I missed a day, but I don't want to skip anything!

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
MelInKansas

I missed a day, but I don't want to skip anything!

Post by MelInKansas » Sat Aug 28, 2010 10:05 pm

Maybe we'll do Saturday School! Actually my kids and DH would be thrilled.

My mom called on Friday and she wanted to meet us and take the kids for the night. I couldn't say no, so we ditched school for that day (I love homeschooling!) But now we're behind and next Thursday is also scheduled to be an off-school day because I am watching a friend's kids.

It bothers me to not be doing the weeks within a week. I had planned a double reading day on Wednesday to catch us up, forgetting that Thursday would be off. And then Labor Day might be off too and we might take a road trip to a really nice zoo as a family.

When you have a day off (planned or unplanned) do you double up to make up? I'm doing LHFHG. Or do you just keep going day by day and get back on track during holidays or some other time with days off?

Thanks.
Melissa
"The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases
His mercies never come to an end"

DD12 - Rev to Rev + DITHOR 6/7/8
DD10 - CTC + DITHOR 2/3
DD7 - Bigger + ERs
DS5 - LHFHG
DD2 - ABC123
2 babies in heaven

Tansy

Re: I missed a day, but I don't want to skip anything!

Post by Tansy » Sat Aug 28, 2010 10:57 pm

Ok I'm the same way I Sooooooo wanting to be day 1 monday my advice is relax... Don't do it just pick up where you left off! Life will happen it will get in the way! And I can attest to the fact you can do day 5 on a Monday and Day 3 on a Friday the world still will spin around the sun. I know it feels weird but it will still work! I used to do school on Saturdays and double up etc... Now we just Double up because Lauren is getting out of school 4 days before she will finnish and I must must finish when Lauren does Mom or I'll be miserable Please let me please...

Don't get so far off track you have to use up vacation days :-) But it is ok to just pick up where you left off.
Huggles,
Sara
♪♫•*¨*•.¸❤¸.•*¨*•♪♫•*¨*•.¸❤¸.•*¨*•♪♫
Dyslexics of the world Untie!
Adoptive Mom to 2 girls
http://gardenforsara.blogspot.com/
♪♫•*¨*•.¸❤¸.•*¨*•♪♫•*¨*•.¸❤¸.•*¨*•♪♫

countrymom

Post by countrymom » Sun Aug 29, 2010 5:42 am

The beauty of HOD is you do not need to be on a certain day of the week and that will cause you undo stress. I have rarely had the days correct, and it really doesn't matter. I would not double up, just do the day the next day. Once you get used to it you will be fine. :)
Countrymom
Wife to J
Big J - LHFHG, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, R2R, Rev to Rev, Modern Missions, beginning parts of World Geography
Little J - LHTH, LHFHG, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, working in CTC

gotpeace91

Post by gotpeace91 » Sun Aug 29, 2010 7:07 am

I agree with Sara. It used to bother me at the beginning of last year when the days were off but after awhile I realized it really doesn't matter. :) But just be careful not to skip so much you go longer than you wanted at the end of school. Figure up how many weeks you have till your "end of school" date and how many weeks of HOD you have left and whenever you skip a day make a note of it so you can keep track.
~Leah
Wife to the Man I Love since 1994
DS 15 Missions to Modern Marvels
DD 14 Resurrection to Reformation

gotpeace91

Post by gotpeace91 » Sun Aug 29, 2010 7:16 am

Julie if you see this, what do you do when you miss a day, or one of your kids is sick for a few days? I know you're a schedule girl. :) Do you have leeway built in somehow? How do you work it so you still end school when you wanted? I love the higher manuals because they have 4 day units. That makes it easy to catch up if you miss a day or two. :)
~Leah

krismoose

Post by krismoose » Sun Aug 29, 2010 8:24 am

Just pick up where you left off...the activities work together so well and build on one another. Doing LHFHG with a 5yo has some leeway built in, IMO, because you really don't want to get too far in (esp. Bigger & Preparing) before your dc is ready. Have fun :D
Kristen
Loved LHTH & LHFHG :)
DS8 (2nd) WWE1, HOD dictation, Sequential Spelling, SM 2B, VP OT/AE & SOTW1 history, Song School Latin, Getting Started With Spanish
DD6 (K) Saxon Math 1, VP Phonics Museum K
DD3 cutting, gluing, more cutting :D

jer2911mom

Post by jer2911mom » Sun Aug 29, 2010 1:38 pm

Hi, we are finishing up Week 5 of LHFHG and we are not on the "Day 1 on Monday" schedule due to some appointments and bedrest I had at the beginning of school. It has flowed very smoothly to just do the next day, regardless of what day of the week it is. In fact, one positive is that my daughter has to remember her bible verse through the weekend and into the next week, so it really sticks with her, same with the Rhymes in Motion. She enjoys getting to learn a new one mid-week and have new music. I realized that with so many holidays, vacation days, etc., thrown into the mix, it would be very hard to stay on a Monday - Friday, Day 1 - Day 5 kind of schedule and that I needed to just forget about trying to do that. At some point we may end up on it as we have more days off. Hope this helps!

Kathy

StillJulie

Post by StillJulie » Sun Aug 29, 2010 4:48 pm

We stick with M-F weeks. It's just the way I want to do it.

