Question about cursive

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
gmhaynes

Question about cursive

Post by gmhaynes » Sat Aug 28, 2010 6:19 pm

I have been talking to other parents and wondering what everyone's thoughts were about teaching cursive. I am hearing from others that they don't think it is as important as it used to be because of the ease of typing things on a computer. My initial thought was that it helps you to write faster than manuscript, however I have to agree that I don't use it all that much in my adult life.

Any thoughts?

Mary
Wife to Guy for 13 years
dd9 in Preparing
ds7 in Beyond
ds5 in LHFHG
ds3 starting LHTH
Deut 6:4-9

3xblessed

Re: Question about cursive

Post by 3xblessed » Sat Aug 28, 2010 9:26 pm

Mary,

Just wanted to share my thoughts... I've started cursive with my 3rd grade DD this year. When I met Carrie at the conference, I expressed my concerns about starting cursive because I felt like she still needed to work on printing a little more. Carrie's adivice was that she may do better with cursive because of her personality and how she likes art, etc. Carrie was right! There is no argument over doing her handwriting this year :D Some people (like my mom) use cursive all the time; so I'm wandering if my child will like this so much she just writes in cursive all the time.... My mom told me tonight that my DD wrote a her a note in cursive. So I would suggest letting your child learn cursive also.

Hope that helps,
Tiffany
Tiffany
Excited about 1st year with HOD.
HS'ing mom to:
DD (8) Bigger Hearts
DD (5) Little Hearts
DS (3) working on letters, shapes, etc

gotpeace91

Post by gotpeace91 » Sat Aug 28, 2010 9:37 pm

Whenever I want to write something fast I always use cursive because it just seems to be faster. I think cursive is prettier than print too. Water2wine made a point in an earlier thread that I thought was valid. What if dc's future boss prefers to write in cursive? I also really like reading old letters or postcards that I find occasionally. They may wish they knew how to write cursive later on as an adult, but life tends to get in the way and we don't always go back and learn things that we would like to. As you can see my vote is for cursive. :lol: But that is just my opinion and you will know what is best for your family. :)
~Leah
Wife to the Man I Love since 1994
DS 15 Missions to Modern Marvels
DD 14 Resurrection to Reformation

StillJulie

Post by StillJulie » Sun Aug 29, 2010 4:50 pm

We consider it to be worth learning, and Cheerful Cursive sure is a fun way for kids to learn it. My 8yo boy is really enjoying it.
16yo DD using US History 1 for 11th grade
14yo DS using World Geography for 9th grade
13yo DS using Rev to Rev for 7th grade
10yo DD using Creation to Christ for 5th grade
8yo DD using Bigger for 3rd grade
7yo DD using Beyond Hearts for 2nd grade

Marcee

Post by Marcee » Sun Aug 29, 2010 8:17 pm

From what I've seen, the cursive they teach children now a days isn't like the fancy cursive from years ago. It corrects letter mistakes for some children since they will be connecting the letters. I know a lot of ps start teaching cursive in 3rd grade. Most children develop their own handwriting by 5th grade and cursive can help them have nice handwriting instead of chicken scratches.

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Mon Aug 30, 2010 9:36 am

I think it's important to teach at least one formal year of cursive. :D I really like the way HOD addresses cursive. In BHFHG, there is one formal year of cursive (either "Cheerful Cursive" or "Italic", or a formal cursive program of your choice). Then in PHFHG, some things are assigned to be done in cursive (i.e copywork, Common Place book entries, etc.), while other work is discretionary for the student (mine chose to print most the time for the other work). In CTC, one more year of some assigned, some discretionary. In RTR, all discretionary. I think this teaches some important things. First, dc do learn to read cursive, which is actually (IMO) almost more important than learning to write it. Second, dc learn to sign their names in cursive. Third, dc learn cursive and manuscript, and can then choose which they prefer, as usually a preference is made known by then. My ds has neat cursive, but prefers manuscript. Now that he's in RTR, I'll let him choose, and I'm sure he'll choose manuscript a good portion or all of the time. He can sign his checks with his name in cursive. He's able to read cursive with ease. I'm very happy with this progression! I think it makes sense. I will give kuddos to "Cheerful Cursive". Having taught cursive for 7 years in ps with a variety or programs prior to homeschooling, "Cheerful Cursive" is by far my favorite way to teach it with the best results. :D

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

frankesense

Post by frankesense » Mon Aug 30, 2010 6:40 pm

I, too, think that it's still good to learn cursive, especially for the sake of them being able to read it themselves. I am teaching two boys, ages 8 &9, with Cheerful Cursive and it is their favorite thing in school right now. Cheerful Cursive has made it fun for them to learn to read and write "fancy", as my son says.
Wife to the most awesome man for 18 years
Mother to ds - 15 yrs. and dd - 13 yrs.
using World Geography

gmhaynes

Post by gmhaynes » Sat Sep 04, 2010 7:57 pm

Ladies,
Thank you so much for the responses! I love reading cursive just because it's so much prettier than manuscript. I think I was really looking for some encouragement and maybe some "ammunition" when it comes up again. Not having taught it before I didn't really understand the benefits. You all brought up great points! I have to say I love this discussion board! There is so much encouragement that goes on. I don't see how people do this alone.

Thanks again!

Mary
Wife to Guy for 13 years
dd9 in Preparing
ds7 in Beyond
ds5 in LHFHG
ds3 starting LHTH
Deut 6:4-9