Read most of Boyhood and Beyond last year....

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Lynnw

Read most of Boyhood and Beyond last year....

Post by Lynnw » Tue Aug 31, 2010 5:03 am

My oldest is doing RTR, but he's ~2/3 through Boyhood and Beyond because I had him reading it last year. I know he *could* re-read it, but I was also considering just having him pick it up from where he is and then finding something else to use the rest of the year? We might be inclined to re-read if I scheduled it early in the day, but by the end of the day ....well... we're both seeing the finish line and sprinting towards it, if you know what I mean :oops:

Any suggestions?
Married 19 years to Dh, Detective and Army Reservist: 1 tour in Iraq, 1 tour in Afghanistan
ds 12.5 (7th grade) RevtoRev
ds 9.5 (4th grade) Preparing

dd 8 (3rd grade) Beyond
ds 6 (K/1st grade) Beyond
dd 3

juliekay

Re: Read most of Boyhood and Beyond last year....

Post by juliekay » Tue Aug 31, 2010 10:15 am

My older 2 read this wonderful book too. I am having them read Created for Work by the same author. My 9 year old will read Boyhood and Beyond aloud. If the older 2 feel inclined to listen in again - as they love it when I read aloud - that will be just fine with me!
Julie
2010-2011
ds 13 RTR plus
ds 12 RTR plus
ds 8 RTR
dd 5
ds 2
We loved using Bigger & Preparing

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Wed Sep 01, 2010 5:28 pm

Lynn,

You may want to go through Boyhood and Beyond anyway to have your son do the copywork in the Common Place book of quotes and Scriptures each week and to have the great discussions that will come from the additional Scriptures we've noted in the plans to link with Boyhood and Beyond each week. :D

If you've already done much discussing of the book already, you could move on to Practical Happiness by the same author instead. We are considering using this book possibly in the final guide in the history cycle. Or, you could use Created for Work as juliekay suggested instead. :D

Blessings,
Carrie

Lynnw

Post by Lynnw » Wed Sep 01, 2010 6:51 pm

Thanks Carrie. I think you're right. I think the additional scriptures and discussions will be fruitful. When we did that yesterday I felt a little unsure about coming up with a plan for appreciating God's attributes through His creation (I'm not very good at thinking on my feet) .... and then I thought about some star gazing - which goes along perfectly with our science. God is good to supply our every need!
Married 19 years to Dh, Detective and Army Reservist: 1 tour in Iraq, 1 tour in Afghanistan
ds 12.5 (7th grade) RevtoRev
ds 9.5 (4th grade) Preparing

dd 8 (3rd grade) Beyond
ds 6 (K/1st grade) Beyond
dd 3

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Thu Sep 02, 2010 4:21 pm

I know what you mean Lynn! The lessons and Scriptures got me to thinking too and will force me out of my comfort zone to share my own personal connections too. :wink: We deliberately wrote the follow-up for Boyhood and Beyond that way so that it doesn't seem like the parent is sitting with a set of pat answers to the Biblical application, but instead really has to dig into his/her own life to find connections as well. In this way, it also seems like you're partnering more with your child during the lessons making it more of a discussion rather than a question and answer session.

I'm looking forward to going through this book and the lessons with our second son this year, as my husband did the lessons with our oldest! I loved reading Boyhood and Beyond, and as a mom I felt it gave me a much better understanding as to how boys think. Being raised in a houseful of girls, I know it was good for me to read! :D

Blessings,
Carrie

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Sun Sep 05, 2010 1:36 pm

This appreciation of our Creator through creation was a great way to start "Boyhood and Beyond". My dh is an avid outdoorsman, so it really resonated with my ds. I am actually getting an extra copy of "Boyhood and Beyond" for my dh to read too. I never ask him to do anything for homeschooling, but I did ask if he'd be willing to read that book at his own pace as time allows. I am hoping it sparks some discussions between them. I got all teary-eyed because after we went to the state fair this weekend and my dh showed the boys all of his old 4-H type things with animals that he did (livestock showing, etc.), my ds said on the way home in front of my dh, "Mom, that was just like that book we read in school. You know, reading God's "book" by seeing His creation. That's what we just did by looking at all of those animals!" I told my dh that was the book I was wanting him to read. He didn't say much, but I think a seed was planted. God is so good! :D I just wanted to say maybe having your dh be a part of it somehow would be special too - though I have yet to see how that really goes here. :wink: Either way, the discussions with you and the copywork are sure to make it more interactive, memorable, and special. :)

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie