RTR (for all my children!!!!!)

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
aprilmd

RTR (for all my children!!!!!)

Post by aprilmd » Thu Sep 09, 2010 2:28 pm

I am so excited. We are on week 2 - day 2 and loving this program. I was a little concerned with my youngest (dd9.5) being in RTR because of her age, but she is doing great. She can do everything in RTR except the Medieval Writing. We are having her use a younger writing program. I have also shortened her written narration. This is working wonderfully. The two older girls are encouraging the younger one in all that they are doing. It is so much fun doing the history projects together. I am not an art person, so I am encouraged that we are getting the projects done and they are looking fabulous. We love Peril and Peace - my only problem is I am staying up late to read this book. Beautiful Girlhood has been a BLESSING, especially for my oldest. Forbidden Gates has none of us wanting to put it down. Their notebooks are all fantastic. I can't say enough. Carrie, I want to thank you for your hard work. It is already paying off in my family. :D :D :D
April - BHFHG, CTC, RTR, RevtoRev, MTMM, WG & now WORLD HIST
2014-2015
DD 16- World Hist, Chemistry, R&S Eng. 7, Saxon Adv Math
DD 15- World Hist, Bio, R&S Eng. 7, Saxon Adv Math
DD 13- MTMM/ext, finish R&S Eng. 6, Saxon Alg 1

my3sons

Re: RTR (for all my children!!!!!)

Post by my3sons » Fri Sep 10, 2010 6:09 pm

Ooooh, I loved hearing this! :D We are loving RTR so much too!!! :) My ds cannot put down "Peril and Peace" either. I have been known to be off in a corner reading it too. :wink: We just finished "Forbidden Gates". I'll never look at that event in the Bible the same again. It became very real to both of us, and we have been amazed at the faith of Stephen and those early Christians all over again in a new more personal way as we feel like we "know" him now. We picked to have me read a portion of Storytime and him read the other portion of it. So, I'm silent reading the parts I miss. :D I can't miss it, but I'm doing 2 other HOD guides and don't have the time to read it all out loud. I too feel relieved at the creative side of learning being done so well independently by my ds. I actually enjoy creative type things on my own very much - but not the teaching of it so much (and I used to try to take it over which my ds didn't love either). So, the history projects and other creative outlets planned in RTR are wonderful for both my ds and me! :D I bet "Beautiful Girlhood" is neat to do. We are really enjoying "Boyhood and Beyond" too. In fact I just got another copy from HOD for my dh to have his own book to read. I think it's that important. Anyway, hooray for your 3 sweeties lovin' RTR! :D :D :D

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

juliekay

Post by juliekay » Fri Sep 10, 2010 9:46 pm

Thank you for sharing April! My 3 oldest are also doing RtR and we are SO enjoying it! Carrie picks the BEST books! I just don't know what I am going to do when my children grow up and out of HOD! Who am I going to these books too! :lol: I too was a bit concerned for my 9 year-old, but with a little tweaking he really is doing more than what I was hoping he would do! They will rise to the challenge - right?!
Julie
2010-2011
ds 13 RTR plus
ds 12 RTR plus
ds 8 RTR
dd 5
ds 2
We loved using Bigger & Preparing

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Mon Sep 13, 2010 2:50 pm

April,

I am praising the Lord with you on your good start to RTR! :D My oldest son loved Peril and Peace very much last year, and Forbidden Gates truly changed the way I saw that time period in history. What an amazing time for the beginning of the early church! :D

Prior to writing our guides, I always struggled with getting any kind of project work done consistently. My oldest son happened to be kinesthetic, and so I was constantly looking for hands-on things he could truly do on his own that were meaningful! We've used so many of the projecty things out there. Most projects were expensive, time-consuming, and still often required my help. :wink: So, I can truly rejoice with you on the projects written in our guides. They were a labor of love to write! :D

Beautiful Girlhood is truly a wonderful book, so I'm thrilled it is suiting your daughter well. Boyhood and Beyond is much appreciated here as well. :D

Thanks for sharing! We pray you continue to enjoy your journey. :D

Blessings,
Carrie

Polly

Post by Polly » Mon Sep 13, 2010 3:32 pm

I have a question. Are you reading the actual biblical account from the Bible (redundant I know) while reading those books?

Thanks,

Polly

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Tue Sep 14, 2010 2:03 pm

Polly,

In CTC you read the actual Biblical accounts alongside the Old Testament and New Testament stories (along with reading all of Jonah, Ruth, Esther, Luke, John, and Acts and studying Genesis 1-11 in depth with the Bible study). :D Once we get to RTR we are actually past Christ being taken to heaven and are in the spread of the early church. So, in RTR we study all of Philippians, along with many other corresponding Bible passages, to address the suffering and persecution the Christians endured, along with the joy of living in Christ. When we get to the medieval time period and forward in RTR, we utilize parts of Peril and Peace and Monks and Mystics to continue our study of the spread of the Gospel and the growth of the early church. This focus continues on as we move into the Reformation era through Mystery of History. :D

Blessings,
Carrie

Polly

Post by Polly » Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:00 pm

Thanks, Carrie! We have loved our years with HOD! (We are missing it this year but I'm taking a break from it to do my own thing so I can teach my kiddos together in the future. It's going well! At the same time, we miss HOD). I am excited to continue with HOD next year. I love all your hard work!

Polly
Polly