in a week! We are going to start unit 6 tomorrow and so far, it's been a big hit with all of us. They have a better understanding of what's expected of them (and I have a better handle on the page flipping). :wink:

As far as schedule/routine, we do all the "learning through history" boxes, then storytime. After that, we work on the other "learning through basics" boxes. I alternate teaching time between the two children (one works with me and one works alone) and generally let them pick which they want to complete first. I make sure math is finished before lunch since it seems to drag on if we wait until after. We usually finish reading/phonics after lunch. I was originally planning on breaking up the 3R's with the history sections, but I've found this routine flows much better for us...you may want to try a few different routines as well.
Holly, mom to 4
DD 10 and DS 7 -- Bigger
DD 5 -- LHTH
DD 2

Tmisek

Post by Tmisek » Sun Sep 12, 2010 1:44 pm

Don't panic! I am sure everything will fall into place soon, and you will have a nice routine which works for YOU! :D

Some things which have helped me keep the "overwhelmed" feeling away are:

I only begin one guide at a time at the beginning of the year. My oldest did Bigger for two weeks before I added LHFHG (which we are only doing half-speed).

We do the guide in the same order every day. Dd8 begins with Math and DITHOR. Then she moves onto cursive, music in her room, and the extension reading. Since she does those independently, I work with my youngers while she is doing those things. Then we do History, Lower left activity, Bible and Science. Usually break for lunch. (We could read storytime at lunch if needed). And finish up with Poetry, English and Dictation. Usually if we start at 9:00, we are done around 1:00 using this routine.

Some basic supplies which may be helpful are crayons, markers, scissors, white glue, glue sticks, printer paper, manilla paper, construction paper, watercolor paper, tempera paints, watercolor paints, plastic paint palettes, various paint brushes, glitter glue, yarn, ribbon, dried beans or macaroni noodles (for math activities), nice "play" money, a globe, US map, and colored pencils. A ruler and measuring tape, too.

The Durable Post-It tabs are invaluable!! We are in different places in math within the guides, and I like to keep Poetry and other areas marked. Each day when we finish, I move the tab to the next page and we are ready to flip right to it the next day!

Each child has their own drawer (in a plastic 3-drawer file) that they keep their books in so they are organized. I also keep most of the craft stuff in a cupboard so that is together and I am not hunting around.

Those are a few things which have worked for us. May your school year be blessed! :D
Tammy

Mommy of 3 treasures:
dd14
ds12
dd10

:) Enjoyed: LHFHG through MTMM!

countrymom

Post by countrymom » Sun Sep 12, 2010 1:52 pm

Here are two things I have done that makes our schooling flow so smoothly:
1. I have a 6 drawer bin on wheels (I wanted 8 drawers but couldn't find one at the time). I put a sticker on each drawer labeling the subject. At the end of schooling for the day, I go through each subject and get everything I will need for the next day. I just put it all in the drawer - construction paper, glue, food, whatever. I do have little bins for each boys with glue, crayons, pencils, and erasers, so that is always handy. If something doesn't fit in the drawers I put it on top. That way when I start school I wheel the drawer bin over and we go - no interruptions!
2. After the first couple of weeks I have a good idea of the order I want to do the boxes in. Actually, this last time I poured through the manual long enough that I knew before we started. Then I made a checklist on my computer and put the boxes in order. I just check it off as I go. This also keeps the manual from getting so messy as more than one child uses it. I just print a checklist at the beginning of each unit.
With these two methods we flow very smoothly with little to no interruptions. I use the tabs in the manual and have found them to be easy to use. I buy the heavier duty tabs. Hang in there, you will find a system that works, it just takes a little time. I probably spend 15 minutes getting ready for the next day, give or take a little. I do it right away when we finish school so I don't forget.
Countrymom
Wife to J
Big J - LHFHG, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, R2R, Rev to Rev, Modern Missions, beginning parts of World Geography
Little J - LHTH, LHFHG, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, working in CTC

Happy2bMommyof3

Post by Happy2bMommyof3 » Sun Sep 12, 2010 6:39 pm

Hi, forgive me for repeating if another post says that same thing, but I find it helpful to get the older child started doing something he/she can do independently and then school the younger one(s). We also utilize nap time to have instruction time for the older child while the house is quieter. I am by no means an expert and am struggling through this with you, but these things have really helped me out.

