HOD/CM way of spelling with dyslexic child?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
crlacey

HOD/CM way of spelling with dyslexic child?

Post by crlacey » Wed Aug 11, 2010 4:33 pm

My DD is struggling with some level of dyslexia (like her Dad). I know phonics has been like pulling teeth with this child. She's reading finally, though very painfully reading still. I was wondering if any others have used just the spelling lists, then dictation as HOD directs instead of a traditional rules based spelling program with a dyslexic child. The little I have learned about teaching a dyslexic child is that traditional phonics is usually very painful if not impossible. So we've gotten through a basic program to get her reading and now we are just doing lots of reading to improve her skills. Programs like All About Spelling are recommended for dyslexics, but what about the HOD/CM way?
Crystal
DD 20 married college graduate
DS 17 college student
DD 11 CTC

Finished: LHTH, LHFHG, BLHFHG, BHFHG, PHFHG, CTC, Res to Ref, Rev to Rev, MTMM, parts of WG and WH

krismoose

Re: HOD/CM way of spelling with dyslexic child?

Post by krismoose » Thu Aug 12, 2010 8:19 am

bump :)
Kristen
Loved LHTH & LHFHG :)
DS8 (2nd) WWE1, HOD dictation, Sequential Spelling, SM 2B, VP OT/AE & SOTW1 history, Song School Latin, Getting Started With Spanish
DD6 (K) Saxon Math 1, VP Phonics Museum K
DD3 cutting, gluing, more cutting :D

crlacey

Post by crlacey » Fri Aug 13, 2010 6:01 am

Can anyone point me to where I could find the answer?
Crystal
DS 17 college student
DD 11 CTC

Finished: LHTH, LHFHG, BLHFHG, BHFHG, PHFHG, CTC, Res to Ref, Rev to Rev, MTMM, parts of WG and WH

gotpeace91

Post by gotpeace91 » Fri Aug 13, 2010 10:13 am

I'm sorry, Crystal. I don't know the answer and I believe Julie and Carrie are working on the next Teacher's Manual this week. As soon as they get back I'm sure they will have a good answer for you. I'm sure there are a lot of us watching this thread to hear an answer including myself. :D Please don't think we are ignoring you. :)
~Leah
Wife to the Man I Love since 1994
DS 15 Missions to Modern Marvels
DD 14 Resurrection to Reformation

Michelle

Post by Michelle » Fri Aug 13, 2010 10:53 am

My friend has a dyslexic child and she uses something called Barton. I believe it's for dyslexics and I think it incorporates phonics and spelling. She's very happy with it and has used it for years.

Also, my ds (10yo) can read ok, but can't spell at all and still gets his b and d's mixed up all the time. In searching for something to help him I stumbled across Sequential Spelling. Created by a dyslexic, it's a spelling program just for them. I haven't used it yet, but I think I will use it in addition to dictation this year. I used only dictation last year and it was ok. I began him in level 2 and it took us all year to finish even though he was in 4th grade. What I did find that I liked about using dictation was that it quickly put him in the habit of using a capital letter to begin a sentence and a period at the end. Sounds silly, but he never did that before (always forgot) and after a few weeks of dictation he was A LOT better at remembering to do that.

And, of course, there is All About Spelling. I'm just more attracted to Sequential Spelling since it seems so much simpler (and cheaper), but we all just have to use what works best with our kids.
HTH
God bless,
Michelle
12 yo ds using R to R for 6th grade!
8 yo dd using BHFHG for 3rd grade!

crlacey

Post by crlacey » Tue Aug 17, 2010 4:15 pm

Giving another bump to page one in hopes that someone knows.
Crystal
DS 17 college student
DD 11 CTC

dajihernandez

Post by dajihernandez » Tue Aug 17, 2010 8:44 pm

This is my third attempt to answer your question.

I have a child that is dyslexic. I do believe that you can teach a child with dyslexia using the HOD/CM method with very high retention. You just need to make sure that you are using as many senses as possible creating multiple pathways for the information to be stored thus making it easier for the information to be retrieved later.
CM method suggests using passages of copywork to learn spelling. This can work with a dyslexic child that is already reading fluently. In your post you said that you daughter is still painfully reading my suggestion would be maybe to take some time and work on fluency. There are many ways to do this. One is parot reading (reading a passage through so the child can follow you with the words and the timing) Then have the child read though the same passage untill they can read it in 60 seconds or less. Ideally the passage will get gradually get harder and longer as the childs ability increases. If you have the resources One minute readers are made for this.Another idea would be to work on specific words list. Making a list of words that, timing for 30 seconds with a goal of at least 60 words read in that time. A great place to download some list for this word be the abcedarian website. If your child is having trouble with phonemes and or sounding out words still I would suggest getting a remedial phonics program that is based on the Orton gillingham method. One such as Wilson or Barton. Both of these programs include spelling as well as they believe teaching spelling along with reading creates two pathways for the information to be stored. If you child is having trouble with skipping lines ect. when reading I suggest purchasing or making reading over lays.

Dyslexia is very common but it not only effects reading but most of the time is also effects remembering and understanding. If this is a problem agian include more of the senses in your teaching. You can also make a point when speaking or reading to take time to stop and explain hard words or phases.

You may be doing all of these things and that is great. Just trying to offer some advice.

If you feel like you daughter is ready for copy word passages to learn spelling then I would suggest adding some activities that will help with understanding such as dictionary work (this can be done with a parent) and activities that include some of the other senses. It may be just as simple as making the child read each word outloud ( it is really important that it is outloud) while writing it.

