?'s about the Emerging Readers schedule

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
1GirlTwinBoys

?'s about the Emerging Readers schedule

Post by 1GirlTwinBoys » Sat Aug 21, 2010 8:52 pm

How does this work? I'm assuming the schedule gives you a certain number of pages to have the child read? Is there a list of questions to ask afterwards? If so, are there possible answers listed? Just trying to get an idea of how the schedule works. :)
Daughter~ 7 (2nd grade)
Twin Boys~ 6 (1st grade)

twoxcell

Re: ?'s about the Emerging Readers schedule

Post by twoxcell » Sat Aug 21, 2010 9:57 pm

Basically it has the order the books are read, what pages to read each day of every unit, and questions for each daily reading. The idea for the emergent reader is to read aloud to you, so no need for possible answers kwim.
ds 12 RevtoRev
dd 9 Preparing
dd 7 Beyond
ds 5 Little Hearts
dd due September 20th

my3sons

Re: ?'s about the Emerging Readers schedule

Post by my3sons » Sun Aug 22, 2010 1:08 pm

Ditto to pp, and I'll add that the questions are carefully chosen and based on Bloom's Taxonomy. We found it important to do the bite-sized readings scheduled, rather than read ahead or go more quickly (though both of our ds's could have done that), as the questions build upon one another and lead dc to beginning narration skills (which require "sitting" with a book for awhile for true success). I've done the ERS twice now with 2 pretty different kiddos, and it's always been fun. Something about teaching our own dc to read - it's a privilege. :D

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie