Does anyone else have a child/children with LD's

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
yayadaisy

Does anyone else have a child/children with LD's

Post by yayadaisy » Sun Mar 16, 2008 7:38 am

My oldest has a LD in writing and reading and also ADHD. He is 8 now and I am planning on doing beyond with him soon. He will be 9 about half way through. He is still not reading well at all. I need to be by him the whole time and spelling is very hard for him. Any idea's for reading? My 4 yr. old has a developmental delay and I am planning on doing LHTH with him and my two year old. But the school will pay for him to have special ed at a preschool this year. I am woundering if that will be a better choice for him. HE is very shy and I wounder if the interaction would be good for him? Any thoughts would be great!!

Sheila
Mom to:
DD 8
DH 6
DD 4
DD 2
DD 11 months

joyfulheart

Post by joyfulheart » Sun Mar 16, 2008 8:08 am

8 year old-- My son has LD's in reading writing and math. First, it's important that they read, read, read! Don't worry about comprehension, just read read read. For comprehension, read to him and or do lots of books on tape. (this is accommodations that are necessary, so don't worry about it)

Reading reading reading will improve his vocabulary and spelling. Also, teach vocabulary in a way that makes sense to him. I'm assuming he's a right brained learner? Right brained learners learn visually and by experiences, they also learn as a WHOLE first, then learn the little details. Keeping that in mind, teach them the word with a definition, then teach him to spell it. That's what makes sense to many LD kids.

He needs phonics effective for his LD's. I highly recommend EXPLODE THE CODE. It's very effective, simple to use and AFFORDABLE (under $8 a book)! Start at level 1, let him go through it. At the end of hte book, there's a simple test. If he struggles, go to book 1B. If he doesn't, move to level 2. It really makes a difference and only takes a few minutes a day. (we try to limit it to 5 minutes a day)

I just looked and it seems that you can buy a phonics program called Reading Lesson that corresponds with Beyond. I have heard great things about this program, but have never seen it personally so cannot say much. Either way, it is critical to keep a phonics program going, it does make a huge difference.

Edited to add-- I also highly recommend EAROBICS. It's a great program that teaches kids to break down the sounds of words to spell them. It's $60 new, but I found a used copy on a homeschooler forum used for $15, or even Ebay. It's very very good! It's designed for kids with Auditory Processing Disorder, but many schools use it on all LD kids, to teach them how to break down sounds of words and build them back together. And it's great for my 8 year old.

For the 4 year old. I would ask WHAT type of special ed intervention they are doing. Is it going to adress his social skills (shy)? What would his goals be for education? What type of skills will they be working on?

There's alot of factors for the preschooler, I think you need to address it. But social is important, so that might be worth it for just that aspect.

silly

Post by silly » Sun Mar 16, 2008 11:07 am

My brother had LD in reading and math, and I agree with the read, read, read. He would refuse to read because he was so embarassed at how far behind he was compared to the rest of his class, so he just wouldn't do it. Until, he decided he wanted to read Joshua in the Bible (his name is Joshua). He struggled through it, but he did it, and it was such an accomplishment that he began reading a lot, and what an improvement! By the time he finished High School, he was still technically behind, but not having as many struggles keeping up and is now in school training to be computer tech.

As a homeschooler, you have a bit of an advantage with not having a classroom of kids for him to compare himself to and perpetually feel "behind". My brother's biggest problem is that he was not taught phonics in kindergarten, because that school had a certain style, but then we moved when he went into the first grade, and from there it was just a downward spiral.
Sasha; mama to
Erik (5) LHTH
Jacob (4) LHTH
Lucas (2)

http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/jahayfamilyschool/

MamaMary

Post by MamaMary » Sun Mar 16, 2008 1:56 pm

Hi Sheila, (((Waving from Sunny Florida)))

First of all, WELCOME! It's so nice to "meet" you. I look forward to getting to know you better. (warm smile :) )

Secondly, It has been such an honor to homeschool my children over the past ten years. I have 4 boys all with different gifts and talents. Three of my boys have significant Auditory Processing issue's and one of them has mild autism. Then I have another child that has no learning differences whatsoever.