I hope this helps. I am not sure that is will but hope it will.

Blessing and good luck!

crlacey

Post by crlacey » Wed Aug 18, 2010 5:38 am

Thanks so much. That does help. I have noticed that she has trouble remembering things like math facts or even directions that we give her. But she's great if something has been set to music. I'll have to remember to have her use letter tiles and write her spelling words in sand more often.
Crystal
DS 17 college student
DD 11 CTC

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Sat Aug 21, 2010 10:40 am

Sorry to just be answering here, but I will say I've talked with quite a number of moms who have dyslexic dc doing HOD's CM method of spelling with good results! :D Carrie has planned the writing in the sand activity (as well as other tactile ones) in the LA box of the plans on the review days already (she rotates them) - so no need to try to remember to add that in yourself. :D I would go ahead and begin the plans using Spelling List 1 and making sure to do every step of the HOD plans with dd, and I think she will make slow and steady progress over time. :)

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Sun Aug 22, 2010 3:56 pm

Crystal,

I'm sorry we're just catching up on the board right now, so I apologize for the delay. :D The ladies have already been a tremendous help! I'll just pop-in to say that the CM studied dictation method truly addresses the very problem dyslexics have, which is learning to visualize the word correctly in their minds. We speak to many, many moms who have used multiple spelling programs with both dyslexics and just plain struggling spellers (who aren't dyslexic), who finally find their children progressing when steadily using studied dictation. :D

Like any method, it is one that takes time to show its true ingenuity. But, part of the beauty of studied dicatation is that it works well for those who struggle with spelling and those who are excellent spellers. I would definitely encourage you to begin with the lists in the HOD guide and move into dictation after that, prior to using another program where your little one may end up seeing words spelled incorrectly too much (resulting in the incorrect spelling looking right). :wink: That is a hard habit to undo later!

By the way, I'm praising the Lord that your daughter is moving forward with her phonics... slow or not! Progress is to be celebrated! :D

Blessings,
Carrie

lovedtodeath

Post by lovedtodeath » Sun Aug 22, 2010 9:37 pm

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=6440

This thread will probably help you. There is a lot of information there about studied dictation. Every dyslexic child is different. There are also different reasons for dyslexia. The CM/HOD method may work for you.

There is quite a bit of information on dyslexia in the (non-commercial) web page linked in my signature. We are enjoying Phonics Road as the spelling rules are in tune form. :)
Carmen, teaching Jake 3 and Emily 8
Third grade coming up:
HOD Bigger, Phonics Road 2, Math Mammoth.
http://www.thephonicspage.org/index.html

Tansy

Post by Tansy » Mon Aug 23, 2010 6:17 pm

Hi crlacy,
I'm back from vacation and sorry I wasn't checking the board.

I can tell you the technique my Dad used to teach me to spell most of which was memorization.

Technique #1 I had my list of words and I had to copy them 3 times.
Then Dad made an audio tape it sounded like this:
past P, A, S, T. Past write Past ... long pause... past P, A, S, T did you get it right?

cast C, A, S, T, cast write cast ... long pause... cast C, A, S, T. did you get it right?

I listened to and wrote out that tape every day till my test. I would still make mistakes but I would pass my test. The immediate self check really helped me see when I spelled a word wrong. Recognizing When the word is spelled wrong is still a problem for me to this day. So maybe this works maybe it doesn't. :?

Technique #2 Dad And I would make up word pictures to help me spell the big baduns To this day I picture the loch"ness" monster "in" a "bus" to spell business get it bus in ness. I saw in pictures not in letter sequences. I would doodle the images on my test to help me spell the words. My school was All Dick and Jane so I did learn to sight read. But till I taught phonics I never understood the rules behind why words were pronounced the way they were!!!

You may have to try many methods till you find one that works for your daughter.
Many blessings!
Tansy
♪♫•*¨*•.¸❤¸.•*¨*•♪♫•*¨*•.¸❤¸.•*¨*•♪♫
Dyslexics of the world Untie!
Adoptive Mom to 2 girls
http://gardenforsara.blogspot.com/
♪♫•*¨*•.¸❤¸.•*¨*•♪♫•*¨*•.¸❤¸.•*¨*•♪♫

mom2samlibby

Post by mom2samlibby » Mon Aug 23, 2010 8:00 pm

From my research on dyslexics (my son is), I have heard and read that only an Orton Gillingham system will really help with reading and spelling.
Have used:
Bigger, Preparing, CTC
Son, 17, with dyslexia, doing MtMM with extensions
Daughter, 14, using Rev to Rev with extensions

lovedtodeath

Post by lovedtodeath » Mon Aug 23, 2010 8:07 pm

mom2samlibby wrote:From my research on dyslexics (my son is), I have heard and read that only an Orton Gillingham system will really help with reading and spelling.
I just wanted to say that there are many to choose from. Wilson and Barton are not the only ones. We have used How to Teach Spelling from the OG website, All About Spelling, and The Phonics Road.
Carmen, teaching Jake 3 and Emily 8
Third grade coming up:
HOD Bigger, Phonics Road 2, Math Mammoth.
http://www.thephonicspage.org/index.html

crlacey

Post by crlacey » Tue Aug 24, 2010 12:58 pm

Thanks for the help! I'm still trying to figure out what will work best for DD.
Crystal
DS 17 college student
DD 11 CTC