confused on the IEW (Medieval Writing Lessons) symbols

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
inhisgrip

confused on the IEW (Medieval Writing Lessons) symbols

Post by inhisgrip » Sat Aug 28, 2010 10:52 am

I'm a bit confused on the Sample Key Word Outline for the first lesson. I mean I *get* it, but this is ABSOLUTELY new to me. I don't remember making outlines like this. Am I supposed to *know* this stuff or do I just wing it? :o
Christine Salinas
Helpmeet to Pete for 14 years, Homeschooling our 5 blessings with one on the way in December!

Carrie
Site Admin

Re: confused on the IEW (Medieval Writing Lessons) symbols

Post by Carrie » Tue Aug 31, 2010 11:35 am

Christine,

Don't worry about using symbols. It's just an example to show how you can get more meaning in the outline with fewer words. There's no need to use any symbols. :D My oldest son had used some of IEW's other courses prior to using this one, and he still didn't enjoy the symbols and did his outlines without them. They aren't a necessary component.

Blessings,
Carrie

juliekay

Post by juliekay » Tue Aug 31, 2010 7:06 pm

Christine,

I think the idea of this is to keep their outline to as few words as possible and make it sort of a game. Keep it to 3 words, symbols and numbers are "free"... This helps them to keep things simple and writing minimal as they will be doing the "real" writing in their report or paper or paragraph.... This has worked really well for my boys! For some reason drawing symbols doesn't count as writing, but outlines are certainly necessary in the writing process! Hope you are enjoying RtR as much as we are!
Julie
2010-2011
ds 13 RTR plus
ds 12 RTR plus
ds 8 RTR
dd 5
ds 2
We loved using Bigger & Preparing

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Wed Sep 01, 2010 7:53 pm

I look at the symbols as a way to put down more than 3 words, so more detailed notes can be taken without writing more words. I think the symbols can be whatever the dc want to use and can remember. For example, when a word is preceded by "not" or "no", my ds writes the word and puts a light line through it, like a strikethrough. For example, for "These were not glorious days", he might write "glorious" and put a line through it and draw a sun for "days". He's always made the sun motion for days as an action for fingerplays or memorization of Scripture, so the "sun" symbol makes sense to him for "days". This symbol for other dc may just confuse them. I imagine some dc really take to the symbols, and others not as much. The example answer key given in the teacher's guide was helpful to me in seeing some practical ways symbols could be used. That may be helpful to show your child, not as the one and only acceptable answer, but more just as a way that symbols can be used to take quick notes without writing out entire words. My ds and I are only on the third lesson of Medieval History-based Writing Lessons, but he's enjoying it. Whether your child utilizes a lot of the symbols in the note taking or not, I think they can do well with the program. HTH! :D

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie