When a child is used to reading through books quickly....

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Lynnw

When a child is used to reading through books quickly....

Post by Lynnw » Wed Sep 01, 2010 2:36 pm

I thought I would try to use DITHOR with my oldest. We have never used it before though I've had it for awhile. We made it to day 3 before he decided to sit down and read the rest of the book in one day (Carry on Mr. Bowditch). I know this *could* be considered an obedience issue.... but I think I lack the resolve to stop him when he's enjoying a good book. He will suffer the "natural" consequence of having to finish his other school work tonight when he would rather not. (This would be a good night to think of some wonderful reward for everyone else - ha!)

I think the bigger problem is that *I* lack the resolve to enforce the reading schedule. Maybe I should pick some "duds" for DITHOR so he doesn't want to read ahead? just kidding. Advice, encouragement welcome.... (Just remember the problem is more me than him!)
Married 19 years to Dh, Detective and Army Reservist: 1 tour in Iraq, 1 tour in Afghanistan
ds 12.5 (7th grade) RevtoRev
ds 9.5 (4th grade) Preparing

dd 8 (3rd grade) Beyond
ds 6 (K/1st grade) Beyond
dd 3

Tansy

Re: When a child is used to reading through books quickly....

Post by Tansy » Wed Sep 01, 2010 3:16 pm

I can only say when I borrowed this book from my sister to preview I stayed up all night reading it.. it was just so juicy and delicious I could not put it down :D

I love your "consequential" discipline. And go out to your local ice cream place tonight while he stays home!!! I love it! I know that some of DITHOR does have you asking your self what do you think will happen next and doing predictions when you get to these pages you can show him why Not reading it all at once is important.

ROFL you will not give him duds or twaddle *Phffffbbttt* :lol: :lol:

If he becomes a repeat offender you could shock him... buy a really beat up used paperback and cut it apart. only give him the pages he is to read.. I just love slightly odd disciplines. "Since you cannot stop your self from reading the whole book you only get pieces." Can you picture his face. *snicker* Only really badly beaten up, slightly chewed by dog, needs to be recycled books, should be treated this way!

You can do it MOM!
♪♫•*¨*•.¸❤¸.•*¨*•♪♫•*¨*•.¸❤¸.•*¨*•♪♫
Dyslexics of the world Untie!
Adoptive Mom to 2 girls
http://gardenforsara.blogspot.com/
♪♫•*¨*•.¸❤¸.•*¨*•♪♫•*¨*•.¸❤¸.•*¨*•♪♫

Lynnw

Post by Lynnw » Wed Sep 01, 2010 6:19 pm

Tansy,
Thanks for the advice and for laughing with me. I'm sorry to say we did not go out for ice cream tonight, LOL. And I made him do about half of his school work - I think that was even a little surprising to him. I decided to allow the other half to be done tomorrow because I had already planned for tomorrow to be less than a full day as they have piano lessons after lunch. But I have also thought that maybe I should have him write a paper about the book - I cannot think of anything he would rather not do than have to write!

As for the next book - I love your idea of tearing up a cheap paper back! I will definitely consider that! Another thought I had was using DITHOR for a family read aloud (i.e. Storytime? - but with DITHOR discussion and worksheets at appropriate level), and continue to allow him to tear through other books in his free time.

Thanks for confessing that you stayed up to read Mr. Bowditch - truthfully I did too.... which is probably one reason I didn't feel like stopping him today!!!!
Married 19 years to Dh, Detective and Army Reservist: 1 tour in Iraq, 1 tour in Afghanistan
ds 12.5 (7th grade) RevtoRev
ds 9.5 (4th grade) Preparing

dd 8 (3rd grade) Beyond
ds 6 (K/1st grade) Beyond
dd 3

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Wed Sep 01, 2010 8:36 pm

Maybe you could have him do 3 DITHOR books, 5 days a piece, and have them be longer books so he can still read quite a lot each day, but not race through them so much that there's not enough drawing out of the book for the development of the story to be discussed? That's just an idea, but the books are so awesome - why not enjoy them a little longer, at least 5 days? Maybe you can explain it that way to him. :lol: Plus, it's nice to keep the school day in balance and not be feeling like you have to alter the school routine on the next day to make up for the other school subjects missed. :wink: A love of books is a good thing though.

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie