Dear Carrie

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Marcee

Dear Carrie

Post by Marcee » Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:56 pm

Two years ago I attempted to H'school my DD. It was an awful experience for both of us. Before we even reached 18 weeks I put her back in PS. It was still in my heart to H'school, but the time was not right. We moved to TX in June of this year and surprisingly my DH suggested I H'school. DD was in tears! Her memory of the experience 2 years ago was still fresh in her mind. The next 30 days after informing her were SO stressful. I tried to get her excited about "box day" when all of her new things would come. She wasn't the least bit interested.

Day 1: She told me I was a great teacher and that she was having fun.
Day 2: She wanted to do more than what is in the curriculum-she wants to school ALL DAY!
Day 3: We are in Austin and have brought our HOD with us as we were not able to finish school before we left Dallas this afternoon. Upon arriving to our hotel room, she ripped open the suitcase, grabbed her history book and asked me to read it. However, daddy wanted to go check out the pool and get soemthing to eat at the restaurant. She was pretty disappointed that we wouldn't be doing history just then. Upon arriving in the room after dinner, she immediately mentioned getting back to schooling (It was 8 pm). I encouraged her to go swim instead :D

All of this is a big surprise to me. I expected a huge struggle, bad attitude and having to drink wine during the day :wink: Instead I have a child that is loving to learn. She takes great pride in memorizing her Bible verse and loved doing her brothers "socks in the laundry bin" exercise to practice. She has taken it on herself to school her brother. Today she read him Reddy Fox and yesterday helped him with his math. In 3 short days HOD has changed not only my DD, but me as well. God is blessing our family through this wonderful program and I am so grateful that he moved in your heart to create it.

Each morning I am excited to teach and learn with my children. That is a wonderful feeling!

Thank you from the bottom of my heart!

deltagal

Re: Dear Carrie

Post by deltagal » Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:05 pm

Marcee,

What a wonderful story! thank you for sharing...
With Joy!
Florence

My blog: http://florencebrooks.com/

Began HOD 1/2009
Currently using: Bigger, RTR, Rev to Rev and MTMM

3xblessed

Post by 3xblessed » Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:07 pm

Marcee,

Thanks for sharing that. That sounds just like our family. My girls race to see who can get up first so they begin our day, and today my oldest wanted to read Reddy Fox to her sister. It's amazing the change in your children when you find that right fit. This is our 1st year with HOD and they are loving it!
Tiffany
Excited about 1st year with HOD.
HS'ing mom to:
DD (8) Bigger Hearts
DD (5) Little Hearts
DS (3) working on letters, shapes, etc

Bramble

Post by Bramble » Thu Sep 09, 2010 9:14 pm

I love your story!! We have similar story. I love HOD and how it has changed our homeschool!!

mommadonna

Post by mommadonna » Thu Sep 09, 2010 9:23 pm

Hod has truly changed our lives, too!!! The other day I had to get off the phone with my dear friend because my little guy was sitting at the table waiting for me to get off the phone to do school! That is such a change from the drudgery we had last year!! I am SO impressed with HOD!! I am also so glad that I have this board to vent my excitement, so that I don't give too many unsolicited suggestions to my other hsing friends! Thanks for being here girls!
Donna
ds7 Beyond
dd4 listening in, consuming workbooks, TRL and some of LHFHG
ds2 making us all laugh and eating erasers

annaz

Post by annaz » Thu Sep 09, 2010 10:37 pm

What an awesome story!

And I can relate to the wine during the day blurb. :lol:
Married 1994
One DD 6/2000
One DH :)
One cat
One dog
Three horses :shock:

grandsophy

Post by grandsophy » Thu Sep 09, 2010 10:38 pm

annaz wrote:What an awesome story!

And I can relate to the wine during the day blurb. :lol:
Tea helps. Big pots of tea. :D
3 Daughters
4th grader: Teaching Textbooks, Portraits of American Girlhood, Queen Language & CLE Science
Kindergarten & 1st Grader: Little Hearts for His Glory, CLE Math, CLE Language

countrymom

Post by countrymom » Fri Sep 10, 2010 4:46 am

What a wonderful story! I am happy for you and your children.
Countrymom
Wife to J
Big J - LHFHG, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, R2R, Rev to Rev, Modern Missions, beginning parts of World Geography
Little J - LHTH, LHFHG, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, working in CTC

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Fri Sep 10, 2010 6:21 pm

Marcee - I am so happy for you and your dd! :D She sounds precious. This is such a good start to the year, and you are doing a good job of being an encourager with her - right from the "box day" to now. You have a lot of good learning ahead of you in BHFHG. May the Lord continue to bless your decision to homeschool your dd to know Him well through HOD! :D

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Mon Sep 13, 2010 2:35 pm

Marcee,

You blessed my heart more than you can imagine today! :wink: I can picture your precious daughter on her hotel room bed with her history book in hand, so excited about her school. :D Thank you so much for sharing the change that HOD has brought to your daughter's life and to your life as well. We pray for the Lord to bring those to HOD who will be blessed by it, and He knew it would be you! :D

I am also so grateful for this board and the wonderful ladies who post on it and for those who simply read it too. :wink: The Lord has brought us together to build one another up as we seek to accomplish His will for our lives. What a terrific place to come together. :D

Thanks for sharing from your heart! :D

Blessings,
Carrie