We have never felt led to use the school system as a resource in our home. There were many factors, but the biggest one is that the Lord never gave us the peace to do so. (He leads each family differently :D )

Personally, I think homeschooling is the best place for our children, even the shy ones. Homeschooling will give your children time to get comfortable and secure with who "they" are and within their own family. As they get older there will be many socialization opportunities available to help them learn valuable people skills. (church, park days, co-op's, etc)

Sheila, I totally understand your questions and concerns. I have had them myself. With time, I no longer do, but for years I always wondered and considered different options(((Warm Understanding Hug)))

As far as how to work on reading? Is your son still working on phonics or is he into de-coding words, but just not comprehending yet?

Phonics..., I highly recommend www.headsprout.com

If your son is de-coding (reading basic words very slowly and phonetically without any comprehension) I would order the "Emerging Reader Set" from Heart of Dakota. This will give him practice and Carrie includes the questions to help them start to comprehend what they are reading. With LD children this will be a learned skill. You may have to ask the questions and even answer them out loud to model the behavior for them.

Spelling...,

Carrie's suggestions are PERFECT. Make sure you use black marker on white cards because the brain takes a better picture this way.

Heart of Dakota...,

HOD is truly a perfect program no matter what type of learner you have as it pulls in all of the different learning styles, "Visual", Kinesthetic, Auditory.

God Bless you,
Mary
Mary, Mama to 4 amazing sons and wife to one incredible husband! Come check us out on the blog: http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/MamaMary/

water2wine

Post by water2wine » Sun Mar 16, 2008 2:01 pm

Hi Sheila. I have a dd with cerebral palsy. She has a moderate case. She is 10 reading on 1st grade level. She is language delayed in all areas. It is not the same kind of special needs as you are talking about in that she has pathways that simply do not work so we have to find alternate routes. She was adopted so received no therapy of any kind until she was almost three years old.

I guess let me give you the advice that I would give myself if I could go back in time. I would get the medical diagnosis and all the evaluations that you need to do to get insurance to pay. Then I would do nothing but private Speech and OT if they need it. I would not even mess around with anything the ps has to offer or anything in a school setting. My biggest mistake was I was worried I could not do as good a job because I am not a trained professional but the one on one time out weighs all that in my experience. So we have found homeschooling is the best for us. In fact he special ed teacher even told me on the side that hsing is the best way to go with special ed.

For the one that is younger I think doing LHTH is a great idea and I would just really work on getting those letter sounds and beginning phonics. The Leap Frog Letter factory DVD (and all those in the series)is a great thing to watch. For phonics later on with the younger one and now with the older The Reading Lesson is a great program. And the Emerging reading books are great too. My dd is doing the Emerging reading a little faster than planned and The Reading Lesson as well. I think these programs are really very good. I am not sure how ADHD works as far as what you need to do to teach them as far as if it need to be small lessons often or what. Hopefully someone else would speak to that. But my guess is that The Reading Lesson would be actually ideal for ADHD. I have also found teaching all the phonograms really helps in the spelling dept. What also has helped is copy work of things on the high end of her reading level.

That is about all I know to tell you. :D Hope it helps a little.
All your children shall be taught by the LORD, and great shall be the peace of your children. Isaiah 54:13
~Six lovies from God~4 by blessing of adoption
-MTMM (HS), Rev to Rev, CTC, DITHR
We LOVED LHFHG/Beyond/Bigger/Preparing/CTC/RTR/Rev to Rev (HS)

yayadaisy

Post by yayadaisy » Mon Mar 17, 2008 11:51 am

Thank you all for the input it has helped me a lot. I have friends who homeschool, but none of them have children with LD's. It is nice to have a place I can go and ask question and hear words of encourgement.

