Any ideas about Labor Day and not losing a day?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Lynnw

Any ideas about Labor Day and not losing a day?

Post by Lynnw » Mon Aug 30, 2010 5:02 pm

For those of us in guides with 5 days/week... are you planning to do school on Labor Day? I know one of the great things about HOD is that it's okay to get "off" a day, but I was hoping not to get "off" so soon. Any suggestions about how to handle the week of Labor Day?

Thanks!
Lynn
Married 19 years to Dh, Detective and Army Reservist: 1 tour in Iraq, 1 tour in Afghanistan
ds 12.5 (7th grade) RevtoRev
ds 9.5 (4th grade) Preparing

dd 8 (3rd grade) Beyond
ds 6 (K/1st grade) Beyond
dd 3

MistyP

Re: Any ideas about Labor Day and not losing a day?

Post by MistyP » Mon Aug 30, 2010 5:50 pm

We are traveling to a reunion that weekend so we will loose Friday and Monday. We are doing Beyond this year; did LHFHG last year. What I have done (not saying it is the right way to do it!!) Is double up on some of the things during the week to make up for it; read 2 days of History on one day; do an extra page of math on a couple of days, etc. It really didn't seem to add much extra time to our school day.....
Misty
Mommy to 6!

Lynnw

Post by Lynnw » Mon Aug 30, 2010 7:07 pm

Thanks Misty. I thought about doubling up, but our day is pretty full.... I'm not sure I could do it.

I did read the other thread "missed a day... don't want to skip anything..." and that was really helpful and comforting about being off. I forgot my LHFHG kiddos will get off anyway because my 5yo will go to BSF one morning a week with my Mom. My RTR guy only needs 4 days anyway.... so I could try to double up with my ds in Bigger, or I could just let us be off a day.

My suggestion to anyone else pondering the holiday is to read the other related thread. It was really helpful.
Married 19 years to Dh, Detective and Army Reservist: 1 tour in Iraq, 1 tour in Afghanistan
ds 12.5 (7th grade) RevtoRev
ds 9.5 (4th grade) Preparing

dd 8 (3rd grade) Beyond
ds 6 (K/1st grade) Beyond
dd 3

GinainMD

Post by GinainMD » Tue Aug 31, 2010 7:36 am

For Labor Day week we are going to school Tuesday through Saturday. This is not ideal because Daddy is often home on Saturday :mrgreen: but it will have to work for Labor Day week. Blessings
Gina
married to dh 2000
dd 12/01 Bigger
dd 08/03 Bigger
dd 03/07 LHTH
dd 06/08 LHTH