?? about Little Hearts

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
twoxcell

?? about Little Hearts

Post by twoxcell » Sat Aug 21, 2010 11:05 am

We started our school year 6 weeks ago, and I was trying to combine my ds 7 and dd 4.75 in Beyond. I decided it just wasn't gonna work for dd, so I've been rounding up the books I needed for Little Hearts. I already owned the main history and science books, and I was able to get the storytime, bible, and guide this week. I also bought Reading made easy from Ebay yesterday, and I hope dd likes it better than Phonics Pathways. What I'm wondering is how important are the rod and staff workbooks? She is already using HWT for handwriting and I have some little workbooks around, or I could go get something like that from WalMart. For math I started her on Singapore 1a, and she did it with me for about 4 weeks, but I decided to put it away until next year. I already have Singapore earlybird 2b, but not 2a. I was thinking of just doing the hands on stuff and printing some worksheets off the internet, and continuing with MEP y1 for now and then doing 2b when we get to it. What do you think? Also any other ideas of how to make it fun for dd.
ds 12 RevtoRev
dd 9 Preparing
dd 7 Beyond
ds 5 Little Hearts
dd due September 20th

twoxcell

Re: ?? about Little Hearts

Post by twoxcell » Sat Aug 21, 2010 11:08 am

One other question with her age should I stretch it out a bit, and how is that accomplished? I want her to start Beyond when she can do the emerging reader schedule. Right now she can read cvc words, and as soon as she sets her mind to it she will probably take off in reading. Who knows when that will be, because she is a very bright stubborn 4 year old lol.
ds 12 RevtoRev
dd 9 Preparing
dd 7 Beyond
ds 5 Little Hearts
dd due September 20th

creativemommy

Post by creativemommy » Sat Aug 21, 2010 1:47 pm

The R&S Do It Carefully & Finding the Answer books are used to practice with Fine Motor Skills on the days Handwriting is not done. They are black/white pages and teach various concepts/skills like:
  • matching
    listening
    tracing
    cutting
    sequencing
    predicting
    coloring
You could use other workbooks you have at home, but I personally like these because they are more in-depth and require more skills than most other workbooks I've seen from big box stores. :wink: And, it's so nice to have it all planned for you because you just follow the pages assigned in the LHFHG book. :D

I think you could do the activities for the Earlybird 2A book without having the workbook. The activities compliment the workbook and are lots of fun! Especially if you use edible manipulatives (choc chips, marshmallows, goldfish crackers) some days. :wink:

You could always do LHFHG half-speed this year and next, putting your daughter in Beyond when she's 7. I can't give advice on doing half-speed as we've not done it, but I know I've seen threads about it in the forum. :) The Emerging Readers can be done when using LHFHG. I did it with my son last year. If you want the order of books and comprehension questions, you will want to buy the Beyond guide book.

One thing you may want to think about with having her do Beyond when she's 5 or 6 is the amount of writing (copywork, spelling words, etc) that is done. I had thought about placing my son in Beyond last year (he was 6 in Sept) but I waited another year and did LHFHG instead with the 1st grade options for him along with the Emerging Readers and lots of other books from our shelves here at home. I'm glad I waited. He would have struggled with Beyond last year, but this year it's perfect for him.
~Beth
Used & Loved LHTH, LHFHG, BLHFHG, & Bigger

twoxcell

Post by twoxcell » Sat Aug 21, 2010 4:55 pm

Thanks so much! I actually have Beyond, and the emergent reader set, because my 7 year old is using them right now.
ds 12 RevtoRev
dd 9 Preparing
dd 7 Beyond
ds 5 Little Hearts
dd due September 20th