Just Started Beyond this week! YAY!

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
tnahid

Just Started Beyond this week! YAY!

Post by tnahid » Thu Aug 12, 2010 11:40 pm

Well, I just started Beyond this week with my 7 and 9 year old. It is really going well! They are really enjoying the read-aloud times together. For my 9 year old, I am doing all of the left side of the page with him together with his brother (even little almost 4 year old is right along side us for all the read alouds!) But, for the LA, I am using Language Lessons for the Elementary Child, Sequential Spelling, A Reason for Handwriting, and Teaching Textbooks (computer math 3rd grade), and DITHOR. All of these, he can do more on his own, and he likes it that way. Except the DITHOR, we do that together. My youngest also does A Reason for Handwriting, and Language Lessons for the Young Child, Singapore Math, and everything else in the Beyond. He is quite advanced for his age, so I am thinking he may need to bypass the Singapore A and go on to the B. We will see. He is also reading more on a 3rd grade level, but I am still going to just do the Emerging readers with him this year. I don't want to overwhelm him.

My 4 year old is loving doing Little Hands. I am just picking and choosing what to do in that as we go along. She really loves the A-A-Adam song. She has been involved in all of our learning in Beyond so far, so I am not really too worried about it. She is picking up a lot through that! The boys also want to do the Contenders of the Faith club (on their own) so they can earn pins to wear on their sash. So, they have chosen things to work on in that book as well. I am counting this as their science for this year.

My 9 year old is reading on 4th grade level, but he is just in 3rd grade math. He was one year behind in school because we started him one year later. We did that with both of them. I haven't regretted that decision, as many things seem easier for them than they would otherwise I think.

I am really enjoying the read alouds, etc. I am learning so much myself. Thanks to HOD. Blessings!

P.S. Does it sound like my 9 year old is getting enough of what he needs from Beyond? Just wanna make sure what you think. We are really busy and it seems like plenty to me, but just wondering what you thought.

Tina
Tina
ds 11 -- DITHOR 4/5 and other curriculum
ds 9 -- Preparing and DITHOR
dd 5 -- 1st grade variety of curriculum
Wife of a loving DH 12 years
starting our 4th year of home education, 3rd year of HOD and DITHOR, so blessed...what a journey!