Just give it a little more time and the schedule will work out itself as it has for us. I am trying not to stress so much on "getting it done" while it is the goal...and we are getting it done...but trying to "enjoy the journey" with the dc.

Hugs!!
Heather
Wife to the most hardworking man I know,
Mother to three amazing gifts from the King...
Amelia -8 - BHFHG + DITHOR
Noah - 5 - Christian Liberty Press Kindergarten
Lily - 4 -Rod and Staff Pre-K

annaz

Post by annaz » Sun Sep 12, 2010 7:03 pm

In addition to what others said, you'll find that every week, most of the sames things are done on the same day!

For example, in Preparing, Day one in History, we read, Day two we read, Day 3 we narrate and Day 4 we write our narration.

In Science, Day one is always reading along with a picture draw and verse application, day two is narrate, day 3 is answering the questions and day for is an experiment and notebooking.

Once you find that common ground every week, you'll know what to expect.

And as the others mentioned, you'll need common craft supplies.
Married 1994
One DD 6/2000
One DH :)
One cat
One dog
Three horses :shock:

Tree House Academy

Post by Tree House Academy » Sun Sep 12, 2010 7:26 pm

I go through the lesson a week at a time and write little notes in the margin as to what I need on what day. By doing this on Friday afternoons or Saturday morning, I can easily get anything I don't have well in time for school. For instance, last week my son in CTC made the Herbrew Head dress and we needed straws. On Sat, I went and got straws. On Monday's History Project box, I put a star beside the box and wrote "straws, thread, ruler, scissors" in the margin.

We use workboxes, so, on Sunday night, I just loaded his workbox with his normal items (History book, student pages) and added the items he needed to make the first part of his headdress. When he got to that part, he read the box, got the materials out of his workbox, and did exactly as he was instructed in the guide. :)
~Rebecca~

ds13(8th) - Rev to Rev w/ TT Pre-Algebra, R&S English 6, CLE Reading 8, Rosetta Stone French
ds9 (4th) - Preparing Hearts, TT Math 4, R&S English 3, CLE Reading 4, & Writeshop Jr.

We have completed LHFHG, BLHFHG, Bigger, CTC, & RTR.

Marcee

Post by Marcee » Sun Sep 12, 2010 9:13 pm

Well girls, I went out and got some Post it tabs! They are awesome. I have marked specific sections in my TM (poetry, ryhymes etc.) and then marked which unit/day we are using for the day. All of my books are marked for the current day with where we need to read. No more looking at the TM and then trying to flip thru the book to find the right pages. DD has makeup work from Friday since we were out of town. Her books are marked with a tab for makeup work and the current days work. I will be copying certain things for her to keep in her notebook like narration tips, good reader tips etc. Both of our DITHOR books are marked as well.

I went thru the week and wrote down supplies we will need for certain activites and purchased the items I needed. Later this week I will purchase some other supplies that we did not have when we started so my kids can do the activities to look back on.

I also printed out there memory verses on a shipping label, stuck it to a 4x6 index card and put it in a 4x6 photo album so they can see what they have memorized and what they are currently working on. Much easier than having to go back and forth in the Bible each day.

Now my kids can see what books they will need each day because they are marked with an orange tab that says "Today". They can grab those off the shelf by themselves to get ready for school.

It feels so good to be organized! Thanks so much for your help:)

deltagal

Post by deltagal » Sun Sep 12, 2010 9:17 pm

Wow Marcee...you're really rocking now. And for what it's worth I don't have a globe either, because my dc have destroyed the last 2. I keep our memory verses in a card file box on the window ledge right by the Breakfast table and we go over them before they even leave the table. Just a thought...
With Joy!
Florence

