Grammar in Beyond/Bigger; FLL vs. R&S

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
krazzymommy

Grammar in Beyond/Bigger; FLL vs. R&S

Post by krazzymommy » Sat Sep 11, 2010 9:11 pm

Hi all! This is my first time posting here and I wasn't sure whether to post in Beyond or Bigger, so I'm posting here!

I am thinking of doing Beyond next year; I am very excited by the look of the program. We are currently using First Language Lessons and had planned (before finding HOD) on doing FLL 1 & 2 and then transitioning into R&S 3. It doesn't look like that is quite the sequence recommended here. :D

My question is, should I:
Drop FLL 1 & 2 completely and just use the grammar in the Beyond guide (is there any?) and then do R&S 2 when we get to Bigger?
Or, continue FLL1/2 and then do R&S2 when we get to Bigger? (Is that too repetitive?)
Or, do FLL1/2 and then R&S3 when we get to Bigger?

Thank you for any advice!
~Monica
DD8 - Bigger
DS10 - CtC

We've enjoyed: Little Hands to Heaven, Little Hearts for His Glory, Beyond Little Hearts for His Glory, and Bigger Hearts for His Glory - took a break from HOD for awhile; excited to get back into it!

blessedmomof4

Re: Grammar in Beyond/Bigger; FLL vs. R&S

Post by blessedmomof4 » Sun Sep 12, 2010 12:10 am

I haven't used Beyond but I bellieve that all language arts skills are written into the daily lessons in the guide, so that your child would be ready for R and S 2 by the time you got to Bigger.
Lourdes
Wife to Danforth
2 grads 9/19/92,7/8/95
2 in charter school 1/31/98, 9/19/99
3 in Heaven 8/11/06, 8/18/10, 9/13/13
Future HODie is here! 9/14/12

Happy2bMommyof3

Post by Happy2bMommyof3 » Sun Sep 12, 2010 6:02 am

Hi,
My dd was ready for more that what was in the Beyond Language Arts box last year, so I used the R & S Cllimbing to Good English book for 2nd grade. It was what we needed. Now we are in R & S English 2 with Bigger and it is perfect!
Heather
Wife to the most hardworking man I know,
Mother to three amazing gifts from the King...
Amelia -8 - BHFHG + DITHOR
Noah - 5 - Christian Liberty Press Kindergarten
Lily - 4 -Rod and Staff Pre-K

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Sun Sep 12, 2010 8:18 am

Welcome to the HOD Board! :D All posts start on the Main Board, so you posted just the right place. Beyond has once a week lessons that provide an introduction to grammar, including the basic parts of speech. R & S English 2 is scheduled daily in Bigger Hearts. Depending on the age of your dc, I'd guess doing R & S English 2 would be a good bet, since they've done FLL. You could either do it daily as scheduled in Bigger Hearts, or spread it out over 2 years while doing Beyond and Bigger. As far as general placement goes, the placement chart is accurate and easy to use. Just pay the closest attention to the first page of it, and you should be able to see where your dc place better. You can also compare the first week of plans for Beyond and Bigger. If you could tell us a little about your dc - how old they are and where they place skillwise according to reading/writing/math, etc. we can all chime in and help with placement. Here's a link to the placement chart:
http://www.heartofdakota.com/placing-your-child.php

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie