Question about dates in Bigger

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
3xblessed

Question about dates in Bigger

Post by 3xblessed » Tue Sep 07, 2010 8:40 pm

This is our first year with HOD, and my kids are loving it! :D I had tried to homeschool my oldest dc in K and 1st, and everday was a struggle (tug of war). So we went a different route for her 2nd, and I am so glad to have her back home. I love seeing her excited about working at home. With all that being said, I do have a few family members that are not happy about our decision and they question my oldest when I'm not around. (which I will deal with in a loving, Christ-honoring way)

Sunday, they asked her what she was learning and she started naming all the men we have read about in history (Columbus, John Smith, etc..) One of the relatives was asking her dates (when were they born/die) and she couldn't answer; which was no surprise to me b/c we have been working more on content instead of dates. I guess my confidence is a little shaken; although I see that they are doing great for only 3-4 weeks of school. But should I be drilling dates into her; she's 8... or just let dates keep sinking in through the years b/c I'm sure she will hear this material again before she graduates.

Thanks!
Tiffany
Excited about 1st year with HOD.
HS'ing mom to:
DD (8) Bigger Hearts
DD (5) Little Hearts
DS (3) working on letters, shapes, etc

Happy2bMommyof3

Re: Question about dates in Bigger

Post by Happy2bMommyof3 » Wed Sep 08, 2010 5:39 am

Hi, I would kindly and politely let my "well-meaning" family members know that content is what's important. Your dd is learning history...what if she memorized the dates these historical figures lived and died, but didn't know what they did to become historical figures? In P.S. that's exactly what goes on. We all learned that "in fourteen hundred and ninety-two Columbus sailed the ocean blue". But do we remember being taught that Columbus founded Hispanolia which is now Haiti...or that he really wasn't the one who discovered North America, but that it was John Cabot..or that they were actually looking for Asia when they set out to sea? Your dd has already learned more about history...and remembers it...in 3 weeks, than I can tell you that I learned about history in the entire 3rd grade in PS. You and your husband are responsible to God for the choices you are making for your dds education, and the questions will continue to come from those who are "well-meaning" because the enemy doesn't like what you are doing. He'll always try to make you second guess and doubt! I have faced those questions from family members, and believe it or not...our pediatrician tried to quiz my dd when she was younger. My take is that if they have an issue with your education choice, they should discuss it with you...and you, armed with evidence and facts about the benefits of homeschooling (if you decide to spend time explaining it to them) can discuss it with them to ease their concerns. But, I have had to ask politely and kindly for the interrogations of the dc the end because all that does is confuse and make the dc feel self-conscious!

BTW, I think it's great that your dd is excited to share what she's learned...how many of us remember being asked at the dinner table "What did you learn in school today?" and we responding with the ole "I dunno"? HOD is wonderful!!
Heather
Wife to the most hardworking man I know,
Mother to three amazing gifts from the King...
Amelia -8 - BHFHG + DITHOR
Noah - 5 - Christian Liberty Press Kindergarten
Lily - 4 -Rod and Staff Pre-K

John'smom

Post by John'smom » Wed Sep 08, 2010 7:06 am

Also agreeing I would not try to "drill" the dates into your dd. Right now you're trying to establish a love for learning, not kill that love. I think it's inappropriate that they would be "testing" your dd when you weren't around. I think it's fine if they want to discuss what you're dd is learning, but not in the way it's being handled. Please don't doubt it's wonderful what your dd has remembered.

Also agreeing I learned more about Columbus since homeschooling than I ever did in school, but I had the date memorized. :roll: The same goes for many other historical figures like Abraham Lincoln and George Washington.

You're doing a great job. :D
Edwena
*Married to my best friend for 16 yrs
*Mom to ds (15), dd (13), dd #2(3)
*Combining my dc in WG (2017-2018)
*Completed and absolutely loved BLHFHG through MTMM

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Wed Sep 08, 2010 7:39 pm

All I learned in school were dates when it came to history. I knew them all, got straight "A's", and today I can't tell you a one. :oops: I'd let your dd just tell them, "I don't know, but I sure do love history" and change the subject. I just let our kids know we're very happy and proud of how they're doing in school, that we have different goals than some other families, and that they don't have to "impress" anyone (or be accountable to anyone) other than the Lord. When I learned about history being just about dates and numbers, it was dry and uninteresting to me. It came to life for me with the living books in HOD! I have even gotten the extension package of RTR to read (for me) just for fun! :D Don't sweat it over well-meaning, somewhat rude relatives. Time will be on your side. My relations weren't sure homeschooling would be rigorous enough at first... now they quiz my kids if they got enough days off. Just be confident in what you're doing - it's a very good thing. Good job, mom! We don't hear that enough, but I'm saying it for all the people that should be telling you. :wink:

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

Tree House Academy

Post by Tree House Academy » Wed Sep 08, 2010 7:48 pm

I wouldn't be drilling dates into her no matter if she is 8 or 15. I have never, in my life, other than on a test in high school, had to remember dates for history. Sure...know the time period (that is the reason for the timeline), but for an 8 year old to recite dates just out of the blue...Um, no. This is actually part of what I don't like about the classical style of learning...all the "memorization." Knowing that Columbus sailed the ocean blue back in 1492 is one thing...knowing when he was born and when he died is completely useless information IMHO.
~Rebecca~

ds13(8th) - Rev to Rev w/ TT Pre-Algebra, R&S English 6, CLE Reading 8, Rosetta Stone French
ds9 (4th) - Preparing Hearts, TT Math 4, R&S English 3, CLE Reading 4, & Writeshop Jr.

We have completed LHFHG, BLHFHG, Bigger, CTC, & RTR.

Tree House Academy

Post by Tree House Academy » Wed Sep 08, 2010 7:50 pm

my3sons wrote:All I learned in school were dates when it came to history. I knew them all, got straight "A's", and today I can't tell you a one. :oops: I'd let your dd just tell them, "I don't know, but I sure do love history" and change the subject. I just let our kids know we're very happy and proud of how they're doing in school, that we have different goals than some other families, and that they don't have to "impress" anyone (or be accountable to anyone) other than the Lord. When I learned about history being just about dates and numbers, it was dry and uninteresting to me. It came to life for me with the living books in HOD! I have even gotten the extension package of RTR to read (for me) just for fun! :D Don't sweat it over well-meaning, somewhat rude relatives. Time will be on your side. My relations weren't sure homeschooling would be rigorous enough at first... now they quiz my kids if they got enough days off. Just be confident in what you're doing - it's a very good thing. Good job, mom! We don't hear that enough, but I'm saying it for all the people that should be telling you. :wink:

In Christ,
Julie
I agree with Julie 100% in all that she said...from the straight A's to the rude relatives!
~Rebecca~

ds13(8th) - Rev to Rev w/ TT Pre-Algebra, R&S English 6, CLE Reading 8, Rosetta Stone French
ds9 (4th) - Preparing Hearts, TT Math 4, R&S English 3, CLE Reading 4, & Writeshop Jr.

We have completed LHFHG, BLHFHG, Bigger, CTC, & RTR.

3xblessed

Post by 3xblessed » Thu Sep 09, 2010 5:38 am

Ladies,

Thank you for confirming that I was doing the right thing. :) I felt like we were on the right track, but if I wasn't ~ now would've been a good time to change our approach. I know how I am personally, if I did not get your opinion, I would worry and stress (one of my weaknesses :oops: ) . So I do sincerely appreciate each of you encouraging me in what has been the best year I have had in homeschooling. I thank God that He allowed a friend tell me about HOD because I know this was the missing puzzle piece that works for our family!
Tiffany
Excited about 1st year with HOD.
HS'ing mom to:
DD (8) Bigger Hearts
DD (5) Little Hearts
DS (3) working on letters, shapes, etc

mommadonna

Post by mommadonna » Fri Sep 10, 2010 8:34 am

UGH!..The interogation happens to us too and sometimes by my other hsing friends! They, of all people, should know better. I suppose they just want to think that their kids know more?! I don't really get it. :roll:

Rest assured..you are surely doing a wonderful job! Your dd is enjoying learning! That is alot more than I could say for us before we found HOD!
Donna
ds7 Beyond
dd4 listening in, consuming workbooks, TRL and some of LHFHG
ds2 making us all laugh and eating erasers