My blog: http://florencebrooks.com/

Began HOD 1/2009
Currently using: Bigger, RTR, Rev to Rev and MTMM

Marcee

Post by Marcee » Mon Sep 13, 2010 7:26 am

deltagal wrote:Wow Marcee...you're really rocking now. And for what it's worth I don't have a globe either, because my dc have destroyed the last 2. I keep our memory verses in a card file box on the window ledge right by the Breakfast table and we go over them before they even leave the table. Just a thought...
My son destroyed our globe when he was younger-hence the reason we don't have one either :lol:
I love the memory verse idea:)

Tansy

Post by Tansy » Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:31 am

globes are very expensive... We got a night light globe and just took the works out of it for like $9 at a local store. Its amazingly durable.
but you have lots of options some of which are quite fun. We use the wii (news) you can spin the globe really fast on the tv... and in all directions.
the program "google earth" you can look up places pretty easily. We have maps and an atlas I asked for last year Christmas. *:wink: Thanks Grandma*

I have substituted paper when I didn't have/can't find kids took it, construction paper. And even grated chalk mixed with water to make paint in a pinch.
don't worry it gets better :D
♪♫•*¨*•.¸❤¸.•*¨*•♪♫•*¨*•.¸❤¸.•*¨*•♪♫
Dyslexics of the world Untie!
Adoptive Mom to 2 girls
http://gardenforsara.blogspot.com/
♪♫•*¨*•.¸❤¸.•*¨*•♪♫•*¨*•.¸❤¸.•*¨*•♪♫

twoxcell

Post by twoxcell » Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:45 am

I'm using two guides and this is my schedule. I do not follow specific times, but we generally start around 9, and end by 2.

Bible(ds)
Bible(dd)
Math (ds)
Math (dd)
Spelling/Grammar(ds he does spelling 3 days, and Grammar 2 days
Cursive ds
Handwriting/Fine motor skills (dd)
Break/exercise time (my dh comes home for lunch at 10:15, so the kids break and do exercise videos during this time.
phonics (dd)
Latin/Spanish
tot time(for the littles, but everyone participates)
Lunch
Storytime (ds)
Storytime(dd)
History/rotating box(ds) rotating box consists of science 2x a week, geography, art, history project, etc.
Histroy/rotating box (dd)
rhymes in motion (dd)
poetry/copywork (ds)
Together time (art 1x a week, music 2x a week, president study, state study)
Reading (ds reads to me)
Projects (baking, making playdoh etc.

We do most of our seat work first, and I take turns with the kids. The other can go play with my littles when it is not their turn. During Storytime, and History readings I give the kids playdoh, and I read. They generally listen to each others readings. They also both tend to participate in the rotating box. I also look over the unit on Sunday so I know what to expect.
ds 12 RevtoRev
dd 9 Preparing
dd 7 Beyond
ds 5 Little Hearts
dd due September 20th

3xblessed

Post by 3xblessed » Mon Sep 13, 2010 6:38 pm

I love the photo album/verse keeper. I may have to borrow that idea. :) A globe suggestion: Schoolbox and Hobby Lobby carries them here ~ I bought an inflatable globe. Looks like a beach ball, but it's a globe. It was about $8 and we can throw it back and forth and play games while learning memory verses, etc. and when we went on vacation, I was able to take it with us! I thought it would be more durable than a regular globe since we have an active 3 yr old boy. :D Just wanted to share.
Tiffany
Excited about 1st year with HOD.
HS'ing mom to:
DD (8) Bigger Hearts
DD (5) Little Hearts
DS (3) working on letters, shapes, etc

pjdobro

Post by pjdobro » Mon Sep 13, 2010 7:33 pm

Tiffany,

Thanks for posting about Hobby Lobby having the inflatable globe! I've been looking all over locally trying to find one of the inflatable globes. I don't have a globe either. We've just been using the world map and our imaginations, but I saw the inflatable globes online and thought that might be a good alternative. I didn't want to order one without seeing it though since I had read some negative reviews about some of them. I've looked at various stores here and couldn't find one. We have a Hobby Lobby not that far from here so now I'll go there and hopefully be able to get one! Thanks! :D
Patty in NC

b/g twins '02 Rev2Rev 2014/15
previously enjoyed LHFHG, BLHFHG, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, RTR
Nisi Dominus Frusta (Without God, frustration)
Unless the LORD builds the house, its builders labor in vain. Psalm 127:1