If needed (though it's rare), we double up.

I think you just need to go with what works for you/your family.
16yo DD using US History 1 for 11th grade
14yo DS using World Geography for 9th grade
13yo DS using Rev to Rev for 7th grade
10yo DD using Creation to Christ for 5th grade
8yo DD using Bigger for 3rd grade
7yo DD using Beyond Hearts for 2nd grade

water2wine

Post by water2wine » Sun Aug 29, 2010 6:53 pm

It's not hard to double up if you want and that matter to you certainly you can get back to Monday being day 1. I really wanted it to be that way myself. Soon that was thrown off several times and I just let that go. I found the program really still flows even if you split a unit between two different weeks. Completely whatever makes you feel comfortable but just wanted to let you know it will flow either way. :D If you wanted to double up you might try splitting your extra day over two days so it will not be too much for you. Enjoy LHFHG! It is such a wonderful program. :D
All your children shall be taught by the LORD, and great shall be the peace of your children. Isaiah 54:13
~Six lovies from God~4 by blessing of adoption
-MTMM (HS), Rev to Rev, CTC, DITHR
We LOVED LHFHG/Beyond/Bigger/Preparing/CTC/RTR/Rev to Rev (HS)

psreit

Post by psreit » Sun Aug 29, 2010 7:37 pm

Tomorrow (Monday) we will be on Unit 4, Day 3 in LHFHG. There is no way I could always keep the units within a week. And, I will not double up. That is why I started early, to give leeway for days we need off. I personally think that doubling up takes away some of the CM flavor. For my dd, the 'little bites' are great. If I had her double up, I don't think it would allow her to really learn some of the material. The only thing that I will try to do when we have a weekend in the middle of a unit is to go over the Scripture verse to keep her from forgetting what she has already memorized. Then she will be able to say it on day 5. Over Thanksgiving and Christmas, I probably will not take full weeks off like the schools do, but otherwise we just take days off for co-op, trips, holidays, etc. and then pick up the next day. We should still get done in the spring in good time.
I have no greater joy than to hear that my children walk in truth. III John 4
Pam
dh 33 yrs
ds29 church planter in MA
dd27 SAH mom
dd26
dd 12
3 dgs(5,2, & born 6/15) & 2 dgd(3 & born 2/15)

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Mon Aug 30, 2010 9:53 am

gotpeace91 wrote:Julie if you see this, what do you do when you miss a day, or one of your kids is sick for a few days? I know you're a schedule girl. :) Do you have leeway built in somehow? How do you work it so you still end school when you wanted? I love the higher manuals because they have 4 day units. That makes it easy to catch up if you miss a day or two. :)
You know me too well. :lol: I used to try to do Day 1 on Monday, Day 2 on Tuesday, etc., but that quickly fell apart. So, what I do instead is plan my school year with the calendar in hand, noting the times we'll for sure be taking off from school (noted with *), and making sure to build in extra make-up days. Here's my tentative schedule this year:

HTH!
In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

girlboygirlboy

Post by girlboygirlboy » Mon Aug 30, 2010 3:42 pm

Thx for asking this question as I had the same one last week. I did my own thing, but really like hearing what others do. Last week we had some doctors appts that interfered with finishing "everything" in Bigger - and it was only our first week! So what I did was double up on certain subjects on the days we were home so it didn't feel like we were cramming two days into one(ex. one day I read 2 chapters of Storytime instead of one; one day we did 2 pages of Cursive; etc), one day I skipped Dithor, I did end up skipping the art(though I plan to do it this week when the paints are out again:), etc. but in the end we finished the week. Labor Day dh will be off so we will probably get off again, but I'm hoping not too much.

Blessings!
Jennifer
mom to girl11(cs), boy10(Bigger), girl8(Bigger), boy5(LHFHG)
http://www.chroniclesofgrace.wordpress.com

gotpeace91

Post by gotpeace91 » Mon Aug 30, 2010 5:32 pm

my3sons wrote:You know me too well. :lol:
lol It takes one to know one. :lol: Here's mine:

Thanks for posting yours, Julie. :)
~Leah

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Tue Aug 31, 2010 12:59 pm

Oh Leah, that is too funny! :lol: Yep, I'm a born list maker. It keeps me sane! :wink: Yours looks awesome! :D
In Christ,
Julie

MelInKansas

Post by MelInKansas » Tue Aug 31, 2010 4:21 pm

Thanks for the input and schedules and everything. I did look at when we'd be finishing. I said "well I want to take off the whole week of Thanksgiving, and probably 1 more week worth of days before then, so how many weeks of the guide will I get through if I do that." So I thought it through to that degree, but then didn't factor in that taking off those days puts you off the Day 1 - Day 5 schedule. Thanks for reassuring me that it works fine not to. I was having a big thing for them saying their verses at the end of each week for Dad, but I guess we can do that any day of the week.
Melissa
"The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases
His mercies never come to an end"

DD12 - Rev to Rev + DITHOR 6/7/8
DD10 - CTC + DITHOR 2/3
DD7 - Bigger + ERs
DS5 - LHFHG
DD2 - ABC123
2 babies in heaven