Spelling 2nd grade with Beyond

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
MistyP

Spelling 2nd grade with Beyond

Post by MistyP » Thu Aug 12, 2010 4:59 pm

We will be starting 1st & 2nd grade using Beyond on Monday! :D We really enjoyed LHFHG last year. My DD #1 can pretty much spell all of the spelling words in List #2; except maybe all the months......

Does the spelling lists go along with the grammar lessons? Or can I go with something harder for her?? Any recommendations?

Thanks!
Misty
Misty
Mommy to 6!

daybreaking

Re: Spelling 2nd grade with Beyond

Post by daybreaking » Thu Aug 12, 2010 5:58 pm

The grammar is separate from the spelling, so substituting is not a problem. We were in the same boat as you and Carrie recommended using Beyond, but with the Dictation from Bigger.

Wife to one amazing husband and mother to two precious blessings from above:
ds21 & dd16

MistyP

Post by MistyP » Fri Aug 13, 2010 7:58 pm

Great! Thanks! So, there is not spelling in Bigger??
Misty
Mommy to 6!

daybreaking

Post by daybreaking » Fri Aug 13, 2010 8:05 pm

MistyP wrote:Great! Thanks! So, there is not spelling in Bigger??
Bigger has two choices for spelling, either a spelling list (which is the same as the 2nd list in Beyond) or dictation passages. Once a child has mastered the two spelling lists, any further spelling instruction is via dictation.

Wife to one amazing husband and mother to two precious blessings from above:
ds21 & dd16

MistyP

Post by MistyP » Fri Aug 13, 2010 8:12 pm

daybreaking wrote:
MistyP wrote:Great! Thanks! So, there is not spelling in Bigger??
Bigger has two choices for spelling, either a spelling list (which is the same as the 2nd list in Beyond) or dictation passages. Once a child has mastered the two spelling lists, any further spelling instruction is via dictation.
okay, thanks! I may pick through the Beyond lists and find some that may be a bit more of a review for her but she did most of them last year and usually got 100% right....
Misty
Mommy to 6!

Tree House Academy

Post by Tree House Academy » Sat Aug 14, 2010 9:16 pm

With Beyond, we use R&S Spelling and do the dictation from Bigger for my ds7 who is a great speller/reader/writer. It is working well. :)
~Rebecca~

ds13(8th) - Rev to Rev w/ TT Pre-Algebra, R&S English 6, CLE Reading 8, Rosetta Stone French
ds9 (4th) - Preparing Hearts, TT Math 4, R&S English 3, CLE Reading 4, & Writeshop Jr.

We have completed LHFHG, BLHFHG, Bigger, CTC, & RTR.

twoxcell

Post by twoxcell » Mon Aug 16, 2010 12:22 pm

We are using All About Spelling with Beyond, and I use the 2nd Beyond list for extra dictation.
ds 12 RevtoRev
dd 9 Preparing
dd 7 Beyond
ds 5 Little Hearts
dd due September 20th