prayer request

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
LivinNandByHim

prayer request

Post by LivinNandByHim » Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:18 pm

Have been reading from this board quite a while and had hoped to join the numbers of HOD HS'ers out there this year. Unfortunately, this has not worked out at this time; and although, I have had a heart sick struggle with the Lord over this, I know that He is able to view our circumstances with a perfect viewpoint. My concern is still for my 9 year old who struggles daily with school and with the change in household / circumstances. I feel fairly convinced that he has ADD (not really hyper, but struggles terribly with his attention, focus, and task management.) He is bright. He is loving. He is easily stressed and overwhelmed. His mind is always in one place and his body in another. And finally my dh has acknowledged that our son seems to have a problem that regular and firm discipline has not been able to change. He only gets more stressed and depressed about things when pressure is put on him. This is his second year of playing football, and he says he likes it, but he can't seem to get his head in the game. Sitting on the sidelines, I'm afraid his self esteem is going to continue to fall. He hates going to school. He is not a morning person. He hates getting up in the morning. I don't know if this is depression or just an individual need for more sleep than the others. The other three kiddos are going to do fine in PS. They are enjoying the stimulation, activities, and social aspect of PS. And we do have a good school in the area where we live. But I need to find the right place for my son. So frequently my heart aches for him. He has a hard time making friends... he does things without thinking; he is frequently put down by other kids for not being tough, cool, etc. And he hasn't learned to let it roll off his back. To stand up for himself. I think I may have hurt him by teaching him to be passive and separating him in the name of Christianity. This is the part that I personally have struggled with so much, is that I have limited him and handicapped him, through my own erroneous views of faith and life. I need the Lord's direction. I want to have him evaluated to determine if he has a legitimate disorder / delay. My mommy's heart wants to bring him home and" give him more room to grow at his own pace in a sheltered environment", but... I wonder if this thinking has at least partially created the problem. Really, though, I see a lot of the same struggles in myself that I see in him , (a hereditary disorder?? ADD). My daughter is totally opposite though... She is only 5 and very like her dad. strong, independent and outward focused. I know this is terribly long and doesn't really apply to HOD, except I really think we could have a great time in this curriculum. I need God to put together for us the answer to my ds healing and wholeness - whatever that may be for him. I love all you wonderful moms out there that are doing this good work of schooling your children and loving and living for the Lord. God bless you all. Thank you for those who whisper a prayer for us!

gotpeace91

Re: prayer request

Post by gotpeace91 » Wed Aug 18, 2010 8:21 am

Just prayed for the Lord's direction for you so you'll know what's best to be done. :)
~Leah
Wife to the Man I Love since 1994
DS 15 Missions to Modern Marvels
DD 14 Resurrection to Reformation

4Hispraise

Post by 4Hispraise » Wed Aug 18, 2010 10:49 am

Just whispered to my Father for you. May the One who created your son give you insight and wisdom, and His gentle guidance. Trusting Him with you!

Shelly
Shelly- bride of 22 yrs. to My Hero
Mom to 2 treasures on earth, and 2 treasures in Heaven
DS - 16
DS - 7 Bigger Hearts For His Glory

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Sat Aug 21, 2010 4:17 pm

I'm lifting you up in prayer! Just know that the Lord created your son the way He is and no amount of toughening up can prepare a Christian to live in a sin-filled world and not be affected by it. If the Lord lays it on your heart to bring your son home, you can be sure it is His best for your son. Remember that even our Lord and Savior spent his youth at home and did not really go out into the world into He was called into His ministry in His early 30's!

Blessings,
Carrie