Sheila mom of five kids

water2wine

Post by water2wine » Mon Mar 17, 2008 1:21 pm

Sheila,

You are going to find a lot of moms that homeschool special needs children and children with LDs. It is more common than you think. It is very hard to get children taught in the ps system with LDs. They do not have the time in the class so they miss it there and then when they are pulled out in special ed they are one of many. It's very frustrating to try to make it work within the ps system. So there are many of us that have learned hsing is the best we can do for our kids. 8)
All your children shall be taught by the LORD, and great shall be the peace of your children. Isaiah 54:13
~Six lovies from God~4 by blessing of adoption
-MTMM (HS), Rev to Rev, CTC, DITHR
We LOVED LHFHG/Beyond/Bigger/Preparing/CTC/RTR/Rev to Rev (HS)

Allison TX

Post by Allison TX » Mon Mar 17, 2008 3:09 pm

Hi Sheila. I have two boys ages 8 and 9, and a 5 year old girl. The 9 year old has adhd and is mildly dyslexic. The 8 year old has add, mild dyslexia, and mild auditory processing. I sympathize with you. I often feel that I am the only one who is homeschooling kids with LD's. But then I come to all the hs boards and realize that I am not alone and lots of other people are in the same boat as me. :) I think you'll get lots of support from this board. :)

Mary,
I really appreciated your comment about shyness ....

(Personally, I think homeschooling is the best place for our children, even the shy ones. Homeschooling will give your children time to get comfortable and secure with who "they" are and within their own family. As they get older there will be many socialization opportunities available to help them learn valuable people skills. (church, park days, co-op's, etc))

My 5 year old is extremely shy and I have often second guessed my homeschoolong choice for her. I keep reminding myself that this is what the Lord called me to do and He will make sure she is fine socially. Your comments are reassuring me that I am doing what is best for her! :) Thanks!

Allison

MamaMary

Post by MamaMary » Mon Mar 17, 2008 8:03 pm

Allison TX wrote: My 5 year old is extremely shy and I have often second guessed my homeschoolong choice for her. I keep reminding myself that this is what the Lord called me to do and He will make sure she is fine socially. Your comments are reassuring me that I am doing what is best for her! :) Thanks!

Allison
Allison,

I understand. I really believe that one of the biggest blessings I took away from this experience has been how it has gotten me to God. How many times did I let fear in? My prayer nowadays is, "Lord, will you show me when I am listening to any voice besides yours"?

Bless you :D
Mary, Mama to 4 amazing sons and wife to one incredible husband! Come check us out on the blog: http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/MamaMary/

Tansy

Post by Tansy » Mon Mar 17, 2008 8:50 pm

Mu dd had/has a development delay we did early intervention till she would have ended up in PS. We quit... then moved. Even tho PS would have paid for it we chose to use private. We used Easter Seals & our insurance picked up a part of it. After that is was only 43$ a month for us. It was very affordable they use a sliding scale dependent on income. Easter Seals taught me what to do with my child for the week then I went home and did it. Worked great!

Even in our Missionary Fish Bowl (cause were missonaries working in the home office) where 95% of the kids are homeschooled they still did pick on her about her speech delays ect.. (at least a word in moms ear stopped it.) I did have her in a group setting when she was 3 for occupational therapy. The other kids traumatized her as much as the OT helped her.

I keep reminding myself and maybe this will help you too... a one year development delay will not be noticeable when she is 23...
♪♫•*¨*•.¸❤¸.•*¨*•♪♫•*¨*•.¸❤¸.•*¨*•♪♫
Dyslexics of the world Untie!
Adoptive Mom to 2 girls
http://gardenforsara.blogspot.com/
♪♫•*¨*•.¸❤¸.•*¨*•♪♫•*¨*•.¸❤¸.•*¨*•♪♫